E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #361
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Well, since my car is running half decent Engine Wear/Protection from being boost came to mind.

I have been running M1 0w-40 since I had the car at 40k. M1 said they ZDDP in that oil is about 1100 per quart. M1 claims that is plenty for our cars. Upon opening my motor and swapping Cams. I beg to differ. So, I started looking for other ways to boost or get off the shelf Syn Motor Oil that has a Higher Content of ZPPD. Then, I came across this Lucas Oil 10063 Engine Break-In Oil Additive. The bottle is 16oz. and has about 35000+ ZPPD per bottle. Which is Great! To my calculations, I will need about 1-1.5oz per oil change (7-8 quarts).

Mobile 1 0w-40 = 1100 ZPPD
Lucas 1oz = 2188 ZPPD

So if my calculations is right...

1100(7) + 2188 = 9888 ZPPD (7 quarts)
9888/7 = 1412 ZPPD (per quart)

Which to me is acceptable as the motor oil I am using in my M20 (e30) has about 1400 ZPPD and Most Redline Racing Motor Oil has about 1500 ZPPD per quart.

-Anthony

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 01-14-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: grammer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #362
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Well, since my car is running half decent Engine Wear/Protection from being boost came to mind.

I have been running M1 0w-40 since I had the car at 40k. M1 said they ZDDP in that oil is about 1100 per quart. M1 claims that is plenty for our cars. Upon opening my motor and swapping Cams. I beg to differ. So, I started looking for other ways to boost or get off the shelf Syn Motor Oil that has a Higher Content of ZPPD. Then, I came across this Lucas Oil 10063 Engine Break-In Oil Additive. The bottle is 16oz. and has about 35000+ ZPPD per bottle. Which is Great! To my calculations, I will need about 1-1.5oz per oil change (7-8 quarts).

Mobile 1 0w-40 = 1100 ZPPD
Lucas 1oz = 2188 ZPPD

So if my calculations is right...

1100(7) + 2188 = 9888 ZPPD (7 quarts)
9888/7 = 1412 ZPPD (per quart)

Which to me is acceptable as the motor oil I am using in my M20 (e30) has about 1400 ZPPD and Most Redline Racing Motor Oil has about 1500 ZPPD per quart.

-Anthony
If you are interested in a metal conditioner you can add to the oil. Here is a links:

http://www.energyrelease.com/index.p...mart&Itemid=48

The following link is more informative about what is this metal conditioner and how it works:

http://www.appliedhi-perf.com/main/i...al-conditioner

Hope you find it informative.

Last edited by FragNasty; 01-14-2013 at 06:27 PM.
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #363
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Since it warmed up a good bit here in Ms. I start to paint my oil cooler and brackets semi-gloss black to match the rest of the kit.

I started to remove my Oil Cooler for the S/C around to see how I can mount my new engine oil cooler...

Here it is mounted in front of the radiator support and will be behind the sc oil cooler.

Lines routed and fittings are fitted. I will be modifying the AA S/C Oil Cooler Bracket. Similar to the M3 version (AA should just use this bracket for all e46 as it fits and looks much better.)

-Trip

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 01-29-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #364
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Sweet! I'm assuming you got the technik oil cooler kit?
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #365
777eThOd*

My Ride: spins too much
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Since it warmed up a good bit here in Ms. I start to paint my oil cooler and brackets semi-gloss black to match the rest of the kit.

I started to remove my Oil Cooler for the S/C around to see how I can mount my new engine oil cooler...

Here it is mounted in front of the radiator support and will be behind the sc oil cooler.

Lines routed and fittings are fitted. I will be modifying the AA S/C Oil Cooler Bracket. Similar to the M3 version (AA should just use this bracket for all e46 as it fits and looks much better.)

-Trip
No wonder your so quiet on FB these last days... hahahaa.

2007 BMW 335i FBO 6MT - Current
2013 Nissan Nismo 370Z - Current
2004 Non-M Facelift Coupe - SOLD
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
777eThOd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #366
TrippinBimmer

Well my Viton Fluoroelastomer O-rings came in for the Technik/VPD Kit. These are very high quality compare to the BUNA O-rings that is on the kit originally.

I measure everything myself O-Rings to the shaft to make sure these are the right one. I do have a few extra and be willing to sell them if anyone need replacements.

