Review - New UUC Strutbar available for E46 - Strutbarbarian - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements > Site Sponsor Specials and Sales

Site Sponsor Specials and Sales
Find out about the latest specials and sales from our site sponsors here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
Review - New UUC Strutbar available for E46 - Strutbarbarian

We just got these into stock here at BavAuto. Nice pieces, they seem to fit very well. I put it on my own car last evening, everything went into place pretty well. The finish is nice, painted silver. The feet are steel and the center bar is aluminum. It comes with all hardware needed. My only suggestion and the only thing I will probably change is getting bigger washers for the center portion as the supplied washers look like they got sucked down into the slots on the bar slightly. Not a big deal, I just don't like how it looks currently. No hood clearance issues that I noticed either, I've heard people mention some bars touch the hood. I did not have that problem.

It does feel a little bit different and tighter up front. I don't feel this is as big of a change as Sway Bars would be but you do notice a difference, no question.

We sell the bar for $224.95, and currently have about 10 in stock with 15 more coming in the next week or so.

Here's a few iPhone pics I took in our parking lot this morning just to get you guys a visual.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
trizzuth

My Ride: 234k, 16yr old B3AST
Looks nice! Wonder why they parted ways with the magnesium version.

Why do basically all E46's have those yellow glue-like lines down the inside edge of the drug bin?
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Looks nice! Wonder why they parted ways with the magnesium version.

Why do basically all E46's have those yellow glue-like lines down the inside edge of the drug bin?
I disagree, I really think the best-looking strut bar produced was the BMW Performance one. I don't understand why no one else seems to have made a strut bar as attractive as that. I know they're supposed to be functional, but a big part of them is aesthetics since it's in the engine bay.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Nice but those plates on top of the towers look THICK. are my eyes deceiving me? I know my Meyles won't clear it (short bolts) especially with the reinforcement plates.
When you push down on the bar in the middle, does it deflect pretty substantially??
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Nice but those plates on top of the towers look THICK. are my eyes deceiving me? I know my Meyles won't clear it (short bolts) especially with the reinforcement plates.
When you push down on the bar in the middle, does it deflect pretty substantially??
Actually, when you tighten the bars to the feet it stiffens up noticeably. The bar is pretty flexible off the car but as soon as it's bolted down it doesn't move at all.

CONNECT WITH US
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

Quote:

I brought up another bar from inventory to measure.

The bar itself is slightly thinner than .5". The feet are slightly thicker than .25".

CONNECT WITH US
Old 01-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
+1 on getting larger washers. They really need to resize that nut/washer combo.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I like how you give it an honest review, instead of a usual Sponsor just praising something about how spectacular it is.
Well $224 is a better price point than before. Good luck with sales and props for the review. (you'll find if a review here is too blantantly bias, people will call them out).
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
dino71

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I have to say that that strut tower bad looks pretty bad compared to others I have seen and I will list some reasons.

1. is has two > 90 degree compound bends and I would bet my car that it's Asian made and cold bent. This means is has an enormous amount of residual stress in and its now getting stressed by the car. The question you have to ask yourself is that.... Is this acting like a spring? Can it counteract the lateral forces without excessive strain in those bends? If it wasn't bent the way it is and maybe TIG welded aluminum then perhaps it might serve a better function.

2. Has this thing been time tested? My guess it's not. I wonder how long it would take to weaken during a track day or some spirited mountain driving. My guess this will be destined to fail over time. If someone were to find out the material its made out of and the dimensions I can run it though PTmodeler and let you guys know but I would need some dimensions of the bar and the cross sectional area(s).

Here's one I have seen at some local race tracks on M3's and 3 Series cars where the owners swear by it. Notice how its built.....
http://www.strong-strut.com/E46.html

Last edited by dino71; 01-11-2013 at 02:04 PM.
dino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i S54 sedan (
i thought it is ideal to have a strut bar that is 1 piece? my thinking is that if you have a 3 piece bar there will always b issues where the pieces meet not to mention lack of rigidity in thoes areas... the best one i remember seeing is the one from mason engineering... found here

http://www.masonengineering.net/imag...acingFront.jpg

although i have no experince with it, this looks like the best option to me
Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
trizzuth

My Ride: 234k, 16yr old B3AST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I disagree, I really think the best-looking strut bar produced was the BMW Performance one. I don't understand why no one else seems to have made a strut bar as attractive as that. I know they're supposed to be functional, but a big part of them is aesthetics since it's in the engine bay.
I said "nice" not BMW-Performance-carbon-fiber-work-of-fawking-art-spectacular. dUR zell
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
Looks kind of cheesy IMO. Doesn't really look like it belongs on a E46. It's priced ok.
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
i thought it is ideal to have a strut bar that is 1 piece? my thinking is that if you have a 3 piece bar there will always b issues where the pieces meet not to mention lack of rigidity in thoes areas... the best one i remember seeing is the one from mason engineering... found here

http://www.masonengineering.net/imag...acingFront.jpg

although i have no experince with it, this looks like the best option to me
I think a three-piece bar as fine as long as it's not hinged. The OE M3 bar is a similar style, and it works fine. Just torque the nuts down properly.

What I like about 3-piece bars is that they make working on the car a bit easier, since you never have to unmount the shocks.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-11-2013 at 10:32 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #14
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
I have to agree. I don't think the studs on my upper strut mounts are long enough to clear that top plate, and still get enough thread engagement to tighten the plate down. What type of upper strut mount do you have on the car in the pics? Edit: Never mind! I see it is counter sunk around the mounting bolts.
Also, what about the thermal expansion of the aluminum? I would wonder if that bar doesn't bow up when the engine bay gets hot. Even steel would expand less. Carbon fiber would be best. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by MJLavelle; 01-11-2013 at 10:56 PM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I have to agree. I don't think the studs on my upper strut mounts are long enough to clear that top plate, and still get enough thread engagement to tighten the plate down. What type of upper strut mount do you have on the car in the pics?
Also, what about the thermal expansion of the aluminum? I would wonder if that bar doesn't bow up when the engine bay gets hot. Even steel would expand less. Carbon fiber would be best. Any thoughts on that?
Thermal expansion will be minimal. Assuming the bar is about 1 meter long, then it will expand approximately 0.9mm when going from 0C to 40C. A 1 meter steel bar would expand approximately 0.6mm over the same interval. As you can imagine, such little expansion won't really effect anything.

Heck, if thermal expansion was an issue, then E46 non-Ms would probably be failing left and right. The blocks are aluminum with iron liners. Obviously both aluminum and iron expand at different rates -- but the changes are so minuscule (even at engine temperatures) that it's just not worth worrying about.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-11-2013 at 11:06 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #16
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
I'm still waiting for UUC to ship my shift knob I ordered 2 years ago.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post

I just received my strut bar from ESC Tuning and she is pretty. They make a carbon fiber one.

I personally dont like the look of this one....looks to track carish for me.

Last edited by Custom3; 01-12-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M
Quote:
call Rob, he's more than accommodating

Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
AndyN

My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Quote:
Haha this is why I will never order from them again. I waited 6 months for wheels before cancelling the order!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
Haha this is why I will never order from them again. I waited 6 months for wheels before cancelling the order!
At this point I'm just seeing how long it will take out of sheer curiosity.. 3 years? 4 years?
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote