E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Goondaddy

My Ride: 2002 325ci
OEM LED tailights and using resistors

Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience with fitting OEM tailights using just resistor packs (that came with Eagle Eyes for example)?

I've had my Eagle Eye tailights for 3 years now, and it's always worked fine, but prefer to upgrade to OEM for quality and interior fitment reasons.

Am I able to avoid doing the LCM retrofit (it's a lot of arsing around for my late-2001 car) and do a straight swap, using the resistors that came with the Eagle Eyes?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Goondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
afstud

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6-speed
with the OEM led tail lights your going to need the wiring harness kit to even make them even light up, and yea i would think just using wire taps to the blinker and brake lights would make them not throw errors or rapid blinker, i would try it and see how it goes.

heres a link for the harness
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...3650/ES161762/

Last edited by afstud; 01-14-2013 at 05:40 PM.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Goondaddy

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Oh good stuff! I didn't know this existed. Thanks for that.

Does anyone else have any insight into this?
Goondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
I'm using the EE resitor packs with OEM LED tails.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Just get BMW Scanner 1.4.0 for $32 and code the cold/warm check to off, this is what they do on the cars with factory LED's.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Just get BMW Scanner 1.4.0 for $32 and code the cold/warm check to off, this is what they do on the cars with factory LED's.
Not exactly. The cold/warm checks are disabled, but the other difference is that the LEDs are controlled via PWM rather than simply sending a lower voltage. If you look at a car with factory LEDs or properly retrofitted LEDs and compared it with one that uses resistors or simply disabled cold/warm checks, you'll notice the latter has a slight flicker.

The best way to do an LED retrofit is to add "+LEDH" to your vehicle order and then recode the LSZ with a blank FSW_PSW.MAN. The +LEDH in the vehicle order will tell the system to code the car for an LED retrofit.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
If you look at a car with factory LEDs or properly retrofitted LEDs and compared it with one that uses resistors or simply disabled cold/warm checks, you'll notice the latter has a slight flicker.
This is true, and I took a video before and after the coding. It's quite noticeable.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I had OEM LED tail lamps for over 5 years installed by me with resistors(not EE) on my 2000 323Ci. I had to do this before any aftermarket LEDs were ever made. I was one of the first in the USA to do this back in the day. Search the Lighting Forum for the thread made by Wendant, he pioneer the way.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #9
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
I have used a combination of power resistors, capacitors and relay to overcome the flickering/bulb-out warning on the OEM Led tails. This was 4 years ago, until I was able to do it the proper way with a new LCM. Cars pre- 09/01 can't have the installed LCM recoded.

If a new LCM was not that expensive, I would have gone the recode route without second thought. I was able however to purchase a NEW LCM over ebay for $50 which I had it coded with Autologic for the LED. No issues at all.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I have used a combination of power resistors, capacitors and relay to overcome the flickering/bulb-out warning on the OEM Led tails. This was 4 years ago, until I was able to do it the proper way with a new LCM. Cars pre- 09/01 can't have the installed LCM recoded.

If a new LCM was not that expensive, I would have gone the recode route without second thought. I was able however to purchase a NEW LCM over ebay for $50 which I had it coded with Autologic for the LED. No issues at all.
^this!

But I removed that setup after finding on long trips the resistors and heatsink was heating to a point where I found it unsafe, thus using the EE resitor packs which seem to dissipate heat/power better as they don't heat up.

PS. it was inside a IP6 rated case, but the outside of the case started showing signs of melting
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post

Duuuuude holy schnit! I bet you could roast marshmallows with that setup.

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote