E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 363 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #2881
vartman

My Ride: BMW M3 2003 SMG2
SD bootable card replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc View Post
I did that. The device is working now
Glad to help

And anyone else having problems making a SD card to flash the ROM... the other trick is to download one of the many little bootable disk makers such as:
Active@boot disk
Flashboot

I had tried everything like Fdisk, ErasUS etc but nothing worked until i made it bootable and active.

And now Wifi mysteriously works with iPhone5... you just have to turn Personal Hotspot on just before you turn the Dynavin unit on.

FINALLY i am happy with my unit...

Reverse camera = working
MP3 player = Working
Navigon = Working.. (better than Co-pilot and Igo IMHO... i have all 3.)
M3Evolution and support is great. New ROM coming out real soon apparently.
TV tuner = working... but never use it

It takes a lot of time and research but even an idiot like me can finally work this sh*t out.

Last edited by vartman; 11-29-2012 at 04:23 PM.
vartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #2882
rev4turbomonster

My Ride: toyota
Hi Guys,

I am tearing my hair out here please help if you can I know this is the info thread but can not find what I need when I have searched if I have missed it please point me in the right direction.

Problem 1: I have replaced the wifi dongle as the one that can with the unit fell to bits last time I took the unit out. Not sure why but needed to be replaced. I searched for the dongle I needed and after reading was told the dlink dwa 140 would work so purchased one. I still keep getting the error that it can not search networks and then the unit turns the wifi off. This is with the wifi dongle plugged directly into the gps usb port and also through the belkin usb hub I have which works and operated bluetooth. I need to get the wifi working for installing the copilot voices without this I can not install my sat nav which was the main reason for buying the unit!! I have tried both the m3 revolution rom and also the stock firmware from dynavin and have the same results. Have also tried a couple of belkin dongles with no joy.

Problem 2: I bought a bluetooth obd2 reader with the hope of getting torque to function on the dynavin as it does on my phone. However when I install torque to the dynavin and pair the adapter everytime I launch torque it auto closes before I can set it up to utilise the obd reader I have. It is not the adapter as this works with my phone. I also do not think it is the bluetooth as this pairs with the adapter but does not let me connect to it which is the same as my phone which will only connect to the reader when the torque app is launched.

If I can get these functions working I will be very happy again as the unit will do everything that I want it to but without fixing these it is useless.

Please help me I can't afford to lose anymore hair and as I say I am tearing it out.

Many thanks

Matt
rev4turbomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #2883
The last emperor

My Ride: 03 BMW e46
Does the d95 unit come with android system? Sorry I don't know too much about this
Old 12-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #2884
jwbeck17

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Do I just have a bad D99 Android unit? Bought an e46 that had it installed, but it was flaky:
- Could only get a wifi signal about once out of every 10 times using the unit
- Screen flickers at times
- Settings like wallpapers and stuff seem to disappear from time to time
- No connections for Aux, iPod, RCA

To fix I tried the following:
- Hard reset the unit using the front reset button
- Flashed the Android ROM with the latest ROM from the Dynavin site
- Pulled out the unit and reinstalled the Belkin N Wireless USB dongle
- Noticed In and Out connectors for RCA/Aux connections were not connected in the back (missing) and that there was nothing plugged into iPod connection (unit only had USB)

Lastly, just now the Micro SD card drive is not holding the cards anymore, so they are just getting pushed back out.

Any thoughts on this or is this a loss?
jwbeck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #2885
Kukanuka81

My Ride: 02 E46 M3 conv.
Send a message via ICQ to Kukanuka81
Anyone in the NJ area that can help me with the Android unit?
Kukanuka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #2886
Kukanuka81

My Ride: 02 E46 M3 conv.
Send a message via ICQ to Kukanuka81
Anyone in the NJ area that can help me with the Android unit.
Kukanuka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #2887
x13atma17x

My Ride: E46 323i & MK6 Jetta
Hi Jeff & fellow fanatics,

Turned on the unit today (D99+ Android) and for some reason I started getting this messages...I also noticed that my Android Market went back to its old version rather than the newer logo/version.

Even with a good internet/hotspot connection, it wont update to the latest Android Market like it did when it was 1st turned on...

Any input on what had happened??

1st the DYNAVIN logo stays longer than usual (not sure if this is a factor)

Then I get these messages...

Notice how the Android Market went back to the older version

Last edited by x13atma17x; 01-11-2013 at 04:19 PM.
x13atma17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #2888
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
looks like the dreaded "force close issue"......

Reinstall the android ROM to get back to square one, sign back into the market to get all your apps back and anytime you are asked make sure you set the apps to NOT automatically update. If they are updating in the background when you turn the unit off it can cause corruptions in the ROM and the result is the issues you are having.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #2889
x13atma17x

Jeff do you have an instruction(s) I can follow on how to "reinstall the android ROM"? I just want to make sure I do it right rather then making things worst should I make a mistake.

Well noted on NOT doing an automatic update, I think you mentioned that to me during the fist few days of installing the unit

Last edited by x13atma17x; 01-11-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #2890
x13atma17x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
looks like the dreaded "force close issue"......
Sucks, Its only been 10days since I had this installed

Last edited by x13atma17x; 01-11-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #2891
J&T Distributing

it could also be some app you installed, hard to say, but its been our experience that keeping the OS and the apps on a tight leash seems to keep things stable. There are instructions on my website, email me if you have any trouble with it, lets not clutter up the thread.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #2892
x13atma17x

^^noted, please chekck your e-mail

Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #2893
jwbeck17

Hi everyone. I've had a lot of challenges getting my Android unit to work right, but I think I have all the elements functional now, just not all the time. There are some starts where android boots beautifully and wifi connects to my hotspot and my android bluetooth is on. But then there are times that it doesn't happen, and my wifi can't connect no matter what I do, and my bluetooth can't turn on, etc.

I suspect that the unit is very finicky about how it starts up and shuts down. My question is, what is the best process to start up Android on the Dynavin? And just as important, what is the best process to shut it down?

Example:

Startup:
- turn on hotspot on cell phone as you are getting in car
- turn on car
- turn on dynavin
- wait until dynavin side has fully booted
- press Navi
- wait approximately 1 min after android boot completion to confirm wifi, bluetooth and GPS connections

Shutdown:
- End apps and go to home screen
- hold power button for 3 secs to shut down unit
- wait 15 secs and turn off vehicle

These are not the perfect steps, but give you an idea of what I am thinking. Any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #2894
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbeck17 View Post
Hi everyone. I've had a lot of challenges getting my Android unit to work right, but I think I have all the elements functional now, just not all the time. There are some starts where android boots beautifully and wifi connects to my hotspot and my android bluetooth is on. But then there are times that it doesn't happen, and my wifi can't connect no matter what I do, and my bluetooth can't turn on, etc.

I suspect that the unit is very finicky about how it starts up and shuts down. My question is, what is the best process to start up Android on the Dynavin? And just as important, what is the best process to shut it down?

Example:

Startup:
- turn on car
- turn on dynavin
- press Navi
- wait approximately 1 min after android boot completion to confirm wifi, bluetooth and GPS connections

Shutdown:

These are not the perfect steps, but give you an idea of what I am thinking. Any suggestions?
Mine still isn't working/ never worked... Sucks!

Sent from my HTC One V using Bimmer App

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #2895
jwbeck17

It looks like if you turn off the car with the unit on and in android mode, the next start up after restarting the car will start in Dynavin mode as expected, and choosing NAVI will reboot the android side. Will retest, but it sounds like this is an option for starting with fresh settings.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #2896
jwbeck17

Startup/Shutdown Update

So far today's tests have worked pretty well with only one failed connection out of quite a few runs. I've refined my startup and shutdown process as the following:

Startup:
- turn on car
- if Dynavin not turned on, turn on Dynavin
- press Navi

Shutdown:
- Shut off vehicle with Android screen at home page

At next car start Dynavin will start with car, but will need to be switched to Android as directed.

This should help the wifi sign-on from the Dynavin, however a lot depends on your hotspot.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #2897
jwbeck17

iPhone Hotspot Issues

Just in case any of you iPhone users run into the issue of an inability to connect the Dynavin to your iPhone hotspot, or you connect and lose the connection, the problem may be with your phone, not the Dynavin.

Apple has designed a 90-second discoverability period once the hotspot on the iPhone is turned on. If you do not connect during that time and your phone goes to sleep or you go to another screen on your iPhone, your iPhone will not put the hotspot in discover mode. This is done as a security element and a battery saver, but is not always convenient.

Apple is aware of this issue (per board comments) but may or may not be fixing it. However, there is a solution that has worked for me.

In order to keep the hotspot in discovery mode and keep the connection, you need to make sure that your phone is on your Hotspot page in Settings, AND THAT PAGE MUST STAY ON AND NOT GO TO SLEEP WHILE USING THE CONNECTION. If you simply switch the Auto-Lock in Settings>General to Never, your phone will not go to sleep automatically. Once you are on the hotspot page of Settings, your phone will not go to sleep and your Dynavin will have enough time to connect. (You can leave the switch set to On, as it will only stay on indefinitely if you stay on the hotspot page.) The down side is that you will need to push the power button quickly to turn off when not in use. However, for me that is an agreeable compromise, as it is something I normally do.

Hope you find this helpful!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #2898
eriksen76

My Ride: BMW 318D 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbeck17 View Post
Startup:
- turn on car
- turn on dynavin
- press Navi

Shutdown:

My old radio had electricity all the time, maybe there is a possibility of making a nice shutdown like a phone when the car is turned off?
Quite bad that you have to go through alot of steps for a brand new unit at this price before you can walk out of the car
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #2899
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksen76 View Post
My old radio had electricity all the time, maybe there is a possibility of making a nice shutdown like a phone when the car is turned off?
Quite bad that you have to go through alot of steps for a brand new unit at this price before you can walk out of the car
You don't need to do those shutdown steps....just turn the car off. Read the next post, He was experimenting to figure out why he was having issues getting wifi to connect and discovered in the next post that the issue was his iphone staying "discoverable"....

The only thing you need to be careful of is that the unit isn't updating or installing anything when you turn it off.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-15-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #2900
wshgrntd

My Ride: 2007 335i m-sport
My cd/dvd player no longer works.. any suggestions? Honestly I did not use it that often but it is still nice to have...
wshgrntd is offline   Reply With Quote