E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
VTEC_THIS

My Ride: E46 M3
Top speed for Stretched tires?

As much as alot of you may not like it I do have a lowered M3, I recently did a bigger stretch on my rear tires to stop the rubbing issues I was having and am now not sure what a the "safe" freeway speed is. My rear is 18x12 with a 265/35/18 on it just looking for advice and experiences. Thanks BTW: I do have a tendency to drive over 80 on the freeway.....

Last edited by VTEC_THIS; 01-10-2013 at 04:28 AM.
VTEC_THIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
jerseyzillest

My Ride: 325 CI
Well the 30 sidewall is kind of what makes it dangerous, you don't have anything to absorb an impact, if you were to ever hit a big enough bump theres a chance you can blow out the bead. Just my .02

^Taken with iPhone^
:rofl:
jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
eson

My Ride: E46 M3, Porsche 911
The top speed should probably be however fast you go from wherever you are now, to your garage. Where your car should sit until you run a decently sized wheel/tire setup.

Last edited by eson; 01-10-2013 at 12:54 AM.
eson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
The speed limit
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
There is no safe speed for that amount of stretch. You will pop a bead eventually and hopefully destroy those wheels and decide to run something reasonable. 265 is slightly stretched on a 9.5" rim, never mind a 12".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #6
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
got a pic?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
VTEC_THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyzillest View Post
Well the 30 sidewall is kind of what makes it dangerous, you don't have anything to absorb an impact, if you were to ever hit a big enough bump theres a chance you can blow out the bead. Just my .02
I made a mistake there 35 series sidewalls but thanks for the imput
Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
VTEC_THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eson View Post
The top speed should probably be however fast you go from wherever you are now, to your garage. Where your car should sit until you run a decently sized wheel/tire setup.
This made me laugh, I got trolled on this thread
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
VTEC_THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0w View Post
got a pic?
heres a pic my buddy took the other evening
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	735901_4078527321670_439417577_o.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	485434  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eson View Post
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_THIS View Post
This made me laugh, I got trolled on this thread
You laugh and then the response above but then why are you running a setup that will clearly compromise your ///M? Just for looks? If that's the case then you should lay off speeding....just drive the speed limit because you look so cool on those wheels....

The ///M is a performance car, not a cruising good looking car and should have said performance setup. If you want to set up your ///M as you have, then more power to you but don't sit there criticizing other's who do not agree with what you're doing to your ///M. This is the wrong forum for that. Just accept that other's here won't share your views as to how to set up an ///M and leave it at that.

You're running very wide wheels in back, I myself, wouldn't even consider running wheels that wide. Perhaps 18 or 19 x 10's or 10.5's but that's it for me...

Anyway, good luck on your setup and I hope we all don't hear about you wrecking your ///M because your "stretched" tires gave out while you were driving at a high rate of speed.... I did see the pic and your car does look good but I would just cruise in it, not drive too fast...
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 01-10-2013 at 06:51 AM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
VTEC_THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
True

You laugh and then the response above but then why are you running a setup that will clearly compromise your ///M? Just for looks? If that's the case then you should lay off speeding....just drive the speed limit because you look so cool on those wheels....

The ///M is a performance car, not a cruising good looking car and should have said performance setup. If you want to set up your ///M as you have, then more power to you but don't sit there criticizing other's who do not agree with what you're doing to your ///M. This is the wrong forum for that. Just accept that other's here won't share your views as to how to set up an ///M and leave it at that.

You're running very wide wheels in back, I myself, wouldn't even consider running wheels that wide. Perhaps 18 or 19 x 10's or 10.5's but that's it for me...

Anyway, good luck on your setup and I hope we all don't hear about you wrecking your ///M because your "stretched" tires gave out while you were driving at a high rate of speed.... I did see the pic and your car does look good but I would just cruise in it, not drive too fast...

I didnt mean to criticize anyone its just funny to me because I completely agree with you guys, I did pretty much make my car the exact opposite of what it was built for but at the same time I love the look of it right now. Thanks for the tips though Ill just cruise at 70 on the freeway when I get the urge to go fast ill just raise it up and throw on my oem 19s
Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
I have to admit that I was completely against your setup until I saw your pic. Although I wouldn't set up my ///M like you did, I have to say that it does look good!

Yeah, if you're going for this look then just keep it safe so you don't hurt yourself, others, and also your ///M! Happy motoring!!!
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
808elise

My Ride: OG E46 M3/AW E46 M3
West Covina, you must have known Gavin, the prior owner of my new M then.

M///
My Journal II
VFE570 - DIXIS - TWC WIDEBODY - AP RACING - KW V2
M///
808elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
I think I seen this car at the chino hills meet last month. Was that you?
KaliVertBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
OP, smokes too much weed.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
808elise

My Ride: OG E46 M3/AW E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliVertBoy View Post
LOL. No. That was him as his car. Now i'm waiting for it to get off the boat here in Hawaii.

I like you car. Was not digging it from description but picture looks fantastic.

M///
My Journal II
VFE570 - DIXIS - TWC WIDEBODY - AP RACING - KW V2
M///

Last edited by 808elise; 01-12-2013 at 03:47 PM.
808elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #17
VTEC_THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliVertBoy View Post
Yup that was me! That must have been your vert there to it looked clean!

Last edited by VTEC_THIS; 01-13-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #18
VTEC_THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
LOL. No. That was him as his car. Now i'm waiting for it to get off the boat here in Hawaii.

I like you car. Was not digging it from description but picture looks fantastic.
Thanks! And if the widebody white M is the one who got from him Im sure sure your having a blast seen that around a time or two!

Last edited by VTEC_THIS; 01-13-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #19
VTEC_THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
OP, smokes too much weed.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #20
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_THIS View Post
Yup that was me! That must have been your vert there to it looked clean!
Yea, well it was super dirty but yea that was my vert, thanks. I want your rims so bad
KaliVertBoy is offline   Reply With Quote