E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
forzamilan10

My Ride: '04 325Ci Sport
License Suspension Advice

Hi guys,

So basically, I was fined for driving 45KM/H+ last night. I was driving nearby Mascot through that long tunnel where for god knows what reason I had an urge to put my foot down.

I was astonished to discover the speed limit was only 70KMH as it's essentially a 6 lane wide two-direction highway.

This offence actually warrants police to confiscate the vehicle and/or license plates, fortunately I was very lucky and the police let me keep both, so a mate drove the car home.

My license was confiscated on the spot and at the moment I'm looking at 6 months suspension.

There is no denying I'm in the wrong, and I acknowledge that, just thought I could get any advice from people that have either dealt with, or been in a similar situation.

I actually need to be able to drive for my job, so it was foolish to take this privilege with such a grain of salt.

In any case, all help, advice, thoughts, is welcomed.

Cheers

'04 325Ci + MYSTIC BLUE + EISENMANN RACE EXHAUST & MID-PIPE
forzamilan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
selien

My Ride: 330CI
Just do what I did and keep driving without your license. I got away with it for like 8 years but 15k in fines all up. Try and use your brothers name or brothers license if you look alike, that's worked for me in the past.
We use to have a relative that worked at the rta, before **** got stricter he use to hook us up with fake licenses for 2k, if you know someone you might be able to try and get them to hook u up, plus side on that is you can also use that fake ID to get bank account and loans and never pay em back, ask me how i know.

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by selien View Post
Just do what I did and keep driving without your license. I got away with it for like 8 years but 15k in fines all up. Try and use your brothers name or brothers license if you look alike, that's worked for me in the past.
We use to have a relative that worked at the rta, before **** got stricter he use to hook us up with fake licenses for 2k, if you know someone you might be able to try and get them to hook u up, plus side on that is you can also use that fake ID to get bank account and loans and never pay em back, ask me how i know.
You should be in jail
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
selien

My Ride: 330CI
I know!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Bimmer App

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
niiCk

My Ride: E90
Quote:
LOL!

but OP, just go to court and tell them you need the car to drive..they'll probably give you a shorter suspension. I know someone who reduced their suspension by going to court but then again it wasnt for speeding.
niiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
Speak to a traffic lawyer.

Quote:
I hope you're joking....
Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
M3_DU

My Ride: '02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzamilan10 View Post
Hi guys,

So basically, I was fined for driving 45KM/H+ last night. I was driving nearby Mascot through that long tunnel where for god knows what reason I had an urge to put my foot down.

I was astonished to discover the speed limit was only 70KMH as it's essentially a 6 lane wide two-direction highway.

This offence actually warrants police to confiscate the vehicle and/or license plates, fortunately I was very lucky and the police let me keep both, so a mate drove the car home.

My license was confiscated on the spot and at the moment I'm looking at 6 months suspension.

There is no denying I'm in the wrong, and I acknowledge that, just thought I could get any advice from people that have either dealt with, or been in a similar situation.

I actually need to be able to drive for my job, so it was foolish to take this privilege with such a grain of salt.

In any case, all help, advice, thoughts, is welcomed.

Cheers
Definitely a traffic lawyer is the way to go, but I think no matter what you will lose your licence for a certain period of time. At the very most you could maybe get away with going on the good behaviour bond.

Also what's your driving record like? If you have a pretty clean record that will play in your favour too.
M3_DU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
You should be in jail
Ahahahaha I was laughing at how Woggy that story was, then I saw this and nearly pee'd myself!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
forzamilan10

My Ride: '04 325Ci Sport
Thanks for responses guys...

I'm expecting to lose license for some period, hopefully the sentence can be at least halved.

Only other speeding offence was 14 months ago for Over 10KM/H.

'04 325Ci + MYSTIC BLUE + EISENMANN RACE EXHAUST & MID-PIPE
forzamilan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
steve.k

My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
Damn bro that sucks, good luck with it all. Hopefully you only get 3 months instead of 6.
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Goondaddy

My Ride: 2002 325ci
That sucks! It really doesn't take much to crack over the limit especially around some of the roads in that area which are far too low. I suggest speaking to a lawyer first, but my advice would be to plead ignorance in regards to the limit, and acknowledge that you were speeding. Explain the importance of driving for your job, and they might show some leniency.

If you got some annual leave saved up, go overseas, it does help to break up the length of the suspension a bit!

Quote:
Just do what I did and keep driving without your license. I got away with it for like 8 years but 15k in fines all up.
I hope you're kidding mate.
Goondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
Nath

My Ride: MY13 Maloo
Contact a traffic lawyer, be prepared to pay through the nose for a good one.

Then give your keys to your parents so you are not tempted to drive.

People that drive whilst suspended deserve to crash into 10 Ferrari's
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #13
msbhvn

My Ride: Coupe
Mandatory sentencing, if you are guilty the judge must impose the minimum term, no use getting a lawyer, you seem guilty of the offence so there isn't much they'll do bar charge you around $1200.

Same thing happened to me, I got 9 months.
msbhvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
gueste46
Banned User

For what it's worth it is a good experience. Same thing happened to me in 1979 Southern Cross Drive doing !84 kph.

It's a positive, though painful experience if you learn from it.
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #15
abbas_m3

My Ride: bmw m3
If your lucky, you might be able to get a section 10. How is your driving history? Get a lawyer and let him do the rest. If you get a reasonable magistrate you might get lucky.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Bimmer App
abbas_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
If you do get convicted they will suspend your licence obviously but you can apply for a exemption if you can prove that you HAVE to drive a vehicle for your job. This will allow you to drive within working hours only.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Couple weeks ago i was following two m3 verts (white e92 and black e46) through that very same tunnel around 10pm. We were all doing 70k then out of nowhere they just sped off into the tunnel, weaving in and out of traffic and letting the exhausts make their music. As i continue doing 70 through the tunnel i see a hwp car and officer (with a radar gun in his hand) in the breakdown location about 3/4s of the way in... Just standing there waiting to ping someone. How the fk did he miss them? They were on WOT til half way through lol (must be the doppler effect)

Good luck with your case mate.
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Gee Emm

My Ride: 2000 325Ci Auto :(
Pay the money. Get a mouthpiece (a good one). Any reduction/variation will be worth the money.
Gee Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
BrisM3
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 E30 318is
^^ what do you reckon it would cost?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
Gee Emm

My Ride: 2000 325Ci Auto :(
At least a grand, maybe two.

Fortunately, it's been a very long time since I needed one.
But any reduction/omission of a conviction is a good thing as you get older.

Even if the mouthpiece costs way more than what he/she may save you on the day, it's an investment.
You never know what job you may want to apply for in the future and you want as clean a history as possible.

You need police checks for all sorts of jobs these days. It's only gunna get harder in the future.

Fortunately, some things aren't reported on police checks once they get to 10 years!?
I'm not 100% on that.
Maybe someone else here can provide more accurate info.

Graham
Gee Emm is offline   Reply With Quote