E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
If those aren't there, then they aren't OEM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #22
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
those definitely do not appear to be OE/OEM. BMW always puts quality headlights into their cars at the factory

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #23
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
Those look like the shitty projector46 that umnitza and everyone else sells.
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #24
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
every headlight has adjustment knobs. Your issues aren't to do with adjustment. They are to do with, most likely, an incorrectly installed set of bulbs inside your housing. It's possible someone put in H7 bulbs into your D2S housing (most 2004-2006 cars have Xenons).
Just take some more photos with the hood open, and let us assist you - or you can email to info@umnitza.com
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #25
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Photos

I finally have some photos. Sorry for the delay....it's been a long week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver headlight front.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	485960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger side front.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	485961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver headlight.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	485962   Click image for larger version

Name:	driver side1a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	485963  

Name:	driver side1b.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	485964   Click image for larger version

Name:	driver side.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	485965   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	485966   Click image for larger version

Name:	passenger headlight.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	485967  

Name:	Passenger side1b.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	485969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger side.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	485971  
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #26
WDE46

Dude, you have both those adjustment screws. You show them in several pictures. Look harder. Those are definitely OEM.

I see a label that says D2S or H7 so make sure that is the bulb that was installed.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Left side is supposed to be lower as per factory settings to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. Google or the owners manual will show this.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I was just going to same thing.

Your headlights look like pretty good quality, I cannot read the top lettering very well, but the yellow tags I believe are the warning labels for the HID ballast output??

I also see at least 1 adjustment screw in the pictures as well, they are the hex socket round screws neat the half moon cut out in your core support.

DO NOT TRY TO ADJUST THESE LIGHTS YET. Lets see the pattern first.

Also do your lights dip and then raise back up at night when you start the car?

Take a picture of your light pattern from inside the drivers seat, at night with your lights shining on a flat wall with the car 25 feet back or so.

This will show the upper level cut off of the lights.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but I recall 2006 coupes if they have factory HID they had Active Bi-Xenon's. Also turn your high beams on at night and tell us if the inner lights turn on or now.

Bi-Xenon's only the outer lights are on when the high beams on turned on. The inner halogen lights are only for "Flash To Pass".

There were also issues with some of the reflectors breaking down and killing the light output and possibly the pattern as well. You can search and find more info on this.

Also if you look VERY carefully around the metal rim of the low beam bulbs you should be able to read something like Bi-Xenon or something should be cast into the metal trim.

You really need a light pattern shot from 25-30 feet back against a flat wall.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 01-14-2013 at 08:23 AM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #29
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Dude, you have both those adjustment screws. You show them in several pictures. Look harder. Those are definitely OEM.

I see a label that says D2S or H7 so make sure that is the bulb that was installed.
I know/see the adj screw for the up/down adj. Where would the side-to-side adj screw be in relation to that (I feel like such a noob)?

I can confirm H7s are installed. here is a pic of what's in there now (bulbs in pkg are original bulbs).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	H7 Bulbs.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	485995  

Last edited by HacksawMark; 01-14-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: neglected to respond to 1st comment about screws
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #30
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post

Your headlights look like pretty good quality, I cannot read the top lettering very well, but the yellow tags I believe are the warning labels for the HID ballast output??

I also see at least 1 adjustment screw in the pictures as well, they are the hex socket round screws neat the half moon cut out in your core support.

Take a picture of your light pattern from inside the drivers seat, at night with your lights shining on a flat wall with the car 25 feet back or so.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but I recall 2006 coupes if they have factory HID they had Active Bi-Xenon's. Also turn your high beams on at night and tell us if the inner lights turn on or now.

Bi-Xenon's only the outer lights are on when the high beams on turned on. The inner halogen lights are only for "Flash To Pass".

There were also issues with some of the reflectors breaking down and killing the light output and possibly the pattern as well. You can search and find more info on this.

Also if you look VERY carefully around the metal rim of the low beam bulbs you should be able to read something like Bi-Xenon or something should be cast into the metal trim.

Regarding the yellow tags; how can I confirm they are for HID output? I'm aware of the adjustment screw you're speaking of. That is for the up/down adjustment. The lights do not dip when turned on so don't think they're Bi-Xenons. I will take additional photos at the earliest opportunity (hopefully this evening). I would do it now (since it's still dark out) but my driveway is not level with the road when I back up that far.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
Left side is supposed to be lower as per factory settings to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. Google or the owners manual will show this.

I'm aware of that. I raised the drivers side as I was sick-n-tired of being able to see better at night with my '05 Civic Hybrid which have standard halogen bulbs. Since the adjustment, no one has flashed their high beams at me probably due to the friggin hole in the headlight pattern.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #32
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
After correcting whatever physical issues you may have with your lighting components,you can have someone with NCSexpert code your lcm to allow high,low,flash to pass and fogs on all at the same time.It gives off a wall of light as if the sun itself was mounted on your grills. It makes night time back road driving a whole new experience.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #33
Cyanide72

My Ride: 2002 325i
I'm just gonna drop in and compliment your near spotless engine bay.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #34
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide72 View Post
Hey thanks for noticing!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #35
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
Regarding the yellow tags; how can I confirm they are for HID output? I'm aware of the adjustment screw you're speaking of. That is for the up/down adjustment. The lights do not dip when turned on so don't think they're Bi-Xenons. I will take additional photos at the earliest opportunity (hopefully this evening). I would do it now (since it's still dark out) but my driveway is not level with the road when I back up that far.
You don't have Xenons. The facelift coupes all came with lights that look the same from the outside (minus the Xenon lettering). Yours are halogens just like mine. Those quality bulbs that you bought as well so that is probably not the issue. Gimme one minute and I'll point out the adjuster screws.

+1 on the engine bay. That's very clean.

Edit: Here are the adjuster locations

Last edited by WDE46; 01-15-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #36
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You don't have Xenons. The facelift coupes all came with lights that look the same from the outside (minus the Xenon lettering). Yours are halogens just like mine. Those quality bulbs that you bought as well so that is probably not the issue. Gimme one minute and I'll point out the adjuster screws.

+1 on the engine bay. That's very clean.

Edit: Here are the adjuster locations
So they're right in front of me and I didn't notice?! This confirms it; I am a noob. Many thanks for pointing that out and for the compliment!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #37
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide72 View Post
Doesn't anyone who takes pride in their vehicle keep it in that condition? BTW, well done.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #38
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Doesn't anyone who takes pride in their vehicle keep it in that condition? BTW, well done.
I would think that Mango probably does as well as some others on this site. It's easy to keep up really. I got it in this condition when I bought it and whenever I check my oil, I always have an extra rag or paper towel in case there's a spot or two to wipe up. So far no leaks, just a little dirty water spray from the all the rain we've been getting. Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited by HacksawMark; 01-16-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #39
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
I enjoy working on my cars because I keep the engine bay and underside clean - I can work on most things without getting dirty.