E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #41
safe d

My Ride: 328ci
Has any one tried this with an E90 wheel? I have a UK car. Is all this still relevant?
safe d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 AM   #42
cuz.iknim

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Send a message via AIM to cuz.iknim Send a message via MSN to cuz.iknim
Is it only me who sees the huge color difference between airbad and steering wheel.............? ANYONE?

cuz.iknim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #43
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by safe d View Post
Has any one tried this with an E90 wheel? I have a UK car. Is all this still relevant?
It's certainly relevant to a UK e46, couldn't tell you about an E90, I've never inspected an E90 steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz.iknim View Post
Is it only me who sees the huge color difference between airbad and steering wheel.............? ANYONE?
Can't say I've noticed, or that I care. I'm just thankful that as a "safety" device it's not bright red or yellow
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #44
elliotchong

My Ride: bmw 320i
will this work only if i have a round airbag? My wheel has the square airbag and no buttons. I would love to upgrade my steering wheel.
elliotchong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #45
Paul180

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Quote:
Most of the color difference is due to the flash and the fact that the wheel is brand new and never been exposed to the sun. It isn't noticible in person, at least to me.

Quote:
will this work only if i have a round airbag? My wheel has the square airbag and no buttons. I would love to upgrade my steering wheel.
You will need a round airbag in order to use the M3 steering wheel. Since the wheel doesn't come with one (unless you're buying it used) you will need to buy one seperately.
Paul180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #46
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Before:

After:

Old 02-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #47
ThomasV

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Send a message via MSN to ThomasV
Thanks, this was my first work on my 2004 330Ci and the DIY was of great help!
ThomasV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #48
jgs99v

My Ride: E46 328I
OK - I was really concerned as the installer made this seem like such a difficult task.
However after reading thru E46fanatics is the best - saved me $270.00, and took only 45mins with 30mins wait time.
My Vehicle: 1999 328i 4dr sedan with Business package: All multi function, phone etc.....
Drove straight into the garage and check all aligned and steering wheel centered.
Removed the ground connection from the battery, and waited 30mins instead of 15mins - capacitive charge in the circuits might hold residual voltage, so you need to let these circuits bleed down the voltage. I just used my voltage meter to verify.
The tool spec was right on - some difficulty in centering the torkx, but persistance paid off - they came off with ease.
The OEM wheel connector verification check before disconnecting the air bag assembly - yes the business unit matched. So disconnected the airbag!
Removed the 16mm long bolt as indicated - but I did not wish to use the wheel lock, so braced with my hands - came off nicely since I used a longer arm socket.
As indicated the wheel just popped right off - no issues.
Double checked the splines and they were exactly the same.
Popped on the wheel - ensuring it was straight and properly aligned - inserted the bolt and no issues, then torque to 46#
Popped in the two connectors - although original was black the M3 was yellow, but the connector type and keying were exactly the same.
Next was the air bag connections - black and green - pulled up the locking tags as indicated. Then inserted the connector, I used a small #1 flathead to squeeze in the locking tabs as I did not wish to force them. Then when fully seated I popped the locking clips down, firm click then check their locking by pulling firmly on the cable/connector assembly - they did not pop out. OK kool
Then aligned and popped the wheel into location.
Waited a bit - 5-10mins, then installed the ground connection at the battery.
Inserted the key - and now airbag warning light good.
Interior lights check - all function keys alluminated
Horn check - good working
Radio control for sound, channel selection - check
Phone call and hang up function check - good
So then I consider this installation very sucessful.
The only additional tool I would add is a headlamp to get a good look at what you are working on, and to check the connector pins for oxidation at the hub. If you use a used airbag also check the pins on the airbag, if not shiny brass color or suspect. Use electrical contact cleaner from Fry's or similar electronic supply house.

Thanks guys!!!!!!

cheers,

jack ~
jgs99v is offline   Reply With Quote