E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
ganeshkrishna

My Ride: 06' ///M3 Vert
To tint or not to tint ... advice welcomed

Hey guys, I'm getting some work done at the shop on my 06' white M3 vert (pic below). I am considering tinting the windows.

Two questions for you:
1. Do you recommend I do it and
2. If yes, what % (I'm in NYC where cops have bigger fish to fry).

I have always loved white cars with dark tints. That said, I have always been slightly adverse to doing mine because the black tint won't match the black vert top and I hate that it wont be a clean look. And when the top is down the windows are usually down so its an issue only with the top up.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	485461   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	485462   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	485492   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	485493  

Name:	photo 1 (2).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	485494  

Last edited by ganeshkrishna; 01-10-2013 at 03:56 PM.
ganeshkrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I went through the same thought process, as my top is down 90% of the time. However, tint does help in looks and protection so I went with 35%. My decision was based on: it provides a nice tint, but it's light enough to not attract LEO attention, provides a nice look, gives sun protection, and it's still easy to see out of at night. If you're looking for something that gives it a slightly edgier look with the same features, go 30% IMHO. 35% is pretty mild, but it works. If you're looking for a dark, more aggressive look, 20% or more works.

EDIT. BTW, this was for my sides and rear, and I prefer the same all the way around. Some people like to limo tint their rears, rear/sides which is legal. The car in your pic looks good to me. Just don't scrimp on the tint, and good job at a reputable shop with quality tint runs over $200 around here.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 01-10-2013 at 01:43 PM.
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
ganeshkrishna

Great advice. Thanks. Do you by chance have a photo with your top up and the tints readily available?

Also, being in NYC I have the top up at least 60% of the time (don't really drive it in the winter).
Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
IMO tint always improves the appearance of the car and has a few slight benefits - go for it!
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
johnrando

You're welcome. Depending on the light/angle of viewing, here are 2 pics. The 1st one is more representative. It was actually taken to show some since repaired top damage. The 2nd pic was taken to show the drop after my H&R Cup Kit install.

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 01-10-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Sh1t, no you got me thinking of tinting my vert. Never really crossed my mind before. Normally I tint all my cars, however with a convertible I didn't really see the point, but yours looks good tinted.

I guess a light tint wouldn't hurt.

Too dark and it will look silly when top is down & windows are up, IMO.

Nice M3 by the way! It does look like there is a light tint already, is that possible?

Last edited by Poncho@home; 01-10-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
E46DreaM3r

My Ride: 03 Imola Vert M3
5% all around
E46DreaM3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Im a fan of the fishbowl look but thats just me

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
ganeshkrishna

@johnrando -- your car looks great. Thanks for posting the pics.

@poncho -- i think the stock glass has a slight polarization to it which makes it look tinted in some angles.

After doing a google search for white vert M3's with tints I am leaning toward no tint, I think it just looks cleaner without it and I do have to ride 60% of the time with the top up in NYC.

Check it out: https://www.google.com/search?q=whit...OO670QHSp4HIDw

I have attached a few examples of ones that I think just don't work with the black vert top. I have kept my car pretty much completely stock as I love the original look, so I may just skip the tint, but am still open to your alls opinions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	192757_519860711360981_1418443312_o.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	485489   Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbbsche46m3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	485490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2994a.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	485491  
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
johnrando

Thanks. To each his own. I think it would look good if you found the right color, but of course it's what you think that matters. There are some that are more grey vs. black, so you might want to ask a professional tint person if you're still interested in options. I totally get keeping the OEM look. I don't think the right tint would hurt that too much, and it's removable. GL w/your decision.

Last edited by johnrando; 01-10-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 04 SMG
i say do 35% since you have dark interior... i have same color but IR inside so i went with 15% looks good
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I like cleaning my windows too much and would worry about scratching the tint...and also, in NJ, you can't tint front windows at all. Also, since I'm older than most of you guys, my eyes aren't what they used to be...I want to see as well as I can at night.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I want to see as well as I can at night.
I read somewhere that your night vision diminishes by 1/2 for every 12 years of age. Can't remember (or verify) the source, but I can't see nearly as well at night as I could 24 years ago.

I wouldn't tint my convertible either, but that's a personal preference. I've never liked dark tint.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Good quality window tint is very resistant. On my DD, i have had tint on since 2007, no issues at all and I wash/detail my cars religiously. It all depends on the film used.

As for night visibilty, i am getting older as well, but its not too bad,again if a good film is used.

Aside from that it boils down to personal taste. On my other cars, I wouldn't have it any other way, however on a vert I still don't what I would do, or will do for that matter. But if I did, again it would be very light
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
I started a thread just like this in the general forum a couple months back. I have since tinted mine and I wish I went with a lighter tint. Keep in mind what "dmax" stated when he said he wanted to see at night. The first night with my tints I hated it..... Having to put the windows down in New Engalnd in the winter to make sure there is no cars coming is a joke! I work nights and I'm going to be removing the dark tints as soon as I get time.

Just be careful on how dark you go if you decide to tint.
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #16
petemo94

My Ride: 2004 325CiC
Heard rumors that tinting over the "bubbles" on the window edges will cause more squeaks than you want. Its on the trailing edge of the front windows and the leading edges of the rear windows.

Did any of you experience this?

I'm debating whether to tint because of this.

PeteMo94
2004 325Cic, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Owned since 12/1/12
E46 Merit Badges: OFHG, WP, ET, AT-T, ICV, CCV, Fluids (5)

petemo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
adamdifilippo

My Ride: The M
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er75 View Post
I started a thread just like this in the general forum a couple months back. I have since tinted mine and I wish I went with a lighter tint. Keep in mind what "dmax" stated when he said he wanted to see at night. The first night with my tints I hated it..... Having to put the windows down in New Engalnd in the winter to make sure there is no cars coming is a joke! I work nights and I'm going to be removing the dark tints as soon as I get time.

Just be careful on how dark you go if you decide to tint.
I got LASIK and my eyes are very light sensitive; can't stand a lot of light and can't see when its dark. I have 20% on my car and I can't back into my driveway without putting my windows down if its night time. I'm in Boston so this is really inconvenient when it's cold out. I put LED reverse lights in and it helps a little, but not perfect. If your eyes aren't that good, be prepared for this. In my opinion, its worth the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemo94 View Post
Heard rumors that tinting over the "bubbles" on the window edges will cause more squeaks than you want. Its on the trailing edge of the front windows and the leading edges of the rear windows.

Did any of you experience this?

I'm debating whether to tint because of this.
I thought my tint was crappy because the tint looks weird over the window edges, but I took it to a few shops after and they said they wouldn't be able to do a better job because of the texture around the edges of the windows, its just how it comes out. Wish I had pics to show what I mean, but I don't right now. (Its cold out and I'm lazy)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
adamdifilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
petemo94

My Ride: 2004 325CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdifilippo View Post

I thought my tint was crappy because the tint looks weird over the window edges, but I took it to a few shops after and they said they wouldn't be able to do a better job because of the texture around the edges of the windows, its just how it comes out. Wish I had pics to show what I mean, but I don't right now. (Its cold out and I'm lazy)

I know exactly what that looks like. Something you have to deal with.

Did this tint on these edges increase your noise/creaking of the car? That's what I would want to avoid. Thx!

PeteMo94
2004 325Cic, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Owned since 12/1/12
E46 Merit Badges: OFHG, WP, ET, AT-T, ICV, CCV, Fluids (5)

petemo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
johnrando

My night vision is fine but seeing out of dark tinted windows is not easy for me, hence the 35%. I've had no problems with that. Oh, and I'm on the + side of older too, lol.

Last edited by johnrando; 01-10-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
adamdifilippo

My Ride: The M
Quote:
Originally Posted by petemo94 View Post
I know exactly what that looks like. Something you have to deal with.

Did this tint on these edges increase your noise/creaking of the car? That's what I would want to avoid. Thx!
I haven't noticed any noise or creaking due to tint. I mean, the car is 12 years old, but I think the only creaking in the car is coming from rear seats not seated correctly. I'm 99% sure it is NOT due to the tint tho. Wish I could verify this for you, maybe this weekend I can give you a solid answer.

adamdifilippo is offline   Reply With Quote