E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

View Poll Results: What's your opinion..??
M54B30 F/I 11 26.83%
S54 SWAP 6 14.63%
M3 E46 COUPE 24 58.54%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Question 330Ci F/I - S54 SWAP - M3 E46 ???????

Hi fanatics.

That's my baby here.. and my story.. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963944

The car is up for sale a few months now..
I was thinking of selling it and adding some cash to get an ///M3 E46..
But things are so f***** up with the economic crisis here in Greece and people don't give money for cars 2000cc and over.. I also can't swap it for an M3, they ask me alot of extra money.. for 2001-2002 models that are 100K+ kms and not well maintained..

Here is my ad http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/photos/2273085/

Should i keep the 330Ci and go F/I, do an M3 swap or wait and get an ///M.. sometime...???

ESS is out of my budget..
G power (from Greece or Germany) and AA are within my budget..

Car is not a DD.. and also i don't track it at all.. It's just a free time toy/ride.. i love smoking my rear old 18 tires with 2nd gear in our crappy greek roads..

It's been a month since i ve put a new 3,38 diff and i fixed my sticky 5th gear/reverse 5sp gearbox (from 3lt M3 E36 S50)..
I live in an island, so top speed isn't my concern..

Which route is more reliable..??
M54+supercharger OR S54..??

Last edited by zaharias; 01-13-2013 at 02:52 AM.
zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
beautiful car.
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
zaharias

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
beautiful car.
Thanks man!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
if your only asking the question what is more reliable. i would assume that a stock motor is always going to be more reliable than one with aftermarket FI on it....

im currently doing a s54 swap into my sedan that started as a 328i.. It deffinitly would have been a more difficult for me to choose the route i wanted to go in if i started with a 330.

that said, ill be very happy when i have a 350 hp N/A 6 cylinder engine under the hood of my e46 sedan. and now there is the option to add FI to the S54 and we have all seen what that is capable of.

the best option with the least expense for the ammount of benefit you will get is to just buy a e46 m3...

Last edited by BDUB328I; 01-12-2013 at 05:40 PM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Just build your own. Stay away from the kit drama. Go custom F/I edit nvm I didn't realize that wasn't an option.

Last edited by xixixi; 01-12-2013 at 05:51 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Aa

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 01-12-2013 at 09:44 PM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
if your only asking the question what is more reliable. i would assume that a stock motor is always going to be more reliable than one with aftermarket FI on it....

im currently doing a s54 swap into my sedan that started as a 328i.. It deffinitly would have been a more difficult for me to choose the route i wanted to go in if i started with a 330.

that said, ill be very happy when i have a 350 hp N/A 6 cylinder engine under the hood of my e46 sedan. and now there is the option to add FI to the S54 and we have all seen what that is capable of.

the best option with the least expense for the ammount of benefit you will get is to just buy a e46 m3...
I called a junk yard and they gave me a price of 7K euro + shipping + fitting services+++.. when the cheaps M3s are sold @10K euros..!!
Even if i find a cheap 5K euros M3 E46 complete engine swap.. you don't know what will it be.. You will never learn the milage+ we all know the common failures of the S54..
These are some reasons of giving a +1 to the M54+F/I vs the S54..

I would love to buy an M3.. BUT.. i can't sell my 330Ci.. Also i can't trade it plus 5-6K euros to buy a proper ///M.. They were asking me to pay 10K+ for an M that i would have to spend another 5K to be proper!!!

So as you can see.. "the best option with the least expense for the ammount of benefit you will get is to just buy a e46 m3..." is going with F/I..
When with small cost you can add new piston rings, valves etc at the M54 and going F/I rather than going S54.. that also the parts are more expensive.. if future possible failure occurs..

(S54 furure F/I is not an option for me..)

Iam comfused..

Last edited by zaharias; 01-13-2013 at 03:02 AM.
zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Just build your own. Stay away from the kit drama. Go custom F/I edit nvm I didn't realize that wasn't an option.
Can't do this man.. I live in an island and that's why i don't have ALL the needed support.. and also i don't want that much..
I believe a 300-330hp running at a safe boost will be fine for me..
Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
May I ask why you sold the silver one? If your gunna do boost you should put the 4-cyl back in there. Probably will be around the same weight as a six and youll make more bhp than the S52 n/a. I think its cooler to explore the road less traveled but most would just call that weird.

Turbo M54 will probably be cheaper than a Turbo S54, reliability/maintenance wise. Im not a big fan of superchargers unless its a twinscrew.

What are you after? Interesting/unique. Crazy hp numbers.

By the way your a good friend for giving him your bumpers! I like that.

Last edited by SKIPPY PB; 01-13-2013 at 03:02 AM.
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #10
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
Can't do this man.. I live in an island and that's why i don't have ALL the needed support.. and also i don't want that much..
I believe a 300-330hp running at a safe boost will be fine for me..
What about performance 330 motor. 280/300 crank. Whats it come with, ~230 stock like in the US.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #11
zaharias

Thanks for the replies guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
May I ask why you sold the silver one? If your gunna do boost you should put the 4-cyl back in there. Probably will be around the same weight as a six and youll make more bhp than the S52 n/a. I think its cooler to explore the road less traveled but most would just call that weird.

