E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: Who's the current greatest forum member?
E46Mango 36 24.49%
Flashmeow 6 4.08%
Dmax 41 27.89%
Kpeng 6 4.08%
Cyberkaa 16 10.88%
Gheybe 7 4.76%
Delmarco 8 5.44%
SolidJake 23 15.65%
4ngie 1 0.68%
2000_328CI 3 2.04%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #61
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You forget your 'editing' phase when you'd translate my well-written ten paragraph manuscripts into one acronym?
I remember! And yes JFOJ, shanneba... two greats, as well. Right under my nose (in my sig) and I forgot them.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #62
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
I wish I went to your high school!
Probably wasn't so much the high school as the time period. Let me tell you son, the late '60s/ early '70s really were as good as you've heard!
Then came disco, aids...& the music was over.

Murf (old hippie....)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #63
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
In the forums current state...
General:
DMAx
E46Mango
jofj
Alex323ci
Jdstrickland
(I ask myself what would these guys do? and through telepathy, remote viewing, and a surveillance tap on Dmax' TomTom I can channel their wisdom.)

OT:
Griffin
Jonjon
V8_5

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #64
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Ray,

Yours, I want you to know, was the best written, most sincere request. I really was only joking...I'm preparing for a show this week, so I have to exercise.

But, you're doing well here, keep it up and I bet you could be on the list. Also, you know, most of my posts are helpful...easily 70% of them. And about 94% are intended to be.

You missed the time when I was really helpful...couldn't keep it up.

Oh, btw, no one has mentioned a few others here that have been great...jfoj, shanneba, jdstrick, jbeuro, mjlavelle...and +1 on Griffin, who's given me more laughs from his challenge thread!
Thank you but I really have no desire to be on anyone's fan list. Its all far too sychophantic for my humble tastes. If I can help out on this site that is satisfying enough.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #65
Mango
A full five stars, son

thanks for the mention, Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Thank you but I really have no desire to be on anyone's fan list. Its all far too sychophantic for my humble tastes. If I can help out on this site that is satisfying enough.
You think i got my "fans" by telling jokes posting pictures of "lolcats"?

i don't get why you're so angry

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #66
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
I lol'd at "all time legends".
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #67
king kong

My Ride: mid-engine
Quote:
Cyberkaa...Kalim...turned his sedan into an M...he's got the 332i badge on his red car in sig.

He's very smart and hairy. Every week or so, his friends in California gather around him while he's working on cars and draw lots for who gets to shave what, in what order.

It's a very weird thing, I know, but I saw it first hand. After this shaving, they pass around a box of kleenex. Made me feel awkward, but when in Rome, you know...
we can neither confirm nor deny this statement
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #68
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
thanks for the mention, Mike!
You think i got my "fans" by telling jokes posting pictures of "lolcats"?

i don't get why you're so angry
I am not angry. I don't get angry. I just comment appropriately. For example, take your response to this posting today.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965541

OP: Put in new street edge coils in. The front is clunking though. so before I take it to a mechanic what could be wrong?

E46Mango: you put in new street edge coils.

It is a pointless and sarcastic comment and only serves to wind the OP up as is evident from his response to your comment. This was, no doubt, your objective. I say that because I really can't think of any other reason for posting it. The guy is clearly concerned, as anyone would be, and the last thing he needs is some smart a**e taking the piss. Its not big and its not clever.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #69
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
330ciandr6 or mkodama.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #70
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I am not angry. I don't get angry. I just comment appropriately. For example, take your response to this posting today.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965541

OP: Put in new street edge coils in. The front is clunking though. so before I take it to a mechanic what could be wrong?

E46Mango: you put in new street edge coils.

It is a pointless and sarcastic comment and only serves to wind the OP up as is evident from his response to your comment. This was, no doubt, your objective. I say that because I really can't think of any other reason for posting it. The guy is clearly concerned, as anyone would be, and the last thing he needs is some smart a**e taking the piss. Its not big and its not clever.
I stand by my comment 100%. I will not stand idly by while people install dangerous products on their car. The OP asked a question and I responded with the truth. Despite the information and advice I, and people like me give, people still go against the grain and install junk on their cars then post threads wondering why.

If you're concerned about your car, don't install junk on it. That simple.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #71
mkodama

Quote:
Flash, re: your comment, 100% of the small group of people who don't like me are against proactively maintaining their car. They claim it's a waste of money. That's all there is to it. I still try to help them though when they need it!

As for Cyberkaa, I wish he would post more in general instead of OT. He's a swap genius and his help could be used more here. I hope he reads this!!

