E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
AC Yate

My Ride: BMW E46
Cost estimate for brake pad replacement??

My brake pad sensor went on a few weeks ago so I'm trying to get an idea on how much it's going to cost to replace them. Last time I paid $730 for new pads and rotors. Looking back at some past threads, I think I paid too much. Anyway, I'm going to be getting rid of the car next year so I need the lowest cost replacement. I'm assuming I won't be needing new rotors since the light just went on and probably on have about under 200 miles since the warning light went on. Can someone give me a rough idea on the cost? I don't have the tools or garage to do a DIY, so I'll have to take it to a mechanic. Last time they charged $240 for labor (brakes and rotor). Thanks.
AC Yate is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Dude people sell new and used pads on here. I have a set of sensors brand new and used pads..

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
Check the sponsor vendors, a set of pads and a new sensor should cost approx $60-$100... not 5 times that.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
look on craigslist or kijiji for afterhour mechanics... I charge $50 for labour to do front or back brakes.. $100 for both with pads and rotors.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
Dude people sell new and used pads on here. I have a set of sensors brand new and used pads..
You would really put USED pads on your car? Pads that have been formed to different rotors? You might want to cheap out, fair enough, but stopping the car is not the place to do so. You can buy pads all round for what? $120? You can spend that on a night out on the piss.

Word to the OP. You don't feel any sense of responsibility to the poor sap who ends up with your car? Put some decent brakes on her. Doesn't matter whether you are selling her.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP...textar pads are OE...see bmaparts.com around $50...sensor is cheap...you probably don't need rotors, you know.

Cost, as said, about $60...plus maybe 2 hours of reading time so you know what to do.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
AC Yate

THanks. Is that $50-60 for each? So about $100-120 for all 4? Also, what would be a reasonable amount to pay for labor? Perhaps a range would be nice? Thank you.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Yate View Post
THanks. Is that $50-60 for each? So about $100-120 for all 4? Also, what would be a reasonable amount to pay for labor? Perhaps a range would be nice? Thank you.
Get it on the ramp. Jack it up = 15 minutes. 15 minutes per wheel = 1 hour.
Get it off the ramp and road test = 15 minutes. Total 1 hour 30 minutes.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
$60/axle...but, if you did all four corners, pads and rotors, I'd bet you anything that all you need is the front pads and sensor. The rear pads would be fine for almost twice the miles...all rotors should take another set of pads fine.

You might add some time to Ray's estimate...no need to race...and clean up the mating surfaces well...clean/grease guidepin bushings...anti-squeal cream on the back of pads...that's about it. BTW, bmw tis says 'don't' grease the guidepin bushing, but many here do...and my rebuilt calipers came greased...just use brake grease!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Yate View Post
My brake pad sensor went on a few weeks ago so I'm trying to get an idea on how much it's going to cost to replace them. Last time I paid $730 for new pads and rotors. Looking back at some past threads, I think I paid too much. Anyway, I'm going to be getting rid of the car next year so I need the lowest cost replacement. I'm assuming I won't be needing new rotors since the light just went on and probably on have about under 200 miles since the warning light went on. Can someone give me a rough idea on the cost? I don't have the tools or garage to do a DIY, so I'll have to take it to a mechanic. Last time they charged $240 for labor (brakes and rotor). Thanks.
I bought Zimmerman rotors and ATE pads from BMAParts.com for about $300 total. Labor shouldn't be more than 2 hours. I can do the job myself in about that time and I don't get to use a lift like the mechanic will. It should be $500 total for the job I would guess. I should note that there isn't anything "BMW special" about our brakes, so it's a very easy DIY if you have a jack and stands, but you already said you don't.

Oh and if you replaced the rotors last time, then you don't need to get new ones. Just do the pads and have the rotors turned on a lathe if they are uneven.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-11-2013 at 07:56 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
The hardest part of the whole job is removing the caliper carrier. Mine always gets seized in there really good. I almost want to use anti-seize in the bolts, but I'm afraid of doing that. I stripped my bolt with a breaker bar. Now I need to use an impact wrench and bolt extractor kit.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Yeah - about right assuming the rotors aren't fused to the hub. If they are, could be a much longer and more frustrating job I think?

I've seen some tricks on youtube for popping fused rotors off using some bolts and the caliper mounting bracket - any of you guys have other tricks for separating a fused rotor from the hub?

I've got this job coming up in the spring/summer - which is why I ask.

Thanks!
-G
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Since you don't have the ability to DIY your labor costs might be about $100/hr all depending on the shop. My guess would be 2-4 hrs of labor depending on the shop(try searching in here for some actuals to have #'s to compare it to). So add that to the cost of parts that you buy and you should have a rough estimate.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Manny330

My Ride: 02 330i
Send a message via AIM to Manny330
I paid 560. 360 for Zimmerman rotors and Pagid pads and 180 for installation. I would by the stuff and have someone install it just ask for a quote beforehand.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
Yeah - about right assuming the rotors aren't fused to the hub. If they are, could be a much longer and more frustrating job I think?

I've seen some tricks on youtube for popping fused rotors off using some bolts and the caliper mounting bracket - any of you guys have other tricks for separating a fused rotor from the hub?

I've got this job coming up in the spring/summer - which is why I ask.

Thanks!
-G
They should come off quite easily with a hammer assuming you can get the rotor screw out. Just smack the top edge with a hammer and keep your toes out of the way.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko_10 View Post
Since you don't have the ability to DIY your labor costs might be about $100/hr all depending on the shop. My guess would be 2-4 hrs of labor depending on the shop(try searching in here for some actuals to have #'s to compare it to). So add that to the cost of parts that you buy and you should have a rough estimate.
Most shops charge around 1.5-2 hours to do a brake job. That's about $150-200. Try going to the dealership and talk to one of the techs, he might know someone who is willing to do it on the side or after the shop closes. Saves you money and puts cash in his pocket.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
omg A e46

My Ride: 323i
Just do it your self so easy
omg A e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
AC Yate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
How about for someone that's never done this before so I'd be following instructions while doing the repair work. Also, can this be done with a simple jack one wheel at a time? I'm thinking about searching for afterhours mechanics vs. DIY but if I do it myself, then I'd have to make sure I have all the tools and extra parts in order. Do you think an afterhours mechanic (say from Craigslist) can do all four wheels (just pads and sensors, not rotors) for say 2 hours labor? Thanks again for the replies.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
Snapasaurus

My Ride: 2005 325i SULEV
I paid 600$ including labor. Brembo pads and rotors.
Snapasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
What part of VA are you in? I can do the replacement easily. I live in MD. PM me if you want to try and work out details. I've done it on my car and my brothers e46.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter

Last edited by moiz21; 01-11-2013 at 05:34 PM.
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote