E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #21
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
brown rice or whole wheat pasta. I mostly stick to sweet potatoes.

One great seed I have been using and it's a power house is chia seeds. Expensive but it got so many good things in it (fiber, protein, omega 3). I add it to pancakes or shakes.
Please explain the benefit of whole wheat pasta over regular pasta.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]For working out, forget about abs, walking, and running. Pick three of below and do 3 times a week. Do 5 sets of 5 reps. Balance upper and lower body. Start with low weights, but you want to be almost reaching failure on 5th rep:

Front squats, back squats, bench press with dumbbells, shoulder press, dead lifts, pullups, or chinups.

The gym is not to chat or socialize, neither it's not a place where you're comfortable. You need to be sweating and keep your heart rate pumping. You need to push yourself. Every week you should be adding 5lbs to your weights. That's how you measure your progress. After a while you cannot progress that same way as muscles need more time to recover.
Ughhh no.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 01-14-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Perhaps not crazy for you, but certainly would be for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Fully agree! Your maintenance level is actually right on 2000 calories! (Thats with a sedentary job and minimal/no exercise). I don't know your body fat levels, but you do not need 2 lbs of meat a day, as you are most likely in the 1.5 lb range, which is about 1000 calories for lean ground beef for example. That leaves 1000 calories for additional fat and carbs, which should be plenty

I was just trying to point out that 2 lbs of meat isn't such a crazy amount, though it may seem that way.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
I agree this is bogus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Ughhh no.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #25
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Reg pasta has simple carbs like white rice, which will cause insulin spikes. It has less fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. You can compare online and see.

Quote:
Please explain the benefit of whole wheat pasta over regular pasta.

Like it mentioned, 5lbs gains will be at the begining. This is mostly for beginners. Obviously intermediate and advanced lifters cannot advance that fast.

I was lifting for 2 years, took a year off, came back and was adding 5lbs every week. After few months I would add 5lbs every month or so. Simple muscle adaptation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Ughhh no.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #26
dabears

Quote:
Reg pasta has simple carbs like white rice, which will cause insulin spikes. It has less fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. You can compare online and see.

Like it mentioned, 5lbs gains will be at the begining. This is mostly for beginners. Obviously intermediate and advanced lifters cannot advance that fast.

I was lifting for 2 years, took a year off, came back and was adding 5lbs every week. After few months I would add 5lbs every month or so. Simple muscle adaptation.
so whole wheat pasta does not have "simple carbs"?

I think you fail to understand the very basis of simple vs complex (hint, it has more to do with processing than ingredients)

and why would whole wheat pasta have more protein?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Post pics and I'll tell you if this is a good plan or not. <no h0m0>

** Removed **

Last edited by SLVR JDM; 01-14-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
This
Old 01-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #29
z00

You're right, but I was talking in terms of nutrients you get from eating pasta vs whole wheat pasta.

This articles sums it up pretty good.
http://greatist.com/health/is-whole-...sta-healthier/

Quote:
so whole wheat pasta does not have "simple carbs"?

I think you fail to understand the very basis of simple vs complex (hint, it has more to do with processing than ingredients)

and why would whole wheat pasta have more protein?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #30
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
all bread and pasta are no bueno, regardless of wheat or not,

but of course, if you have to make a choice, i would pick the wheat

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #31
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
OP you have yet to post nudes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #32
dabears

Quote:
You're right, but I was talking in terms of nutrients you get from eating pasta vs whole wheat pasta.

This articles sums it up pretty good.
http://greatist.com/health/is-whole-...sta-healthier/
that article is a joke man.

pasta isn't healthy, period. The key ingredient is FLOUR. Same with bread. You get some health benefits from eating whole GRAINS but whole wheat is a stupid marketing trick to make people think they are eating healthier. Your body treats whole wheat and "white" the same. The glycemic index is a load of bullshit for the most part... this coming from someone who used to follow it religiously. There are so many factors to glycemic uptake that a simple chart is preposterous.

Making something less unhealthy doesn't make it HEALTHY. It's just less bad for you... who cares, it is still unhealthy.

And nothing you get from eating "complex carbs" isn't easily obtained from a diet rich in vegetables. Eating whole grains for the vitamin & nutrient benefit is like eating soy for its protein content... there are much better, healthier, and more complete sources.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #33
z00

We're not disagreeing, carbs are needed on workout days. One cannot remove carbs completely. One workout days 10-20% carbs from healthy sources works well. Yes, carbs could come from veggies but having brown rice or sweet potatoes won't make you fat.

You asked about whole wheat vs plain pasta, the article explains the difference.

Quote:
that article is a joke man.

pasta isn't healthy, period. The key ingredient is FLOUR. Same with bread. You get some health benefits from eating whole GRAINS but whole wheat is a stupid marketing trick to make people think they are eating healthier. Your body treats whole wheat and "white" the same. The glycemic index is a load of bullshit for the most part... this coming from someone who used to follow it religiously. There are so many factors to glycemic uptake that a simple chart is preposterous.

Making something less unhealthy doesn't make it HEALTHY. It's just less bad for you... who cares, it is still unhealthy.

And nothing you get from eating "complex carbs" isn't easily obtained from a diet rich in vegetables. Eating whole grains for the vitamin & nutrient benefit is like eating soy for its protein content... there are much better, healthier, and more complete sources.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #34
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
all bread and pasta are no bueno, regardless of wheat or not,

but of course, if you have to make a choice, i would pick the wheat

Speak for yourself! I love me some bread and pasta (..although I don't eat a lot of it besides pizza crust). Maybe your statement would hold merit if an individual has adverse reactions to it, but they have a place in certain dietary regimens.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-14-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Ahem
Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
dabears

Quote:
We're not disagreeing, carbs are needed on workout days. One cannot remove carbs completely. One workout days 10-20% carbs from healthy sources works well. Yes, carbs could come from veggies but having brown rice or sweet potatoes won't make you fat.

