E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
318max

My Ride: 318 E46
manual gear changing problems

Hi guys having a lot of problems from my 330ci basically since I've had it on the way home from picking it up, I went up to 4.5k/5k revs and it got stuck in gear, its happened about 4-5times now and it isn't a good feeling! Also the gear stick doesn't sit in the middle it sits to the right and gear changes arnt smooth.

Also when going from 2nd / 4th to 3rd / 5th its very difficult to get the correct gear, I mostly hit the wrong gears which is annoying

What the garage recommended was changing the gear linkage bushes.. It drove like a new car for 30mins, now its doing the same again

I went back to the garage and the head mechanic said that if it isn't fixed, then it will be something inside the transmission itself... now I am very worried that they are wrong and I will end up paying for a transmission rebuild only to find out its not the problem?

Also cause the gear stick/shifter is sitting off-centre it leads me to think its still related to gear linkage or something simple-ish !

I have made a little video before the linkages were done, since then there is less freeplay however its made no improvement but I hope you understand my accent

Any help would be so so so much appreciated, Thankyou!
318max is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
nuk1ear

My Ride: E46 M3
i dont know a great deal about 330CI, but typical things you check before going into the gearbox include:
-gear linkage bushings and assembly (sounds like you have done that)
-clutch master and slave cylinders, rebleed the system
-clutch adjustment for pedal play/throw, make sure that its actually full disengaging and fully engaging the clutch.
-make sure the car actually has the correct shifter arm? sounds like it could also be some homebrand short shifter from a different car?

the type of issue (cannot select the correct gears?) does not sound like an internal gearbox problem at all. Many shops when they see a euro car just see $$$ and wanna do as much work as possible to milk u dry
nuk1ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
318max

Hi thanks for your help, the main problems are getting stuck in gears, and the gearstick isn't sitting in the middle, which means its very difficult to select the correct gear, and sometimes shifting isn't very smooth at all..

How would I check if the clutch is fully disengaging and engaging?

Im pretty sure everything is standard. the mechanic who did the bushes is quite knowledgeable when it comes to bmw's but I cant take his word when it comes to the problem being inside the transmission, he's adamant its not the gear linkage as he said all bushes are fine But I just have a feeling its not internal transmission problem..
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Johal E32

My Ride: E46 323iT/5, M5 E39
Detent springs inside the transmission.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-...mw-zfdetentkit

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1581658
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
318max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
wow that does seem like a very possible option the only thing it that doesn't add up is that it gets stuck ingear?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
nuk1ear

yeh only just saw the video. Looks like the springs are completely stuffed.

Last edited by nuk1ear; 01-10-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
318max

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuk1ear View Post
yeh only just saw the video. Looks like the springs are completely stuffed.
what do you think could be causing it to stick in gear at high rpm? thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
nuk1ear

How old is the clutch? With my evo there are lots of issues with high RPM lockout
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
318max

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuk1ear View Post
How old is the clutch? With my evo there are lots of issues with high RPM lockout
car is on 90k but no paperwork for a clutch at all, seems to be fine not slipping or anything at the moment, guess ill find out when the Detent springs get done, transmission box will be removed for that so I guess the garage will let me know if the clutch needs doing too

im hoping that getting stuck in gear issue will be fixed by new detent springs and some fresh gearbox oil
Old 10-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
//MPOSTER

My Ride: 01 AP White 330ci
Send a message via Yahoo to //MPOSTER
manual gear changing problems

Hey sorry to reopen this thread but what was the final thing that you did to fix this issue? I am having something similar that the shifter doesn't stay in the middle in neutral position ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
//MPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote