E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
jpbutler1983

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Ok. Well I'm going to listen for the buzz and check the fuel filter first. Will update afterwards.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #22
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbutler1983 View Post
Ok. Well I'm going to listen for the buzz and check the fuel filter first. Will update afterwards.
It'll be very faint, but you can hear it if it is there. Also, remember that you need to wait five seconds in between each time you turn the key. Sure fire way to tell if your pump is dead.
Blueandwhite85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #23
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
remove the rear seat, you will hear the fuel pump a lot better, just lift it up and it will pop up... slide it out a little, and then you can lift one side at a time. the fuel pump is very loud so with the car off, windows up, and rear seat raised, you will easily hear it.

secondly... it could be an issue with your starter as well. mine is acting up a little when the car is warm. it will start to turn over, but then just die out. takes a couple times to have it start when the car is warm.

good luck
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #24
jpbutler1983

I will try that then... So I don't need to take off the plate?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #25
Blueandwhite85

Quote:
I will try that then... So I don't need to take off the plate?
It's really not necessary to remove the seat. If you don't hear it on the outside, that is a good enough indicator.. the pump is indeed loud.. loud enough to be heard from the outside.

Last edited by Blueandwhite85; 01-12-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
jpbutler1983

Ok. So I unplugged and replugged the relays in the ebox. And I took the seat out with my son cranking up the car I put my ear against the plate on the passenger side. I'm pretty sure I didn't hear anything.

Now under the understanding that its loud, then its not working...

But someone said its faint... So. I may need to take the plate off and use some sort of medium to help me hear it...
Old 01-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Ok. So I unplugged and replugged the relays in the ebox. And I took the seat out with my son cranking up the car I put my ear against the plate on the passenger side. I'm pretty sure I didn't hear anything.

But someone said its faint... So. I may need to take the plate off and use some sort of medium to help me hear it...
no need to take the plate off, if you can't hear it with the seat popped up, it isn't working. check the fuel pump fuse, if it doesn't work, order it off ebay. i got a brand new OEM one, part number checked out on realoem.com too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-OEM-...339910&vxp=mtr

not sure if that is for your model, but double check

takes 30 min to install, make sure you do it on a flat surface. my car had between 3/4 and a full tank and i was literally at the rim with fuel, any more and it would have spilled over.

careful..

JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #28
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:

Mine isn't loud, OP, but then again, I'm deaf in one ear!

Key to position 2 for FP to turn, right? You could use a little section of hose or even a glass to amplify the sound if you wanted to.

You say you have gas...are you sure, as in, if you don't trust the gauge?

Did you check the kalim fuse that I think I mentioned? The 20 amp fuse in the fuse pack?

FP is very easy to do, though...all you need is the 10 mm wrench you have in the trunk, two chisels, two hammers, and a friend (for 1 minute)...to get the clamping ring off (if yours is like mine).

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #29
sfcjetjr

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
The batteries in our cars don't show signs of going bad or getting weak. They just die on the spot. One second car starts, 5 minutes later, it dead as a door nail. Bet battery.
sfcjetjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #30
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
If you suspect fuel, go to Harbor Freight, get a fuel pressure gauge, hook it up, crank the car, check the readings. If you suspect battery, try push starting the car if it's a manual.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #31
jpbutler1983

After reading everyone's input (thank you all by the way), I am leaning more towards the FP. My car sounds exactly like the one in the video that was posted above. I have a voltmeter. tomorrow I will undo the plate and check for 12VDC at the plug. That will remove all doubt about the fuses and what have you.

I didn't find the kalim fuse in the Ebox, all I saw were wires and relays... either way, if I get 12vdc at the plug, then it will confirm continuity of the electrical system... it will also tell me how many volts my battery is sending to the pump. So it seems like a good check regardless.

I don't think that it's that battery. I used the correct rating of battery when I tried to jump it, and I even let it sit for a few minutes, and the symptoms remained the same. I don't have the best of hearing so that is why I am going to take the plate off and double check... just to be sure.

I think the part number that was given to me in the Ebay search is in fact correct. 140 bucks is better than paying out the wahzoo for mechanic shop parts and labor... especially for this easy of a job.

To answer the questions that were asked earlier, I don't know how old the battery is. the mileage is at 167000 miles. If the pump has never been changed, I suppose even if it doesn't fix the problem, it might be good just to do it anyway as a preventative maintenance effort. Whilst I am dealing with the fuel system anyway, I might as well change out the filter too, I guess.

Thank you guys for all the input. You all are the best. I will update when I know fo sho!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
Blueandwhite85

As said, if you can't hear it with the seat up it's gone, never to return. This can be a lot less inexpensive and extremely easy to DIY if you're resourceful.

Last edited by Blueandwhite85; 01-12-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #33
jpbutler1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjetjr View Post
The batteries in our cars don't show signs of going bad or getting weak. They just die on the spot. One second car starts, 5 minutes later, it dead as a door nail. Bet battery.
I am getting the necessary crank voltage because the starter sounds strong... no slowing or dying sound... just won't complete the crank job.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #34
jpbutler1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf View Post
If you suspect fuel, go to Harbor Freight, get a fuel pressure gauge, hook it up, crank the car, check the readings. If you suspect battery, try push starting the car if it's a manual.
I have done a push start before on a different car, so I am familiar with that method.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to know where to hook the pressure gauge up.

I had her towed home, so now i have my tools and will do some investigating tomorrow. If I don't hear the hum or whirl of the pump then it won't be necessary to purchase a pressure gauge.

Last edited by jpbutler1983; 01-12-2013 at 07:59 PM.
jpbutler1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #35
jpbutler1983

fuel pump verification

this part is cheaper and from the same company as the link that was given to me above... any reason it's cheaper? is this compatible?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-OEM-...4685ce&vxp=mtr
Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #36
jpbutler1983

and this one is only 80

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-ELEC...7b2a29&vxp=mtr
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #37
jpbutler1983

Quote:
nevermind... this one doesn't say OEM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #38
jpbutler1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueandwhite85 View Post
As said, if you can't hear it with the seat up it's gone, never to return. This can be a lot less inexpensive and extremely easy to DIY if you're resourceful.

Oh, I am going to Do It Myself! Just to say that I did! I just wish I could get the part local tomorrow (probably not because it's Sunday), so that I don't have to change my work schedule... but I don't think I will get OEM for as cheap as it is online here locally.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #39
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Suggest you read the 2nd link in my signature below.

Not sure you picked up on the fact the fuel pump relay is behind the glovebox??

Did not read the entire thread.

Voltmeter on the fuel pump wiring will likely confuse you, you would not be the first one.

$3 can of starting fluid will answer the question.

BMA Parts is good, they ship from many warehouses across the country.

I have a new pump here in stock for my 2006 or anyone else that ends up needing one!

Good luck.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #40
jpbutler1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Suggest you read the 2nd link in my signature below.

Not sure you picked up on the fact the fuel pump relay is behind the glovebox??

Did not read the entire thread.

Voltmeter on the fuel pump wiring will likely confuse you, you would not be the first one.

$3 can of starting fluid will answer the question.

BMA Parts is good, they ship from many warehouses across the country.

I have a new pump here in stock for my 2006 or anyone else that ends up needing one!

Good luck.
I got lost somewhere... what question will the starting fluid answer??

yeah, I must have missed the "behind the glovebox" reference while scrolling through the mobile app in the parking lot. My bad.

As far as the voltmeter is concerned, I am an electronics technician by trade and pretty much use that all the time. I think I will be able to manage my way around the wiring.

Thanks for the BMA confirmation, I will most likely use them then. This forum is a great resource. I don't know where I would be (besides stranded on the side of the road) without you guys... and gals.