Here they are on the Shaft nice and tight. I getting them done Dust Black. So it will match everything under the hood.

The cap before prep work.

Media Blasted and Custom Hangers...

Finish Product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
Sweet! I'm assuming you got the technik oil cooler kit?
Technik/VPD Kit My kit was banged up! I had to do some TLC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777eThOd* View Post
No wonder your so quiet on FB these last days... hahahaa.
I been online. You just stop iming me

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 02-03-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #367
TrippinBimmer

Food for Thoughts...

Final Compression Ratio on a 10:1 C/R Boosted Car (Stock m54b30)

Compression Ratio 10:1 with 4lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 12.7:1
Compression Ratio 10:1 with 6lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 14.1:1
Compression Ratio 10:1 with 8lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 15.4:1
Compression Ratio 10:1 with 10lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 16.8:1
Compression Ratio 10:1 with 12lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 18.2:1
Compression Ratio 10:1 with 14lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 19.5:1
Compression Ratio 10:1 with 16lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 20.9:1
Compression Ratio 10:1 with 18lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 22.2:1

These are the Final Compression Ratios on a car with 10:1 C/R while under its full boost.

Final Compression Ratio on a 9:1 C/R Boosted Car (Built Boosted m54b30)

Compression Ratio 9:1 with 4lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 11.4:1
Compression Ratio 9:1 with 6lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 12.7:1
Compression Ratio 9:1 with 8lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 13.9:1
Compression Ratio 9:1 with 10lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 15.1:1
Compression Ratio 9:1 with 12lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 16.3:1
Compression Ratio 9:1 with 14lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 17.6:1
Compression Ratio 9:1 with 16lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 18.8:1
Compression Ratio 9:1 with 18lbs of boost will yield a Final C/R of 20.0:1

These are the Final Compression Ratios on a car with 9:1 C/R while under its full boost.

Thanks to Supercharging Performance Handbook for the info.

-Trip

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 02-17-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #368
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
What's the current status on your car? I know your a busy guy but always on here posting, this has to be the longest supercharger build thread i've seen for a non-built motor setup LOL... I know you have cams but what's the deal with your tune? Not hating just wondering
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #369
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
What's the current status on your car? I know your a busy guy but always on here posting, this has to be the longest supercharger build thread i've seen for a non-built motor setup LOL... I know you have cams but what's the deal with your tune? Not hating just wondering
Tom,

You are asking a legitimate question. So no worries, I never plan this install to be this long. Over a Year One issue after another. The car runs fine but I just can't get on it and a cold start issue. (Timing Pulls like crazy after the SAP turns off) I can feel it and its in my datalog as well.

I am about to jack her up tomorrow and tear her down again. This time will be the last time I hope. I will be doing my Transmission VB Mod, M3 Rearend Swap, Custom Driveshaft, Zionsville Radiator and Expansion Tank, Tial 50mm QR BOV, New ATI SuperDamper, 95mm Rotrex Pulley, ARD Underdrive Kit, Apex ARC-8 18'' Wheels, Bosch Motorsports 60lbs Injectors and a few other goodies.

Yes, I did installed some shrick 248/256 FI cams in the car and 3" exhaust with the help of Brady. They are a PITA to install but well worth it. When finish and done. I am expecting about 400 or so WHP. So wish me luck

As far as tuning goes. I have yet have time to send Zak@AA a good Datalog (30mins or so) of the car from a cold start and warmed up operations. Hopefully, AA can get my tune squared off and running correctly. My other option is go with a Stand-A-Lone ECU unit and that will be some fun...

-Anthony
Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #370
Hageee

My Ride: E46 330xiA
Send a message via ICQ to Hageee
Your cold start issues are the INA-HVA-Elements...
Hageee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #371
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
good luck mAn, hope you get it WOT soon
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #372
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageee View Post
Your cold start issues are the INA-HVA-Elements...
The idle speed doesn't change or have any tapping noises. Just the timing is pulled and advanced that make the engine shake alittle. (Can feel in cabin) goes away about 1-2mins after starting the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
good luck mAn, hope you get it WOT soon
Thanks
-Trip

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 02-20-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #373
Krystian_E46

My Ride: E46 M3,AA3 ZHP,S544D
Send a message via AIM to Krystian_E46 Send a message via Skype™ to Krystian_E46
Anthony I just read all of this all I have to say is You sir are crazy... I ordered few new parts for my boosted ZHP. Also have few questions but will message you on FB ! Keep up the excellent work

Owner of many E46's :)
[Currently own 2004 M3, 2005 AA 2.5 Kit ZHP(SOLD), S54 Sedan, 01 330ci and 1 Coupe 1 Sedan 1 E46 M3 parts cars]

Krystian_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #374
TrippinBimmer

I was able to squeeze in some work from Babysitting, Working for my Parents, School and my own business. Been very heck-it lately.

