E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #41
chilone

My Ride: 04 330xi, 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
The intent of a forum discussion is to have a discussion. All contributors have something to offer and should be recognized as where they're coming from.
This and the rest of your post was very well put as are most of your posts that I've seen. Like I said, I'm new here and have learned a lot so far (mostly DIY tips) and am diggin' it. I know from being a long term poster in other various online forums, vets tend to be wary and sometimes aggressive towards newbies so I TRIED to be humble in my posting so as not to rattle anyone's cage but there's always someone that gets their feathers ruffled lol.
chilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #42
chilone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyer View Post
chilone, I also have over 30 years of automotive experience (over 23 years of it as the Lead Prototype and Tooling Developer for a major OE supplier to the likes of GM, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, AM General, as well as Peterbuilt, Kenworth, Mack, just to name a few (I'm one of the front lines guys responsible for GM to have a missing year Corvette).
Nice! Lol I always wondered about that 'Vette thing. I use that to goof on people sometimes, kinda like asking for a water pump for a 1972 VW bug :]

I definitely am totally into learning from others, in fact, the older I get the more I realize how much more I need and want to learn. I don't mind getting "whacked" by someone if it's legit.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #43
bikesandcars

My Ride: 2002 325xi-sport pkg
this whole post is aggravating... from Kubica's stupid comment to now... not much value I'm afraid

Last edited by bikesandcars; 01-14-2013 at 01:50 PM.
bikesandcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #44
chilone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
this whole post is aggravating... from Kubica's stupid comment to now... not much value I'm afraid
Hmmm. I found a pretty good amount of informative stuff including yours about the Hawk pads.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #45
bikesandcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilone View Post
Hmmm. I found a pretty good amount of informative stuff including yours about the Hawk pads.
Thanks, I appreciate that and no disrecpect... I hope it proves useful for folks.. I was just catching up with the back and forth and I guess I let it aggravate me. The parts about what we all do for a living and general statements detracting from actual reviews.

follow-on notes regarding my HPS installation. For the first time ever I did not use Hawk's recommended bedding procedure and I paid the price for the first 200 miles. The friction levels are now becoming quite good, but it took some time. It's important to follow their bedding instructions to avoid this uncomfortable period. The pedal feel is great.. very easy to modulate. Still need to push down to stop, but the harder you step the harder it brakes. I prefer that to "grabby". I haven't given it the "oh crap" test yet because I have things in my car I care about not-breaking.

Everything is a compromise in Brakes... quality of construction aside, you can't get high mileage, low dust, high torque, maximum fade resistance and high initial bite from the same pad... you just need to choose what works best for you.

If we would review pads that way it would be more helpful.

HPS = high quality, very low dust, very high mileage, good fade resistance, standard initial bite, very linear progression, medium torque.

Last edited by bikesandcars; 01-14-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #46
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
I really like Hawk brake pads.

I got my rotors from online, I think the fronts were eibach and the backs were some generic type brand... front rotors are much more important.

You can get quality rotors from NAPA, autozone, etc if you get their better brand
Lol.

Quote:
In brake pads you definately get what you pay for. All the marketing hype in the world doesn't matter... the best brand at Napa / autozone doesn't compare to the folks that make brakes for racecars.
Double Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyer View Post
I have full ceramic pads on both my '03 325xi and on my '03 330xi sport with cross-drilled rotors and stainless steel brake lines
That has to be the worst brake setup ever. Lol.

Quote:
Ahahahaha. Eibach rotors. Lol. Generic rear rotors. Lol. The only one that looks stupid around here is you.

Quote:
HPS = high quality, very low dust, very high mileage, good fade resistance, standard initial bite, very linear progression, medium torque.
My review of the HPS is low quality, poor fade resistance, awful modulation- all around poor performer. Everybody likes Performance Friction or EBC Red over Hawk.

Find a quiet pad that stops quicker than Performance Friction Z if you want to add something useful. I've tried all your pads and the PF work better. Lot's of whining in this thread.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #47
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #48
bikesandcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Lol.

Double LOL
Ooooh nooooo!!!! not double LOL... I'm going straight over triple lol and triple DOG lol ya!

I provide a review, you troll...good for you