Turbo M54 will probably be cheaper than a Turbo S54, reliability/maintenance wise. Im not a big fan of superchargers unless its a twinscrew.

What are you after? Interesting/unique. Crazy hp numbers.

By the way your a good friend for giving him your bumpers! I like that.

Back in 2007.. i was 25.. i wanted a coupe.. and some more hp.. the silver was a 316i.. That's all..

My coupe had a 4cyl N42 2lt valvetronic engine.. not tunable at all.. I didn't want to go custom or experimenting going F/I with that engine..
So the M54 was my solution.. in 2010..

Not a turbo fan.. and not a custom fun.. I prefer a low boost reliable supercharger kit..
Iam not looking for crazy numbers.. Let's say like M3 performance..
My car is not a DD, i don't track it and i don't street race.. It's just for ME..

My friend with a black coupe, had an accident and he had some problems with his job at that time.. that's why i gave him my stuff very cheap..
Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #12
SKIPPY PB

What about EURO E36 motor? 3.2l? S50b32

Last edited by SKIPPY PB; 01-13-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
floydlloyd85

My Ride: 2002 318 Ci coupe
Quote:
Those engines tend to give serious problems.
floydlloyd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #14
zaharias

Quote:
No no mate..

Let's keep the conversation between M54B30 and S54..
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
zaharias

Quote:
What about performance 330 motor. 280/300 crank. Whats it come with, ~230 stock like in the US.
What do you mean?

My engine is stock M54B30 231ps manual 5sp, 3,38 diff and some custom exhaust mods http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...367&highlight=
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in 2007.. i was 25.. i wanted a coupe.. and some more hp.. the silver was a 316i.. That's all..

My coupe had a 4cyl N42 2lt valvetronic engine.. not tunable at all.. I didn't want to go custom or experimenting going F/I with that engine..
So the M54 was my solution.. in 2010..

Not a turbo fan.. and not a custom fun.. I prefer a low boost reliable supercharger kit..
My car is not a DD, i don't track it and i don't street race.. It's just for ME..

My friend with a black coupe, had an accident and he had some problems with his job at that time.. that's why i gave him my stuff very cheap..
Thanks!!!!!!!!
I could walk you through a nitrous set up that will run with modded e92 m3s... I've done all the work. Tuned it on the dyno, here is my build. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895917 It's easy now, I will share all the jet info. Parts are much cheaper for a m54.

Last edited by xixixi; 01-13-2013 at 10:16 AM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Brandon@activeautowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
M54+supercharger OR S54..??
Whichever setup you choose, you are going to love the end result. I personally DD an e46 M3 and the s54 is by far my all time favorite motor. The only problem is parts are more expensive when something breaks.

However, you will not be disappointed with a supercharger kit for the M54. Our supercharger systems are very easy to maintain and add significant power to your engine

We have sold hundreds of kits over the years. Not to mention our amazing customer service to back it up.

If you have any questions on a system feel free to pm me. Im glad to help
Phone: 305.233.9300 | Fax: 305-253-8921

Last edited by Brandon@activeautowerke; 01-13-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Brandon@activeautowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
I could walk you through a nitrous set up that will run with modded e92 m3s... I've done all the work. Tuned it on the dyno, here is my build. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895917 It's easy now, I will share all the jet info. Parts are much cheaper for a m54.
I took a quick look at your build thread.. congrats man.. by i don't want something like that..!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon@activeautowerke View Post
Whichever setup you choose, you are going to love the end result. I personally DD an e46 M3 and the s54 is by far my all time favorite motor. The only problem is parts are more expensive when something breaks.

However, you will not be disappointed with a supercharger kit for the M54. Our supercharger systems are very easy to maintain and add significant power to your engine

We have sold hundreds of kits over the years. Not to mention our amazing customer service to back it up.

If you have any questions on a system feel free to pm me. Im glad to help
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

How many hp the stage 1 outputs?

Saw an amazing summer sale price.. when are you going to do something similar..??

I live in Greece.. Will the kit perform proper..?? (Greek climate) Is an i/c included..??
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
think you answered your own question right there.

grab a sc kit.. you can install them on a weekend... boosted m54 by monday, best of luck

Last edited by Dreikraft; 01-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Brandon@activeautowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

How many hp the stage 1 outputs?
Our Level one kit is rated at 365 BHP and 270 ft/lbs torque and runs on 8.0 psi.

Output varies depending on weather and engine condition (compression, mileage, etc.)

Quote:
I live in Greece.. Will the kit perform proper..?? (Greek climate) Is an i/c included..??

The kit will definitely perform in Greece. We have a few kits over there and have one shipping out to cyprus as we speak. All of our kits are designed and tested in South Florida where the weather is hot and tropical year round and perform great.

The Level 1 supercharger system does not include an intercooler. On the other hand, our level 2 system does.

Quote:
Saw an amazing summer sale price.. when are you going to do something similar..??
We should be having some promotions like that soon. If you're interested in a price, I can pm you one
Phone: 305.233.9300 | Fax: 305-253-8921

Last edited by Brandon@activeautowerke; 01-13-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Brandon@activeautowerke is offline   Reply With Quote