I was able to removed the ATI Damper that I sold to Solo-///M and shipped that out Should get it soon bro!!!

I was able to remove my OEM Radiator and Cooling System for BigJae1976. I can't wait for my new RAD and Expansion Tank!!!

During this time, I also Removed and Installed my Under Drive Pulley Kit from ARD.

Some of you guys might say why am I doing this. Well, the issue is Belt Slipping before hitting full boost. I been going through belts like no tomorrow. So to fix that I am jumping up to a 95mm S/C Pulley and Oversize ATI Damper with an UnderDrive Pulley Kit. I am not to worried about the Alternator since its has a regulator built on and will adj itself accordingly. Next on my thing to do list is remove the Rear ZHP Diff before the week is over. And start on my M3 LSD RearEnd Swap.

Also, some tech info. For people who wanna do some Maintenance on the AA S/C Kit. There are 2 Toyota Timing Belt Pulleys on this kit. Made by KOYO (Toyota OEM Manufacturer). They are really hard to find if you don't know the part number. So I helped you guys out. Listed below are the interchangeable part number for this pulley

CROSS REFERENCE:
024-1006 BECK/ARNLEY
13503-63011 TOYOTA
13503-63021 TOYOTA
13503-70040 TOYOTA
57TB3705 NSK
PU355816RR9D KOYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian_E46 View Post
Anthony I just read all of this all I have to say is You sir are crazy... I ordered few new parts for my boosted ZHP. Also have few questions but will message you on FB ! Keep up the excellent work
Thanks

-Trip

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 02-21-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361494261
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #375
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian_E46 View Post
Anthony I just read all of this all I have to say is You sir are crazy...
Agreed.

But...he makes me feel sane.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #376
Andrew@Activeautowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: 135 Fbo+meth & E85
Damn you have been busy!

Email:AFish@ActiveAutowerke.com |Phone:305-233-9300 Ext:227 |Web: www.ActiveAutowerke.com

Authorized Dealer Of | Stop Tech | Brembo | KW Suspensions | Jrz Suspensions | BC Wheels | BC Suspensions | Strasse Forged Wheels | Michelin Tires
Andrew@Activeautowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #377
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
You do good work, sir. Love seeing updates. You're going to make the Evo seem slow.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #378
AvS

My Ride: 04 zhp AA II
Great info on toyota pulleys! Thanx man!! I need to replace mines...they squeel sometimes.
Question: I saw in one vid ur maf and air filter are right by blower...how's that working? Spoke with Active, they said better to keep em down in bumper, i'd love to relocate but have my doubts...will it affect the tune?
Keep up awesome work
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #379
TrippinBimmer

Got some pics of one of my Future Mod. Can't wait for it to arrive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Agreed.

But...he makes me feel sane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@Activeautowerke View Post
Damn you have been busy!
Yep, trying to get this car running right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
You do good work, sir. Love seeing updates. You're going to make the Evo seem slow.
Hopefully, I am on my last leg on this one bro...(Kinda wish, I bought the TT kit atm...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvS View Post
Great info on toyota pulleys! Thanx man!! I need to replace mines...they squeel sometimes.
Question: I saw in one vid ur maf and air filter are right by blower...how's that working? Spoke with Active, they said better to keep em down in bumper, i'd love to relocate but have my doubts...will it affect the tune?
Keep up awesome work
No problem. Glad you have some use for this info. To be honest bro. With the MAF down in the bumper or up and behind the headlight my car runs the same. If AA tells you to leave it where it is then leave it...

-Trip
Old 02-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #380
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Yup...just waiting on your stuff to get here.

You WILL curse the day you put this zionsville unit in. It makes working on anything in front of the engine a total whore. That ATI damper you just removed? You would have had to take out the radiator. I warned you...

At least your coolant will never get old.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote