E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
CMontyM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
Where to get SMG CSL tune upgrade?

I've been doing some reading and searched through the threads. I want to start by changing to the SMG CSL tune, but where can I get this done, I'm located in South Bend, IN.
CMontyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
steve bettencourt

My Ride: 2003 m3
I don't know about SMG CSL tune but there a soft ware up grade for the SMG I had it done to my car and its a lot smoother shift
steve bettencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
I only know of EAS doing it. I think anyone with GT1 software can. Maybe even ask the dealer?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
M3Nick
RACECAR Backwrds Is RACECAR

My Ride: '06 M3 ZCP, Cayman-S
Evolve has one of the better tunes for the E46 M3.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
EAS and some really GOOD guy in Gwynedd, PA. Vodyk.
Here is a giant thread on his M5 SMG work. he does M3 CSL too.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...trol-free.html

Dont ever use ESS tuning. they are 600 bux and I am not even sure its a real CSL tune. Rapists.

The CSL software from EAS and Vodyk makes SMG insanely fast and gives a hard lock up. A 100% must for any SMG owners. Every new NABMW SMG software "update" softens, slows and degrades the SMG tune your car came with to save on wear and tear and perhaps the sub frame. I dont know.

I was livid when BMW told me they could not reverse their last update. My SMG was like a wet noodle by then.

Then I got the real deal. Super crisp and fast (really fast) shifts and much harder lock up in S5 and S6 (DSC off). Something like 3800 RPM launch too instead of wimpy 2500 with which my car nosed over so bad it was embarrassing.
Warning. Repeated launches will prematurely wear your clutch. I THINK normal EURO software has 30 of those high RPM launches allowed on one clutch until the brain is cleared when a new clutch is installed. I dont know about the CSL software which is even faster than the Euro tune. Ask your SMG tuner if that feature can be disabled if you want.

Realize that in every day driving the SLOWER lock ups S1. S2 A1 A2 (Automatic mode....I think it is actually called D1, D2 etc) are terrible for your clutch since they SLIP and slow the lock up! I use those settings all the time, but sparingly in say rush hour stop and go traffic or when Grand Ma is in the car, I will use A1 that starts in second gear from a stop. I call it rightfully so, "The Lexus Mode".

Sorry for long post and extra info but MANY guys are SMG knowledge ignorant. Very common. Dont feel bad.

I recommend a GOOD aftermarket clutch. Talk to South Bend Clutch with your needs. They rock. I never realized how poor my stock clutch was (to with stand heavy, but not BRUTAL use) until I got a South Bend. I toasted my OEM disc AND my dual mass flywheel in 30k miles. Only the last 2k was with 440HP. It was on its way out at 28K miles!
Launches. burn outs, drag strip a few times. Uh, yes. Guilty. So, I guess the life span was normal for circumstances... Way off topic. Rambling. Sorry. I'm bored. But the info is accurate and should be useful to many.

I would like to think all this was of some HELP to SMG owners!

Last edited by Bdave; 08-12-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
Forgive me, but I am unfamiliar with your terminology. What do you mean by "harder lock up in S5 and S6"?

I think I found someone in my neck of the woods who is doing the SMG Euro tune. I am running stock so I am wondering if under your opinion it is worth while to get the tune? If I understand correctly, the tune may go through the life of the clutch much faster than the regular US programing.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Your best bet is the M3 forum. There is a mega thread on it over there, and anyone with a cable and a laptop and stolen software can do it.

It is the factory CSL SMG software, which has been proven to work for US spec cars, and gives you all the euro options. It is easy to do, but you need the cable and software.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
eas
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
We have done the EU SMG software for a number of E46M3 and E60 M5s.

However, vehicle will need to be present in our facility in Anaheim, CA.
eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
E46M3BMW

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by eas View Post
We have done the EU SMG software for a number of E46M3 and E60 M5s.

However, vehicle will need to be present in our facility in Anaheim, CA.
how much is that?
E46M3BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
Anybody have a link for the differences between a Euro SMG tune vs the CSL SMG tune upgrade?
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Euro is just the higher launch control. CSL is higher launch control and faster gear changes.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
eas
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M3BMW View Post
how much is that?
Here's a video of the CSL SMG upgrade in action. Launch mode is raised from 3200RPM to 4500RPM.

SMG update is $95, we perform the flash in-house.
eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
JamaicanBlueE46M3

My Ride: E46 M3
can we send the smg computer to u? Won't be easy sending the car from Jamaica.
JamaicanBlueE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
Firstboost

My Ride: 2006 Tiag ZCP
Just had a boatload of things done with my DME by my friend locally. It's starting to become more popular than most people know.

I am pretty sure the DME needs to be in the car to tune it. You can't ship it and have someone plug it in...unless maybe they plugged it into another SMG M3. I'm not sure if the DME reverts to factory settings when it has been removed. EAS should be able to answer that.

The one other thing about the CSL SMG tune is the smoothness of the shifts. No more stuttering on starts in 1st gear, no more M-clunk.

Don't forget the Euro4 tune... I did this as well and couldn't be happier with the low-mid range. 2800-4000RPM is a lot more fun now, and I have ZERO engine mods.
Firstboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
Hi-LowBlow

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG
I know it's more than an half year old since the last post, but let me ask why no more stuttering on starts with the CSL smg software? I might give the software a try if it is true!
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Stuttering still occurs once and a while, but due to the fact that the EU SMG / CSL SMG programs are harsher ((quicker engagement) especially the early versions) than the NA SMG program, one rarely experiences the stutter. I get it sometimes when trying to pull off really slow and gentle.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC

Last edited by turbo_f22_pilot; 01-10-2013 at 09:31 PM.
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_f22_pilot View Post
Stuttering still occurs once and a while, but due to the fact that the EU SMG / CSL SMG programs are harsher ((quicker engagement) especially the early versions) than the NA SMG program, one rarely experiences the stutter. I get it sometimes when trying to pull off really slow and gentle.
i heard if the stuttering gets to be something that bothers you, you can take it to a good indy shop and have them "re-teach" the smg clutch grab points? or something along those lines, dont quote me on that though.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
rjskalet

My Ride: TiAg M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakumaxp View Post
i heard if the stuttering gets to be something that bothers you, you can take it to a good indy shop and have them "re-teach" the smg clutch grab points? or something along those lines, dont quote me on that though.
it is resetting the clutch adaptations. its really pretty easy to do. If you have a 32 bit computer invest in the cable and do it yourself and save yourself the headache. Honestly $40 for a cable and having the ability to do all of this yourself is truly a blessing.
rjskalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
ZCP14

My Ride: 2006 M3
Check out Pit Stop Motor Tuning in Burbank CA. He did my updates, tranny is much smoother
ZCP14 is offline   Reply With Quote