E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #1941
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
Thanks for the tip on the BT, I'll try that tomorrow.

I'll also play more with the GPS, it was ok in my city going to school to pick my son but I didn't go very fast so perhaps the correction between kts and kph would have been unnoticed...

More to come tomorrow.
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #1942
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflail View Post
I concur with PainBreak regarding the boot times and android stability.

One thing I've noticed is that the EQ settings on the radio side have no effect on the audio outputted from the android side. When listening to audio on the android side it only comes out of the front right and left speakers. Am I missing some setting on the android side to control this?
On the "radio" side go to the settings menu, by clicking the gear icon and find the gps-music setting and turn it to "off." With that setting on, the Android side only comes out of the front, and the radio comes out of the back, and plays over the top of the android side. Turning that setting to off also makes the EQ settings and loud setting apply to the android side as well.

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-11-2013 at 12:29 PM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #1943
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
Ok, installed mine today but didn't have time for tests.

1) No sound whatsoever, I just used the long cable to connect to the back of the car, so the BM54 module is unplugged and unused. Am I missing something there ? I have the connector with all the RCA plugs connected but nothing plugged to the RCA wires.
Not sure here. Sounds like you don't have any audio cables connected, but I don't have the factory navigation, so I didn't use a long cable.
2) I can't get DTV to scan for channels[/b]
No idea... I'm in the US, so we have ATSC rendering this part useless.
3) GPS works perfectly, Igo runs smoothly, it does not remember the settings though.
Try using Google Navigation. Also, GPS Test should come pre-loaded. Run GPS Test, and drive around. A box on the right will tell you your current speed. It will be wrong, likely 1.825x your actual speed
4) I can't get the radio BT to go into search mode to connect to my phone.
It should always be in available mode. Use your phone to connect to it, instead. It will show up as "Car Kit" The password is either 1234 or 0000.
I'll play with it more tomorrow and report back
Best of luck

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-11-2013 at 04:47 PM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #1944
jchuillier

ok, 1 at a time

So for the audio thing do you connect the rca wires coming out of the unit (with the white connector) to the car or are they just left dangling there ? I understand that you have a front BMW radio system but do you have like 27 RCA inputs on the BMW system to connect the RCA cables to ?

Basically in my standard BMW system unit I have the big navigation box in the front with 1 blue and 1 white connector linked to a loom which is going back and plugged partly in the BM54 radio module and partly in the amplifier (the loom splits when arriving in the trunk).

I understand the "sound" from the BM54 radio which sits in the trunk does not need to come forward in the navigation/display unit but the sound from the front CD (because there is also the CD charger in the back) does go from the big front box (navi+cd) to the back and the amp

So my theory is to use the existing BMW loom between front and read to send the sound from the to the amp, right ?

Or do I need Charles to send me a "front RCA to back amp" long cable ?

On the black enco connector which plugs into the 046 I have 16 wires with 2 green, 2 brown, 2 purple and 2 white so for me it should match the 4 channels outputs (FR, FL, RR and RL) but still no sound....weird...

One possible explanation is that I have a single blue wire with an "AMP CTRL" label on it, what is it supposed to do ? I only had the user manual but no installation manual...

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 AM   #1945
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
Folks one question do the Enco unit(s) come with a new bracket to install like the Dynavin units do or do they slide straight into the OEM bracket harness?
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #1946
jchuillier

It goes straight on...

So an update on my situation...

1) BT : Solved (thanks for the tips on BT being always in discovery mode)
2) GPS : Funny, the GPS test android app gives me the good speed (kph), the Igo app gives me knots or mph, something shitty anyway, I need to play more with IGO settings before being sure about the problem.
3) Sound, still NOTHING, can you guys who have installed one try to remember what you've done ? Did you use the white connector with the RCA plugs or did you use the black ISO connector ?

Thanks

Last edited by jchuillier; 01-14-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #1947
CTRob

Quote:
It goes straight on...
Did you have OEM Nav with your car already?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #1948
jchuillier

Yep, I have the big system with the big front navi screen and all the boxes in the back, and I have no sound....
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #1949
Chayan

My Ride: 330i 04
Quote:
ok, 1 at a time

So for the audio thing do you connect the rca wires coming out of the unit (with the white connector) to the car or are they just left dangling there ? I understand that you have a front BMW radio system but do you have like 27 RCA inputs on the BMW system to connect the RCA cables to ?

Basically in my standard BMW system unit I have the big navigation box in the front with 1 blue and 1 white connector linked to a loom which is going back and plugged partly in the BM54 radio module and partly in the amplifier (the loom splits when arriving in the trunk).

I understand the "sound" from the BM54 radio which sits in the trunk does not need to come forward in the navigation/display unit but the sound from the front CD (because there is also the CD charger in the back) does go from the big front box (navi+cd) to the back and the amp

So my theory is to use the existing BMW loom between front and read to send the sound from the to the amp, right ?

