E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #21
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Anyone have any comments on these above? Shadow weapons? Looking at maybe ordering
Bump. Really wanna buy.
Wanna buy an LRB lower but can't afford the $300+ people are asking especially since they're about $90 new :/
Wish someone was willing to sell me one at a good price given that I'm not looking to resale.
So does anyone have input on these lowers above?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #22
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
And CMMG LPK or RRA LPK?
CMMG and RRA both use components made by LW Schneider. RRA will have a higher threshold for quality control, and they won't take the same grade components that CMMG will. RRA usually sticks to grades 1-3, while CMMG hovers in the 3-5 range.
CMMG is basically DPMS. They claim they're not, but they are. They're still using DPMS sourced components.
I have used RRA components in several builds and they're good quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
They have some cheap Frontier composite ones out there. I have no experience with them though. Check your local armslist.....some come up at a decent deal.
DO NOT BUY composite/polymer lowers. They're junk. They WILL break. I've posted photos on this forum numerous times. Frontier is a common offender. They can't handle the stresses of the AR15 design and it's been proven over and over. I've actually had my hands on several broken polymer/composite lowers. FUCKING JUNK.
Please don't every buy them. Anyone. Everyone here deserves better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
I'd pass on the poly lowers. It dont take to much pressure to snap one.

A lowers a lower... not to many out of spec lowers floating around today and even the cheapest of lowers will perform just as well as a more expensive model if its in spec.

However, I would avoid any of the "local brands" no clue how good they are and you have to think that the hand full of people who recomend them are probably buying them because there the dirt cheapest and they have no real experiance with the platform or the financial backing to shoot one until it fails. They may be the best thing out there...there probably not. I know of one local machine shop producing 10 rifles a week. Right now there 75+ rifles backordered and they are selling for $850 IIRC for a complete rifle. I've got a friend whos drinking there coolaid but I'm not going to waste any money preordering what's probably junk just yet.

I'd stick with a established brand RRA, Bushmaster, DPMS.... ect ect ect... There all gona be about the same when it comes to lowers.
The key is making sure it's in spec, which not all companies do well.
Top level companies use higher grade components that are more durable and reliable.

Quote:
Anyone have any comments on these above? Shadow weapons? Looking at maybe ordering
It's not going to be top of the line, but it'll probably work decently. I would be willing to bet that they're on par with Palmetto State or similar companies. Hobby grade, maybe enough for some moderate use and abuse. If you want a range gun, it's probably an acceptable purchase. Not my cup of tea, but you have to ask yourself how picky you can afford to be at this time.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
Bump. Really wanna buy.
Wanna buy an LRB lower but can't afford the $300+ people are asking especially since they're about $90 new :/
Wish someone was willing to sell me one at a good price given that I'm not looking to resale.
So does anyone have input on these lowers above?
lol, nobodies gona let one go at the old price.

Just nutt up and spend 300+ while you still can.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
I have 2 special order Zombie Defense lower receivers on order right now. $130 each includes custom logo (replacing the companies logo with a statewide gun rights group logo (GeorgiaCarry.org).

As a side note, anyone have any thoughts on this BCG? http://www.ar15news.com/2013/01/09/a...pre-order-199/
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
I have 2 special order Zombie Defense lower receivers on order right now. $130 each includes custom logo (replacing the companies logo with a statewide gun rights group logo (GeorgiaCarry.org).

As a side note, anyone have any thoughts on this BCG? http://www.ar15news.com/2013/01/09/a...pre-order-199/
Those look mighty sexy. Will wait for the experts to give their opinion....
Old 01-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #26
rkhettry23

My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
Anyone know of any sites/shops that will hold a lower order for you while your paperwork processes? Obviously paying for most if not all completely up front.

2002 325xi--Parted Out

Last edited by rkhettry23; 01-13-2013 at 07:30 PM.
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #27
Wraisil

What paperwork? It's just a lower purchase...

edit: nm, I didn't look at your location.

Last edited by Wraisil; 01-13-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #28
rkhettry23

My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
Quote:
What paperwork? It's just a lower purchase...

edit: nm, I didn't look at your location.
Yea it would be registered in NJ.

2002 325xi--Parted Out
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #29
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
are any of the $300-400 AR15 lowers on gunbroker decent for just target and stuff?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #30
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
I got a Noveske for 400 and that's considered good stuff.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #31
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
are any of the $300-400 AR15 lowers on gunbroker decent for just target and stuff?
I'll have 5 spikes lowers soon I'm going to throw up on gunbroker for about $400 each
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #32
Noreaster33

My Ride: 2001 330ci
If your scrambling to get one you prob shouldn't own one . Why you want one now all of a sudden
Noreaster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #33
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
That's difficult to say without knowing a brand/make. Will it be in spec? More than likely, yes. Price will not be a determining factor.

