E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
DrGSXR750

My Ride: 2002 M3
Vanos Moan

2002 M3 Coup with 104xxx on the clock. I noticed a very subtle moan or reverberation between rpms 1700-2000 when the engine is warm and under normal or light acceleration. It seems to go away when I go full throttle and isn't there when the engine is not up to full temp, which leads me to believe my vanos is getting angry. Just started after a highway run while not fully warm.... Stupid, I know. Anyhow, has anyone experienced this or is this not the vanos? No lights or other symptoms to report. Differentail diagnosis includeds anything related to the oil system. What do you guys think? Thanks for the replies!
DrGSXR750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
take it to an indy shop and have the motor taken apart and checked, thats how i found mine was on its way out, and if it IS your vanos, Drvanos.com is the best place to get one, they even refund you 400 for your old one.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
NICKBRUM

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGSXR750 View Post
2002 M3 Coup with 104xxx on the clock. I noticed a very subtle moan or reverberation between rpms 1700-2000 when the engine is warm and under normal or light acceleration. It seems to go away when I go full throttle and isn't there when the engine is not up to full temp, which leads me to believe my vanos is getting angry. Just started after a highway run while not fully warm.... Stupid, I know. Anyhow, has anyone experienced this or is this not the vanos? No lights or other symptoms to report. Differentail diagnosis includeds anything related to the oil system. What do you guys think? Thanks for the replies!
Its real easy to look over your self. Search the forum as well as m3f, also Google is your friend. There are many components to the vanos and it doesn't just "go out" as a whole assembly. The most common failure which yeilds an audible warning are the bolts on the intake Cam sprocket. These are prone to coming loose and or shearing. The bottom line is don't jump to conclusions. The S54 is noisy as hell, including the vanos.

Current:
2006 E46 M3 ZCP silver gray on black SMG
|Stoptech BBK ST40 X 355mm| Style 219 wheels|
Coming soon Euro exhaust and GC coil overs.

Previous: Totaled
|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|

Last edited by NICKBRUM; 01-12-2013 at 01:45 AM.
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
DrGSXR750

Yea I know and that's what I'm hoping but it's definitely a new sound. I'm going to check the oil filert for the vanos tomorrow but I'm not sure it's the bolts because there is no rattle only a reverberation at specific rpm. Thanks again for the reply gentlemen! I owe you my next paychecks which, as a resident, is about nil lmao.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
NICKBRUM

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGSXR750 View Post
Yea I know and that's what I'm hoping but it's definitely a new sound. I'm going to check the oil filert for the vanos tomorrow but I'm not sure it's the bolts because there is no rattle only a reverberation at specific rpm. Thanks again for the reply gentlemen! I owe you my next paychecks which, as a resident, is about nil lmao.
Haha no worries we are all here to contribute. Even if its not a traditional rattle I would take a peak for piece of mind. I had a similar situation and listing closely to the motor I was certain it was from the vanos bolts. I went ahead and replaced them while I was at it but, the problem was a 20.00 idler pulley. These pulleys don't last long as it is plastic and a single sealed race bearing. Its a cheap design IMO... If it has lateral play spins freely, and sounds like a skateboard wheel, it needs to be replaced. Our cars have two one for the AC pump circuit, and the second is fan water pump, and alternator. In my case the later of the two was shot. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Current:
2006 E46 M3 ZCP silver gray on black SMG
|Stoptech BBK ST40 X 355mm| Style 219 wheels|
Coming soon Euro exhaust and GC coil overs.

Previous: Totaled
|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
DrGSXR750

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKBRUM View Post
Haha no worries we are all here to contribute. Even if its not a traditional rattle I would take a peak for piece of mind. I had a similar situation and listing closely to the motor I was certain it was from the vanos bolts. I went ahead and replaced them while I was at it but, the problem was a 20.00 idler pulley. These pulleys don't last long as it is plastic and a single sealed race bearing. Its a cheap design IMO... If it has lateral play spins freely, and sounds like a skateboard wheel, it needs to be replaced. Our cars have two one for the AC pump circuit, and the second is fan water pump, and alternator. In my case the later of the two was shot. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Is it a bia to get in there and check those idler pulley's? and how do you determine if they are bad? just take the belt off and see if they have any lateral play or noise?? The more I listen to it the more I think it might be a pulley going out. Still going to check and upgrade the bolts though for piece of mind. Thanks again for your replies.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Pulleys aren't that bad to get to. There are DIY's. A good pulley will not have any play and will have some resistance when spun. If it spins freely like wheels on a skateboard then it's toast.

If you don't know when they were replaced it's probably worth going ahead and replacing all the pulleys and belts anyway.