Oh and the tags. uh...
I know some of them don't like you for saying you can't put M3 suspension on a non-M, doing so, and then figuring out you can and it works just fine.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #72
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I know some of them don't like you for saying you can't put M3 suspension on a non-M, doing so, and then figuring out you can and it works just fine.
No. I said for practical purposes it doesn't work and should not be attempted. You have to buy additional parts like the mounts for the front struts and then the car will sit high. All for negilible, if any, gains. Not to mention used struts will likely be completely degraded. This has already been discussed. For all intents and purposes, it doesn't work. That person, BTW, removed that M3 suspension after 30 days.

You know for someone so "hated," as you say, I seem to be doing quite well here in this poll. I also decided to offer my apology to you if I ever offended you and have yet to see a response??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #73
mkodama

Quote:
No. I said for practical purposes it doesn't work and should not be attempted. You have to buy additional parts like the mounts for the front struts and then the car will sit high. All for negilible, if any, gains. Not to mention used struts will likely be completely degraded. This has already been discussed. For all intents and purposes, it doesn't work. That person, BTW, removed that M3 suspension after 30 days.

You know for someone so "hated," as you say, I seem to be doing quite well here in this poll. I also decided to offer my apology to you if I ever offended you and have yet to see a response??
LOL, at justifying not being hated by your popularity.

I know two people who have M3 front suspension on their car and what do you know, it works! The front end isn't lifted, stock M3 suspension will be roughly at the same height as a ZHP, and the spring rates and damping are stiffer. The top hats and top hat bearings are of a much better design that prevent strut tower mushrooming and can allow you to get more caster and camber. Stock M3 springs are actually just as short as many aftermarket E46 springs so you don't even need a spring compressor to take them off the struts. Surprise!

You'd know that if you'd actually installed them instead of just reading stuff and making conclusions online.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #74
RayPooley

Quote:
I stand by my comment 100%. I will not stand idly by while people install dangerous products on their car. The OP asked a question and I responded with the truth. Despite the information and advice I, and people like me give, people still go against the grain and install junk on their cars then post threads wondering why.

If you're concerned about your car, don't install junk on it. That simple.
.............. and there it is. The arrogance of which I speak.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #75
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
LOL, at justifying not being hated by your popularity.

I know two people who have M3 front suspension on their car and what do you know, it works! The front end isn't lifted, stock M3 suspension will be roughly at the same height as a ZHP, and the spring rates and damping are stiffer. The top hats and top hat bearings are of a much better design that prevent strut tower mushrooming and can allow you to get more caster and camber. Stock M3 springs are actually just as short as many aftermarket E46 springs so you don't even need a spring compressor to take them off the struts. Surprise!

You'd know that if you'd actually installed them instead of just reading stuff and making conclusions online.
Just curious, what's the benefit of installing a used suspension? Are you aware of Sachs strut degradation at 40,000 miles? This is common knowledge across M3forum, bimmerforums, etc. I have links, quotes, and sources but I'll wait for your response first (you'll probably say I'm making it up, etc. etc.)

You might want to edit the "how to fit ///M parts on your non-///M E46" thread then with your newfound information. Because as it sits now, consensus is to NOT do it. While it may physically fit, it's just not worth it. Have you read the thread??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #76
RayPooley

Quote:
Stock M3 springs are actually just as short as many aftermarket E46 springs so you don't even need a spring compressor to take them off the struts.
The springs aren't preloaded?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #77
mkodama

Quote:
The springs aren't preloaded?
They are preloaded just enough to keep them snugly in place. Last friday I just pressed down on the top hat while a friend put the nut on a few turns, and tightening the nut compresses it the rest of the way. Stronger and heavier people can do it by themselves without help.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #78
mkodama

Quote:
Just curious, what's the benefit of installing a used suspension? Are you aware of Sachs strut degradation at 40,000 miles? This is common knowledge across M3forum, bimmerforums, etc. I have links, quotes, and sources but I'll wait for your response first (you'll probably say I'm making it up, etc. etc.)

You might want to edit the "how to fit ///M parts on your non-///M E46" thread then with your newfound information. Because as it sits now, consensus is to NOT do it. While it may physically fit, it's just not worth it. Have you read the thread??
Whoever said used or high mileage?

Mango, why are you being so ugly? What did M3 suspension ever do to you?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #79
metal massager

My Ride: frankenbi///Mmer
Has anyone besides me noticed this is an ANNUAL (year long event) to pick ALL TIME fanatic? Doesn't seem very well thought out to me......

Mkodama should have been included......who else has the stones to have an ///M as his avatar on 190rev.net where half of what they discuss is how bad BMW sucks ......and has an EVO II as his Sig here!! Love it!!! Plus he always sizes it up appropriately.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #80
mkodama