E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
gcvpi09

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325XI T
Beware MOOG Rear Shock Mounts

Both of my rear shocks were dead, so I set about replacing them last night. I ordered the OEM Sachs units because I'm not terribly hard on my wagon and wanted to split the difference on price between Kony and KYB. While waiting for my shocks to arrive from Autohaus, it occurred to me that if I was going to pull all of the rear trim out to get to the shock bolts, I might was well change the mounts as well. Nothing indicated that the mounts were bad (turns out they are perfectly fine) but I figured I would do a little preventative while I had everything torn apart.

I've used MOOG suspension parts before on other vehicles and know that they are suitable for daily driver use. Did a quick search on Advance Auto's website and found that there were a set of MOOG shock mounts in stock at my local store (and we all know what the likely hood of replacement parts being in stock locally is) so I gladly picked them up.

BIG MISTAKE

These shock mounts DO NOT fit through the ports in the rear of the car where the shocks are supposed to bolt up. This mismatched part turned what should have been a about an hour job into roughly 4 hours of scratching my head and trying to figure out what the hell was different between these two mounts. Also, I double checked the part number on the box, same as the one listed below on the Advance website screenshot.

Ended up re-using the old shock mounts which were still in great condition and I'm loving the ride with Sachs rear end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOOG Shot.png
Views:	52
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	485449  

'01 E46 xiT
gcvpi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
I would definitely replace them soon. Some shock mounts (such as Meyle) have an oversized- err- center part, that barely fits through the tower. Eventually (if you manage to install it) it will start destroying itself.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Waggonpuller

My Ride: e46 wagon e30 325is
I just got finished installing a set of Meyle HD mounts on my wagon and they were a tight fit getting them through the hole. I had to work them up in there and use the nuts to pull them up tight...that's what she said anyway... Might just be the way they are.
Waggonpuller is offline   Reply With Quote