E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #41
paraklas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 5,913
My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Wrong sized pulley since you had more boost since install?

How many catalytic converters does your car have? I have 2 at the header part and another 2 at the mid-section, perhaps fragments from the first two blocked the next two? When I removed my exhaust, I placed it vertically and a lot of fragments from the cats dropped out
__________________
http://www.argyrides.eu/makeyourownsig.jpg
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #42
AndyN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 206
My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
I have the two in the headers but I have an eisenmann mid section which gets rid of the second two.
Hmmmm I am wondering should I order those headers with the 75 day working day wait after all!
Does the engine have to be lifted out again to fit them?
__________________
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #43
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,991
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
I have the two in the headers but I have an eisenmann mid section which gets rid of the second two.
Hmmmm I am wondering should I order those headers with the 75 day working day wait after all!
Does the engine have to be lifted out again to fit them?
More info...ok.

It's possible that the cats have been the issue.

It's also possible you have an oversized pulley for the TS2+ kits by mistake. (The TS3 kit I think was set at 13 PSI, but needed different cams and aftermarket headers.)

I would want to fit the headers with the engine out, but before you do that you need to figure out if your existing CATs are bad. It would be a bit silly to replace them, only to find you had the same problem. (Overboosting)

Maybe consider sending the headers back to the manufacturer to have them checked?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #44
AndyN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 206
My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
More info...ok.

It's possible that the cats have been the issue.

It's also possible you have an oversized pulley for the TS2+ kits by mistake. (The TS3 kit I think was set at 13 PSI, but needed different cams and aftermarket headers.)

I would want to fit the headers with the engine out, but before you do that you need to figure out if your existing CATs are bad. It would be a bit silly to replace them, only to find you had the same problem. (Overboosting)

Maybe consider sending the headers back to the manufacturer to have them checked?
Sorry I think i have confused you, By headers I mean the OEM Manifold. I have standard manifold then eisenmann mid section and muffler so if the cats are bad on my BMW manifold how would I know?
__________________
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #45
TxZHP04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,728
My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Where did you have your boost gauge connected? Presumably on one of the existing vac ports ESS provided? If so, this is pre charge cooling and you should read more than 8psi of boost as that spec value is post charge cooling. Your 11 psi might be a tad high but probably not by much. ESS should be able to tell you what is normal for your setup. What size pulley were you running?

Sounds like things started with the misfiring, now you just need to identify the cause.

Had you been losing oil for a while or did it lose it all at once?
__________________
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 12-19-2012 at 09:26 AM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #46
AndyN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 206
My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Where did you have your boost gauge connected? Presumably on one of the existing vac ports ESS provided? If so, this is pre charge cooling and you should read more than 8psi of boost as that spec value is post charge cooling. Your 11 psi might be a tad high but probably not by much. ESS should be able to tell you what is normal for your setup. What size pulley were you running?
Im just running whatever pulley came on the unit which I presumed untill now to be for the B25 TS2. It is possible however that this was for TS2+ or from the TS2 b30.. I would have to go measure it to be sure.
Anyone know what size the b25 TS2 pulley should be?

Thats good to know about pre and post charge. Yes its connected to the lines ESS provided. With your TS2+ what pre charge would you see on your gauge?
__________________
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #47
TxZHP04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,728
My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
The pulleys are marked on the front face with their size.

I don't have a boost gauge in the cabin for real time monitoring of boost. IIRC, back when I had the stock exhaust manifold and stock ZHP cams it was something like 10.5 psi. Forget what it is now with cam and header changes. Probably shouldn't be comparing numbers from different kits though.
__________________
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 12-19-2012 at 09:51 AM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #48
HighBoostin330
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 5,262
My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
More info...ok.

It's possible that the cats have been the issue.

It's also possible you have an oversized pulley for the TS2+ kits by mistake. (The TS3 kit I think was set at 13 PSI, but needed different cams and aftermarket headers.)

I would want to fit the headers with the engine out, but before you do that you need to figure out if your existing CATs are bad. It would be a bit silly to replace them, only to find you had the same problem. (Overboosting)

Maybe consider sending the headers back to the manufacturer to have them checked?
TS3 could have ran 14, 15.2, 16PSI. ESS 248/256 cams are required and aftermarket headers.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #49
AquaRelliux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 456
My Ride: 330ci 03 M-sport
Just want to clearify one thing here. Shouldent the M54B30 and M52B28tu be better engines to FI since they have forged internals, the M54B25 engine does not have this maybe this is why it failed?
AquaRelliux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #50
AndyN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 206
My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRelliux View Post
Just want to clearify one thing here. Shouldent the M54B30 and M52B28tu be better engines to FI since they have forged internals, the M54B25 engine does not have this maybe this is why it failed?
Hate to dissapoint but no Forged internals on any of the m54s and I am pretty confident none of the M52's are either..

Hence Stage 3 kits from ESS!!
__________________
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #51
AndyN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 206
My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Engine has arrived. I have been on to ESS and the one thing we have noted is that my previous tune was for 98 octane fuel where as here in Ireland the average is around 95 so we are gonna go with a 95 tune even though it shoots a few horses in the face!
The estimate is roughly 20 horses to be put to sleep...

Still I would prefere a few sleeping horses to a 330 engine going in the shitter..

I will keep updated on the install. waiting for 330 parts from ESS norway..
__________________
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #52
lab rat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,138
My Ride: '02 330iT
Hi Andy, sorry to hear about the loss of your b25.
I wouldn't worry about running slightly less aggressive tune. Better to be safe than sorry. You are gaining a lot of torque by upgrading to longer stroke b30.

Now some advice from a guy that did the exact swap (but I went from b25 stage1 to b30 stage2).
I suggest you install the engine without the supercharger and make sure it runs well first. Smoke check, fuel pressure test etc. Drive it around for few weeks (with your stock 325 ECU is fine).
Your spare engine will likely come with intake manifold and TB. You will still need the b30 airbox and MAF (make sure you get the right one for your ECU (MS45 vs MS43))
Replace stuff that's difficult to get to while the engine is out - OFHG, oil pan seal, rear crankshaft seal, hard plastic pipes for the cooling system. Everything else is easily accessible even with the SC installed.

My gauge never goes over 10PSI (b30 TS2). If the tune was too aggressive you should have heard pinging under heavy load.
__________________
Because sleeper.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #53
lab rat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,138
My Ride: '02 330iT
Anyway, when you are done with your temporary b30 setup get another b30 crank and use it to rebuild your b25 with low compression pistons for TS3
__________________
Because sleeper.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #54
AndyN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 206
My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
Hi Andy, sorry to hear about the loss of your b25.
I wouldn't worry about running slightly less aggressive tune. Better to be safe than sorry. You are gaining a lot of torque by upgrading to longer stroke b30.

Now some advice from a guy that did the exact swap (but I went from b25 stage1 to b30 stage2).
I suggest you install the engine without the supercharger and make sure it runs well first. Smoke check, fuel pressure test etc. Drive it around for few weeks (with your stock 325 ECU is fine).
Your spare engine will likely come with intake manifold and TB. You will still need the b30 airbox and MAF (make sure you get the right one for your ECU (MS45 vs MS43))
Replace stuff that's difficult to get to while the engine is out - OFHG, oil pan seal, rear crankshaft seal, hard plastic pipes for the cooling system. Everything else is easily accessible even with the SC installed.


My gauge never goes over 10PSI (b30 TS2). If the tune was too aggressive you should have heard pinging under heavy load.
Yes I plan on taking a look at all those parts. Unfortunately I wont get a chance to drive the new engine without the supercharger installed as the ECU is already on its way to Norway.

I thought the air box and MAF was the same between the two? God Damn!!

I have the new 3.0L throttle already so I definitely need a new MAF and air box?
__________________
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #55
lab rat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,138
My Ride: '02 330iT
Yep. It's a nasty $300 surprise but I suggest getting a new MAF. Used airbox should be easy to find.
Check with ESS if you really need the pulley. I thought they were the same for b25 and b30.
__________________
Because sleeper.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #56
AndyN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 206
My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
Yep. It's a nasty $300 surprise but I suggest getting a new MAF. Used airbox should be easy to find.
Check with ESS if you really need the pulley. I thought they were the same for b25 and b30.
It shows here on getbmwparts.com that they are the same for b25 and b30

See part 12

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...gramCallOut=21

Although everywhere else would suggest that they are different.
__________________
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #57
lab rat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,138
My Ride: '02 330iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
It shows here on getbmwparts.com that they are the same for b25 and b30

See part 12

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...gramCallOut=21

Although everywhere else would suggest that they are different.
I'm surprised that parts dealer has it wrong.

b30 - 13627567451
b25 - 13621432356

Do you remember the rubber adapter rings you had to install on the TB and the MAF to connect to the ESS rubber intake tube?
With 330 you don't need them because everything from the airbox output is about 10mm bigger.
__________________
Because sleeper.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #58
AndyN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 206
My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
I'm surprised that parts dealer has it wrong.

b30 - 13627567451
b25 - 13621432356

Do you remember the rubber adapter rings you had to install on the TB and the MAF to connect to the ESS rubber intake tube?
With 330 you don't need them because everything from the airbox output is about 10mm bigger.
oh oh!! I never installed such a thing!! Could explain air leak and erratic idle!!??? I just had those silver circular connectors you tighten over the ruber intake tube! Haha you learn something new everyday

Is it not possible to use these adapter rings on the air box side and use the 325 maf and air box and on the supercharger side I already have the 3.0L throttle body?
__________________
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #59
lab rat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,138
My Ride: '02 330iT
Ok calm down
There is a chance ESS changed the design but when I got the kit (aug 2010) they only had one size rubber/silicone intake hose to go from the MAF to TB. For 325 they supplied rubber step down rings to adjust for smaller diameter of 325 intake parts. The silver clamps are the same.
There is a chance that the system worked without those rings if the clamps were really tight. But if there was a leak it would add unmetered air into the system.

Physically the intake would install that way (with step down ring on the MAF side) but I'm not sure what it would do to the engine management. I would get the new MAF. Afterall getting more air into the engine is the whole point. More air = more power.
__________________
Because sleeper.

Last edited by lab rat; 01-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #60
AndyN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 206
My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
Ok calm down
There is a chance ESS changed the design but when I got the kit (aug 2010) they only had one size rubber/silicone intake hose to go from the MAF to TB. For 325 they supplied rubber step down rings to adjust for smaller diameter of 325 intake parts. The silver clamps are the same.
There is a chance that the system worked without those rings if the clamps were really tight. But if there was a leak it would add unmetered air into the system.

Physically the intake would install that way (with step down ring on the MAF side) but I'm not sure what it would do to the engine management. I would get the new MAF. Afterall getting more air into the engine is the whole point. More air = more power.
Ya I get you. Im just being a cheap ass at the moment! haha Ill just go order from turner

Total cost so far in euro
Engine 1100
ESS parts and tune 1450
Shipping to ESS 80
Throttle Body 80
Subframe reinforcement, stuart water pump mechanical belt tensioner fuel filter 700
Subframe Polybushes 160
Total 3570


Along with spending 1000 on getting my e30 up and running. needed new fuel tank and coilovers and bushes and hoses!

Cant wait for next month, Both cars will be fully operational again! Then NO MORE MODS!! haha

Fuel Filter
__________________
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use