Or do I need Charles to send me a "front RCA to back amp" long cable ?

On the black enco connector which plugs into the 046 I have 16 wires with 2 green, 2 brown, 2 purple and 2 white so for me it should match the 4 channels outputs (FR, FL, RR and RL) but still no sound....weird...

One possible explanation is that I have a single blue wire with an "AMP CTRL" label on it, what is it supposed to do ? I only had the user manual but no installation manual...

Thanks
Quote:
Yep, I have the big system with the big front navi screen and all the boxes in the back, and I have no sound....

If you have the OEM navigation you need the Fakra cable to send the sound from the back amp to the front. Look for installation of the Dynavin system, the procedure is pretty same.

http://lemalife.wordpress.com/2010/1...em-navigation/

Usually you don't need to use any RCA cables (if stock audio) of the unit, just the black connectors.

I guess you can buy the cable from Enco or any other suppliers who sales dynavin system, don't know which is cheaper...

Bonne chance...

Last edited by Chayan; 01-14-2013 at 06:53 AM. Reason: misspelled Fakra
Chayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #1950
CTRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayan View Post
If you have the OEM navigation you need the Fraka cable to send the sound from the back amp to the front. Look for installation of the Dynavin system, the procedure is pretty same.

http://lemalife.wordpress.com/2010/1...em-navigation/

I guess you can buy the cable from Enco or any other suppliers who sales dynavin system, don't know which is cheaper...

Bonne chance...
Is the Fakra same cable used for the Dynavin the same as the cable used for the Enco systems I.E. if I have a Dynavin installed currently using the Fakra cable to the boot and I install a new Enco system will I be able to use the existing Fakra cable already laid down in my car that the Dynavin uses?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #1951
Chayan

My Ride: 330i 04
I don't own a dynavin or enco system, I was on the market a year ago and lost interest because of the sound "too loud" problem with HK speaker owners. I may buy a enco if the ICS is stable and someone find a way to root it.

From my understanding, (after having read all the posts on dynavin/enco thread) the Fakra cable is just a extension from the back to the front so the OEM Navi installed car would have the same connectors has the cars with Non-oem Navi. At the end the connectors must be same since it's the same unit for oem and non-oem car.
Chayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #1952
jchuillier

I have the enco long cable which is supposed to be a fakra... But still no sound....if 1 loudspeaker cable was cut i would still have some sound through another speaker....weird
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #1953
CTRob

Quote:
I have the enco long cable which is supposed to be a fakra... But still no sound....if 1 loudspeaker cable was cut i would still have some sound through another speaker....weird
So the long cable comes with the Enco units? You didn't have to purchase it seperately?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #1954
jchuillier

Got it from them for 20
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #1955
CTRob

Quote:
Got it from them for 20
Sound cheers pal.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #1956
jchuillier

Yes but I have no sound
Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #1957
CTRob

@ Jchuillier or anyone else using the newer system.

Any update on the GPS issues reporting incorrectly?
Are we definite that all GPS software will work incorrectly presently or is it just an issue with Google Maps?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #1958
jchuillier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
@ Jchuillier or anyone else using the newer system.

Any update on the GPS issues reporting incorrectly?
Are we definite that all GPS software will work incorrectly presently or is it just an issue with Google Maps?
It's weird because as I said the GPS TEST app reports the speed correctly while Igo doesn't....

So for me it's a software issue that can be fixed in Igo, to be honest I've played much more on the sound issue than on the GPS speed....
Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #1959
jchuillier

So here's my system so that people can see what the problem is...

The back of the 046 unit connected to the long "fakra" cable going back to the amp in the trunk.

The mysterious blue wires coming out of the unit with an "ANT" label on the right (coming out of the 046) and a "AMP CTRL" label on the left and going back to the trunk of the car, I also have these on the short cable that painbreak has used for the front connexion...do you need to connect them together ?

Now we're in the trunk of the car with the back part of the long "fakra" cable connecting where the BM54 radio module was...you can see the blue wire which I could connect to the "ant" connector on the front.

A global view of the boxes in the trunk with the GPS drive, the CD charger, they are still both connected, perhaps I should disconnect them from the loom ?

Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #1960
CTRob

Quote:
It's weird because as I said the GPS TEST app reports the speed correctly while Igo doesn't....

So for me it's a software issue that can be fixed in Igo, to be honest I've played much more on the sound issue than on the GPS speed....
I can understand that mate and I'm sorry I'm unable to help you as I haven't purchased the unit yet, I do hope you get it sorted soon though

I guess for me the one thing that is stopping me from purchasing the unit is the GPS issue and whether the unit can be rooted or not.

I use the GPS navigation quite a lot (Googe maps) so it's something I'd really like to work