You asked about whole wheat vs plain pasta, the article explains the difference.
Re-read what I wrote, then read your response. If it makes sense to you, and you think it was an answer to my post, god bless you simple child.

I was stating that pasta, regardless of its makeup, is not healthy. Same with bread. There is no health benefit to it, and definitely many ill effects.

In regards to bodybuilding however, pasta and bread are great sources of carbohydrates and calories, because they are so refined. Insulin is very anabolic. I eat pasta and bread occassionally on workout days because they are so calorie dense, enabling me to hit 3000 plus calories without resorting to mass fat intake (combined with carbs and a caloric surplus it would be a bad idea)

Eating anything in specific won't make you fat, a caloric surplus will. Hence why pasta and bread can and will make you fat if you are sedentary, they are chock full of calories and insulin spiking carbs that have no purpose in the sedentary human.

Guys like m3inline are very active, and I actually believe he couldn't function without eating the way he does, to a certain extent. If he tried to eat 10-20% carbs he wouldn't do very well imo. I've seen him mad for lackluster performance despite eating two peoples daily food intake by lunch!

And based on your posts, and the fact I know you are trying to gain strength, you aren't getting anywhere close to enough calories. Before posting threads like this, you should probably evaluate your own situation.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #37
217Bimmer
Banned User

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Speak for yourself! I love me some bread and pasta (..although I don't eat a lot of it besides pizza crust). Maybe your statement would hold merit if an individual has adverse reactions to it, but they have a place in certain dietary regimens.
i think you mention eating pizza in every thread
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #38
z00

I was agreeing you with until you posted this.

Not all calories are equal. Even if one is eating below their needed intake there are bad and good calories. There is plenty of studies on the subject. I'm no expert but I have read enough about that area.

Actually eating just needed calories and not working out will make you fat. The body need stimulus to stay fit as it's easier on the body to be fat and not muscular. I don't know where you get this info from.

Yes, people with cardio intense workouts require lots of carbs. More into 40-50% range.

My situation has been good man. Even though I was sick with flu for a week, but I made some good gains after pushing myself in the last 5 weeks. Will post some pics in my progress thread. I was missing few things in my food and workouts were not heavy enough.

Quote:
Re-read what I wrote, then read your response. If it makes sense to you, and you think it was an answer to my post, god bless you simple child.

I was stating that pasta, regardless of its makeup, is not healthy. Same with bread. There is no health benefit to it, and definitely many ill effects.

In regards to bodybuilding however, pasta and bread are great sources of carbohydrates and calories, because they are so refined. Insulin is very anabolic. I eat pasta and bread occassionally on workout days because they are so calorie dense, enabling me to hit 3000 plus calories without resorting to mass fat intake (combined with carbs and a caloric surplus it would be a bad idea)

Eating anything in specific won't make you fat, a caloric surplus will. Hence why pasta and bread can and will make you fat if you are sedentary, they are chock full of calories and insulin spiking carbs that have no purpose in the sedentary human.

Guys like m3inline are very active, and I actually believe he couldn't function without eating the way he does, to a certain extent. If he tried to eat 10-20% carbs he wouldn't do very well imo. I've seen him mad for lackluster performance despite eating two peoples daily food intake by lunch!

And based on your posts, and the fact I know you are trying to gain strength, you aren't getting anywhere close to enough calories. Before posting threads like this, you should probably evaluate your own situation.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #39
dabears

Quote:
I was agreeing you with until you posted this.

Not all calories are equal. Even if one is eating below their needed intake there are bad and good calories. There is plenty of studies on the subject. I'm no expert but I have read enough about that area.

Actually eating just needed calories and not working out will make you fat. The body need stimulus to stay fit as it's easier on the body to be fat and not muscular. I don't know where you get this info from.

Yes, people with cardio intense workouts require lots of carbs. More into 40-50% range.

My situation has been good man. Even though I was sick with flu for a week, but I made some good gains after pushing myself in the last 5 weeks. Will post some pics in my progress thread. I was missing few things in my food and workouts were not heavy enough.

No. You would lose both muscle and fat. I don't know where YOU are getting your info from. Fat is energy, and energy cannot be created nor destroyed. Hence you can only GAIN fat by eating more than your total daily energy expenditure.

And of course there are "good and bad calories".

And you deadlift and squat on a smith machine.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #40
z00

Ok, test it yourself. Don't lift for 2-3 weeks, eat your daily needed calories, notice change to your body.

You're on crack bro. Otherwise, fit people did not have to work out to maintain their nice bodies. Ever heard of maintenance?

So ya on a smith machine. Do your research, it's ok for squats. Not ideal for DL. One more month till the gym gets new racks and BBs. You get hung up on stupid stuff. Even though you're a bit bigger than I'm, we should have a lifting day together to see who is stronger. Maybe even an MMA style fight so I can kick you in the teeth. Just kidding man, you guys take this $hit too seriously. Go have some sex and relax but don't work out on the same day.

Quote:
No. You would lose both muscle and fat. I don't know where YOU are getting your info from. Fat is energy, and energy cannot be created nor destroyed. Hence you can only GAIN fat by eating more than your total daily energy expenditure.

And of course there are "good and bad calories".

And you deadlift and squat on a smith machine.
Closed Thread