E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
grrltraveler2007

My Ride: 2003 330i
Any help with these codes?

Hi all, I have a '02 330i and it's been having an issue but now won't drive at all.

The codes we have found are
P0221
P1632

The car will start but not move - RPMs fluctuate on their own up to 1500 - up and down.

Can you help?

Thanks!
Anne
grrltraveler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Those are throttle pedal and throttle body adaptation codes.

What work was performed just before these codes showed up?

These are not common failures that just happen out of the blue.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Both of those codes appear to be the same thing. P0nnn codes are called generic codes. All cars that make this code make it for the same reason, it is generic. P1nnn codes are unique codes. A Ford or Chevy, for example, could make the same P1nnn code, but the reason is different for each of them and different than the reason BMW makes it, it is unique.

P0221 = Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P1632 = Throttle Valve Adaptation; Adaptation Condition Not Met

Maybe these are not the same thing, like a tomato and a tomahto, but they are related. Your car is telling you that it does not know where the gas pedal is. Your car has a drive-by-wire system, there is a sensor on the gas pedal and a motor on the throttle body. You push the gas pedal and this sends a signal to the computer that then turns around and tells the throttle plate how far it should open. I'm gonna guess here that you need the sensor on the gas pedal, but what you really need is more diagnostic information.

Take your car -- if you are not gonna attempt repairs at home --to Scott at Sterling Autosport. He's located in the neighborhood behind Siggy's on Jefferson Ave.

Last edited by jdstrickland; 12-18-2012 at 06:56 PM.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Those are throttle pedal and throttle body adaptation codes.

What work was performed just before these codes showed up?

These are not common failures that just happen out of the blue.
+1. These are not common failures. If there was work done, then it could be linked.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
grrltraveler2007

Hi jd, thanks for that name, it will help tremendously. My hubby could do the work but it's nice knowing we have an option.

The only work we have done on the car since we owned it is change the oil and change the tires. Also, since this started happening, hubby has been trying resolve but he only cleared the MAF sensor (I believe that's what he called it).

It started happening slowly, where it was occasional. You could turn off the car for 20 seconds, then turn back on and it would be fine. Even last week, it was working OK again. By Friday it would not run.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
jfoj

Personally with the small bit of information you provided, I think there may be more to the story??

I would recommend that the throttle cable be unplugged and plugged back in before I took any further action? This assumes someone has been down this close to the throttle body. This is a simple and easy, no cost thing that can be performed fairly easily.

It is not clear if the MAF sensor cleaning task was performed for this problem or if this problem is a result of the MAF cleaning for some other reason or other problem?

Had the car been detailed or to the full service car wash before any of this happened?

Just trying to understand what happened just before this all started.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
jfoj

Try this and see if it helps the situation??

Turn the key to position "2". Position "2" is one position before the car engages and starts, do not start the engine.
Wait 10 seconds and then turn the key back to position "0", which is the initial position.
Once again wait 10 seconds and then start the car up.

This procedure is supposed to reset/adapt the throttle??

Something I have found, not sure how accurate it is.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrltraveler2007 View Post
Hi jd, thanks for that name, it will help tremendously. My hubby could do the work but it's nice knowing we have an option.

The only work we have done on the car since we owned it is change the oil and change the tires. Also, since this started happening, hubby has been trying resolve but he only cleared the MAF sensor (I believe that's what he called it).

It started happening slowly, where it was occasional. You could turn off the car for 20 seconds, then turn back on and it would be fine. Even last week, it was working OK again. By Friday it would not run.
Just because it isn't a common failure does not mean it can't happen. It can happen, that's why they gave it a code.

Your description of the symptom set fits the code. I have not seen the code before, but I have seen things happen that come on slowly, and if ignored long enough the car eventually stops altogether. There is a P0340 code that hs to deal with a cam sensor, it often will fail in a manner similar to what you describe -- we turn the car off and back on, and it works for days or hours. I only bring this up to support your experience that the car would self-correct by shutting it off, until it finally fails completely.

I have no experience with the reset that jfoj is talking about, but it can't hurt. Give it a whirl.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
grrltraveler2007

Well, I did mention that this had been happening for awhile. We read a lot about the symptoms and tried to resolve the easy parts - MAF being one of them.

It hasn't gone through the car wash either. or been detailed.

One thing my hubby told me to mention, in case it matters.... the car did not get driven much - twice a month to the airport and back (60 miles each way) and daily school runs. Occasionally additional trip to my folks (45miles) - anyhow he wanted me to mention in case it could be a factor somehow.

I will try the reset. I know we saw one online that said turn to that position for 60 seconds to recalibrate the throttle but that did not help

Thanks so much for all your responses.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
jdstrickland

Me thinks you need to take the car to Scott. My instinct is that the throttle position sensor on the gas pedal is toast. I suppose if you can buy one for 50 bucks or whatever (relatively cheap) and put it in by yourself, and this fixes it, then you don't need Scott. I can't recall anybody ever reporting this problem, so I really don't have very high confidence that it is the problem, although the codes point to it. I can't argue with the codes.

Last edited by jdstrickland; 12-18-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
jdstrickland

I have high confidence that you only have one problem though. One problem, two codes. More correctly, same problem reported twice.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
grrltraveler2007

Well we bought the new pedal, part # 35426786282-01 and fitted it today with no luck Somebody mentioned I should find the throttle cable and unplug and plug back in . Trying to find this cable is it visible or do we have to remove bits before we can see it?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
jdstrickland

I'm not sure where it is hiding, but I would expect that the air cleaner box would need to be removed to gain access to the throttle body.

Back in the olden days, you pressed the gas pedal with your foot, this moved a linkage that connected to the throttle plate and pulled the plate open so more air would enter.

The way they do this on your car is that you press the pedal, this causes a signal (from the part you replaced today) to be sent to the computer, which then sends out a signal to a motor that opens the throttle plate. You should be able to identify the throttle plate, what you are looking for is the wire that plugs into the motor that moves the plate as you change your foot position on the gas pedal.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
grrltraveler2007

Sorry for delay, just getting back to this after Christmas.

On the way in to clean the TB we took out the DISA and intake boots and have ordered new intake boots.

1) The DISA is dirty, oily crud. Can this just be cleaned, if so what's best to use?
2) Our plan is to clean TB using TB cleaner and then put her back together to see if that was it.

If not we'll buy a new TB. Is there anything else we should do/replace etc whilst we're in there?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Have you searched here and google for your codes? That always helped me find solutions. Here, search for both codes together and individually in advanced/title search.

If you're cleaning TB, might want to replace gasket behind...if removing it, which is best way to clean it. In the car, be sure to let things dry out before starting the car...and while at TB, replace lower boot (you can thank me later!)...disa o-ring (clean with TB cleaner too). If it's that bad, someday look into CCV as that might explain why disa is so oily.

Sorry I can't help more. If I knew more, I would...if I was currently single and you were too, I might also!

So you got pedal and that didn't work...assuming it was OE and new. Only other thing I'd say is don't assume the codes mean 'exactly' the same thing...maybe they do, but another thing.

Check realoem.com ...either pedals or maybe trans...for some throttle position thingy.... Maybe there's a relay or the like?

I'm pretty sure there's another sensor besides those on the pedal itself, but maybe not? Tell hubby to make sure he plugged whatever in...and ask him nicely...and then afterwards, for all his hard work, you really should treat him very nicely! Just saying!

Also, tell him that instead of you reading Fanatics until you're nauseous, that he should. Be careful here, please. This forum is safe for you...your regional forum, or OT, definitely not. Totally inappropriate communications go on there. Just stay here and all will be fine. Your husband, on the other hand, might really enjoy OT...tell him to say "hi" to Griffin for me. He's sort of our national treasure!

Good luck with your car...and don't worry...if I know something, I'll help if I can!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
grrltraveler2007

Update,

So as we await delivery of new intake boots today hubbie took out the icv and cleaned it up and reinstalled it. He also started to clean the TB but when I press the throttle down from inside the TB plate doesn't open. When I turn the key to the second position(dashboard lights) the throttle plate opens about 1/4 inch but no more, even when I press on the throttle. He had read that as this is a drive by wire (2003 330i) he shouldnt push on the plate with his finger in order to open it. When it opened that tiny bit he sprayed TB cleaner in there. Should that plate open to the horizontal position when throttle is pressed inside the car or is this correct?

We swapped out the throttle pedal for the new one thinking maybe that was it but it made no difference We're thinking the a new TB is in our future.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Before you pull the trigger on a new TB, I would suggest taking the old one out and cleaning it. In my 00 E46 323i I had an issue in which my TB was sealed shut because of accumulated carbon build-up. After I cleaned it and made sure it was opening properly my issues also went away. Just a thought!
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
grrltraveler2007

Thanks Zchild, is it as straight forward as pulling those 4 bolts?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrltraveler2007 View Post
Thanks Zchild, is it as straight forward as pulling those 4 bolts?
Yes, its a very simple process, in my case I needed the tap of a mallet and chisel to reopen the flap in order to clean it thoroughly. Let us know if the TB cleaning changes anything!
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote