E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
belfastman69

My Ride: alpine white 325ci
how many of these clips are needed on each C pillar and each A pillar?
belfastman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #22
MCM97

My Ride: 01 325Ci
I'm getting ready to do this for my c pillars so I'll let you know
MCM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
MCM97

There are four in the c pillar and I suggest changing them out. Mine were brittle and the new ones seem to be better quality. I paid $1.38 per clip so why not?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
ngillan

My Ride: Is in a salvage yard
sub'd

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #25
oAllElseFailo

My Ride: 328Ci
I know this threads about a month old, but how many of those clips did you actually need? Are there 4 in each pillar? I'm about to redo my whole interior, including the headliner which I don't even know if that has any clips in it

Last edited by oAllElseFailo; 02-12-2013 at 09:09 PM.
oAllElseFailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
StanceWerkes

My Ride: TiAg 325i
Needed this thanks!
StanceWerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
BuckFutter

My Ride: 04 E46 325i
I subbed to fanatics just for this article. How hard would it be to redo the pillars in something less thin & frail like pleather to fit in with my seats or just leave it bare grey plastic? That felt stuff is just abit aggravating. I despise it even on the roof.
BuckFutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #28
ngillan

My Ride: Is in a salvage yard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckFutter View Post
I subbed to fanatics just for this article. How hard would it be to redo the pillars in something less thin & frail like pleather to fit in with my seats or just leave it bare grey plastic? That felt stuff is just abit aggravating. I despise it even on the roof.
I only have experience with the front pillars. With something thick like pleather you may really have to work at it to get them to fit back in. I know with the carbon fiber wrap the fit was already really really tight. Give it a try though and let us know.

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
I replaced my A and C pillars yesterday. The A pillars are straight forward as documented in this DIY. The C pillars I had no torx bolt to undo, and the clips didn't break, so I used the spares I had to install ( 2 per side). Be sure you clip the top pieces into the body sockets and ensure the bottom rear protusion piece lines up in the hole for it. Also, the replacement C pillars didn't come with a black rubber buffer piece, so I just transferred it from the old ones to the new ones. Still had enough stick left on it that it was easy to do.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #30
Paul325Ci

My Ride: 2002 325Ci Silver
Send a message via ICQ to Paul325Ci
Great write up, just did my A-Pillars yesterday, about 30 minutes per side, I found that I did not need to replace the plastic nuts, but I ordered 4 just incase.

The invoice shown is for a GRAY 2002 325CI, so if you need part numbers, here you go. Also notice with the BMW CCA discount, the parts come out cheaper than anywhere else I was able to find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-Pillar invoice.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	527246  
Paul325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #31
MCM97

Finally got around to my B Pillars today. Let me correct that - my wife got around to my b pillars today. We picked up Aleene's Tacky Spray at Joanns Fabric for $7.99. She wisely sent me inside to watch football and got to work. All she did was peel the fabric back, hit it with tacky spray and pushed it back down with a small putty knife. 25 minutes later, its done and looks great - its not perfect but its a lot better than it was and for $8 I'm good with that. She said its super easy and if anyone in SoCal needs it done just swing over.

Tags
a pillar, b pillar, c pillar, felt, interior