E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #3661
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
saying it's raw denim is kind of a misnomer. they have a lot of raw denim but they don't only do raw denim. LVC is based in amsterdam, even though it's a branch of Levi's. the denim predominately (no longer exclusively) comes from north carolina's cone denim mills which is one of the oldest denim mills in the states. LVC used to exclusively be manufactured in the states, but no longer. some are made in the states, some are made in turkey. all the cottom sportswear is made in portugal.
Thanks. I was getting confused between raw and selvedge, I think. Selvedge is the old style of making jeans and raw is when it is unwashed, right? Some of the jeans that I am seeing from LVC are selvedge (they are all selvedge, right?), but don't look raw.

I wouldn't mind that. I don't think I could bring myself to wear raw denim. I understand why guys wear jeans for months, even a year without washing them, but I don't think I could do that. The thought of it grosses me out.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #3662
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Thanks. I was getting confused between raw and selvedge, I think. Selvedge is the old style of making jeans and raw is when it is unwashed, right? Some of the jeans that I am seeing from LVC are selvedge (they are all selvedge, right?), but don't look raw.

I wouldn't mind that. I don't think I could bring myself to wear raw denim. I understand why guys wear jeans for months, even a year without washing them, but I don't think I could do that. The thought of it grosses me out.
selvedge is a finished edge of a fabric. typically with a red line. raw is unwashed denim. i don't know if all LVC's are selvedge anymore either. i don't think the 605 washed versions are, but i could be wrong.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #3663
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
I understand why guys wear jeans for months, even a year without washing them, but I don't think I could do that. The thought of it grosses me out.
I never wash my jeans unless i get blood or puke on them. Why spend months breaking them in only to fruitlessly wash them?

Can you articulate a specific danger of not washing denim?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #3664
Wes

Quote:
selvedge is a finished edge of a fabric. typically with a red line. raw is unwashed denim. i don't know if all LVC's are selvedge anymore either. i don't think the 605 washed versions are, but i could be wrong.
Got it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
I never wash my jeans unless i get blood or puke on them. Why spend months breaking them in only to fruitlessly wash them?

Can you articulate a specific danger of not washing denim?
The thought just grosses me out.

Typically, I will wear jeans for about a month (5-10 times) before I wash them. Even if you try to keep your jeans clean, they still get dirty and develop a strange texture if you go a long time without washing them.

A lot of times when I'm out, I'll be around people who are smoking or I am smoking (e.g., going to a cigar lounge)... then there are restaurants like kbbq where the smell sticks to all of your clothes.

Little things like that keep me from not washing my jeans. With raw denim, once you've achieved the look that you want, you can toss them in the washer and treat them like normal jeans from that point on, right?
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #3665
imolazhp_ci

Quote:
Got it. Thanks.

The thought just grosses me out.

Typically, I will wear jeans for about a month (5-10 times) before I wash them. Even if you try to keep your jeans clean, they still get dirty and develop a strange texture if you go a long time without washing them.

A lot of times when I'm out, I'll be around people who are smoking or I am smoking (e.g., going to a cigar lounge)... then there are restaurants like kbbq where the smell sticks to all of your clothes.

Little things like that keep me from not washing my jeans. With raw denim, once you've achieved the look that you want, you can toss them in the washer and treat them like normal jeans from that point on, right?
i wouldn't ever wash jeans in a washer. definitely don't dry them. the problem is that when they are wet, the fabric "blooms", so it's larger and expanded, the agitation from the washer while bloomed causes premature wear. similar, drying them sets the blooming effect which is why after drying clothes you notice a light "fuzz". this is literally cooked fibers.

if you insist on cleaning your jeans, there are two options:

soak them in the bath for 15 minutes in room temperature water with a tablespoon of laundry detergent, preferably while on. like wear them in the bath, then rinse in the shower and hang dry. wearing them while soaking will help retain their shape.

or...

wipe them clean with a damp sponge with a little laundry detergent in the sponge.

Last edited by imolazhp_ci; 01-12-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #3666
imolazhp_ci

also, if you're simply worried about odor, just sponge clean them for spots and put them in the freezer for 24 hrs. the cold temperature will kill any odor causing bacteria.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #3667
rohde88

I dont remember if i posted this. A little manhattan print.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358031606.272459.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	485779  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #3668
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
i wouldn't ever wash jeans in a washer. definitely don't dry them. the problem is that when they are wet, the fabric "blooms", so it's larger and expanded, the agitation from the washer while bloomed causes premature wear. similar, drying them sets the blooming effect which is why after drying clothes you notice a light "fuzz". this is literally cooked fibers.

if you insist on cleaning your jeans, there are two options:

soak them in the bath for 15 minutes in room temperature water with a tablespoon of laundry detergent, preferably while on. like wear them in the bath, then rinse in the shower and hang dry. wearing them while soaking will help retain their shape.

or...

wipe them clean with a damp sponge with a little laundry detergent in the sponge.
Quote:
also, if you're simply worried about odor, just sponge clean them for spots and put them in the freezer for 24 hrs. the cold temperature will kill any odor causing bacteria.
Please excuse a giggle or two, but don't you think this is a little excessive for a pair of jeans?? Wash cold water, hang dry...

Anyways, what about dry clean...?
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #3669
imolazhp_ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
Please excuse a giggle or two, but don't you think this is a little excessive for a pair of jeans?? Wash cold water, hang dry...

Anyways, what about dry clean...?
dry clean is fine.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #3670
JJR4884

good, i'll start doing that now for my jeans... i'll even have them press a crease down the middle of the pant leg
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #3671
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
ive gotten really into raw denim in the past year or so. went 8 months before washing my first pair and they never really smelled or got gross. all i ever did was febreze it once in a while. even at the 8 month mark, my jeans didnt stink. it's best if you stop thinking of the jeans as an article of clothing that you wash on a regular basis (e.g. shirts, underwear, socks) and more as an article of clothing you wash occasionally (e.g. jackets, hats, thick sweaters).

i admit: it's not for everyone, and i even avoid telling people that i wear raw denim for fear of grossing them out. however, i personally like that the wear and tear on my jeans was caused by me and not distressed by some factory. it's kinda cool that every bit of wear on your clothing represents stuff that you did or stuff that you do.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 01-12-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #3672
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selvage

part of the manufacturing process when it comes to knit/woven textiles.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #3673
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...MobileOptOut=1

AE dalton in gray
Yay?

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #3674
rohde88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
it's kinda cool that every bit of wear on your clothing represents stuff that you did or stuff that you do.
personally i have the same iphone square in front pocket, wallet in back right
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #3675
imolazhp_ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
personally i have the same iphone square in front pocket, wallet in back right
i only keep stuff in my jacket pockets when I wear jeans. to me, there's nothing uglier than an iPhone or wallet outline.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #3676
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
I wear my jeans a few wears before I wash them. There's nothing wrong with washing them in a washing machine.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #3677
imolazhp_ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
I wear my jeans a few wears before I wash them. There's nothing wrong with washing them in a washing machine.
there's nothing wrong with it if they are washed when you buy them, if they are raw, there is absolutely something wrong with it.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #3678
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
negative
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #3679
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
For a casual shoe?

You guys have a boner for AE's and I've seen maybe 1 attractive pair posted in here.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #3680
imolazhp_ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
For a casual shoe?

You guys have a boner for AE's and I've seen maybe 1 attractive pair posted in here.
i'm not an AE fan either, but that's well known in these parts.