Each component has a tolerance that it has to meet to be in spec. That tolerance can be greater or lesser than the called for dimension. Problems start when the QC process is such that as long as a part is in spec, it passes.

So let's look at the upper and lower receivers. They are tested individually, and the QC guy tests (hopefully they have someone testing) the lower and spec is considered 3.0 - 5.0. The lower tests as 3.1 and is considered "in spec" and is passed and set aside. Now he is testing an upper receiver and spec is considered 3.0 - 5.0. The upper tests as 4.9 and is considered "in spec" and is passed and set aside.

Joe consumer buys an upper and lower, tries to mate them together and guess what? The take down pins barely fit and need to be hammered just to get them together, or they don't fit at all. But how is that possible? They are both "in spec"! Because the company isn't looking at the finished product as a whole.

Now look at a company like BCM (my favorite, my example). The same upper and lower will probably be rejected and sent back to the foundry (likely to be sold to the company above) because they will consider "in spec" 3.5 - 4.5 and both of the pieces would have failed.

These are BS numbers that I just made up for this example, but I hope you get the point.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #34
Wraisil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster33 View Post
If your scrambling to get one you prob shouldn't own one . Why you want one now all of a sudden
I'm not scrambling for anything. I "had" plenty of guns (before the tragic undocumented boating accident....), but recently came upon a group buy for lowers at a good price which also supports an organization I strongly support (through donations as well as volunteer work). But that's just me, I can't speak to others.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #35
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
wtf sort of statement is this? so first time owners aren't allowed to buy right now?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #36
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Why not?

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #37
Wraisil

Quote:
wtf sort of statement is this? so first time owners aren't allowed to buy right now?
I have owned many guns. Most with "high capacity" magazines. Some are considered by the main-stream media/politicians to be "assault weapons". However, for what I use them for they are simply "fun" (the AWs anyway). My hunting rifles are much more deadlier than any "assault" rifle I've owned, and my shotgun is a more effective weapon in most situations than my "high capacity" handguns.

Those purchasing them now (for the most part) seem to be people with little or no knowledge of firearms and their uses, except for the paranoid "I want to be ready to be a part of the resistance" people. The prices are generally outlandish right now (lower receivers for 2-3x their normal price 3 months ago?). The people paying them are not firearms enthusiasts with a level head on their shoulders. They are profiteers hoping to have "grandfathered gun" they can sell later, right-win extremists who actually think civil war is weeks or months away, and new-comers who have no idea what they are doing with the guns. I would almost agree that anyone but the first category probably shouldn't be buying them (shouldn't be prevented from buying them, just shouldn't be buying them).
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #38
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
I really dont like the finish on Noveskes, anyone else have the same gripe?
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #39
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I really dont like the finish on Noveskes, anyone else have the same gripe?
Do you chainsaw or regular? I liked the finishes on all 3 of mine. Head down billet lowers have the worst finish I've ever seen and they are a useless company.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #40
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
I have owned many guns. Most with "high capacity" magazines. Some are considered by the main-stream media/politicians to be "assault weapons". However, for what I use them for they are simply "fun" (the AWs anyway). My hunting rifles are much more deadlier than any "assault" rifle I've owned, and my shotgun is a more effective weapon in most situations than my "high capacity" handguns.

Those purchasing them now (for the most part) seem to be people with little or no knowledge of firearms and their uses, except for the paranoid "I want to be ready to be a part of the resistance" people. The prices are generally outlandish right now (lower receivers for 2-3x their normal price 3 months ago?). The people paying them are not firearms enthusiasts with a level head on their shoulders. They are profiteers hoping to have "grandfathered gun" they can sell later, right-win extremists who actually think civil war is weeks or months away, and new-comers who have no idea what they are doing with the guns. I would almost agree that anyone but the first category probably shouldn't be buying them (shouldn't be prevented from buying them, just shouldn't be buying them).

Then there are those of us who are long time shooters/gun owners with previous plans to expand our collections, but got caught up in this mess.

I started actively hunting for an AR about a month before Sandy Hook. I held off all year because I was hoping to score one via Black Friday/ Holiday Specials (like I did my first Rifle last year.)
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote