E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #1961
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
I can understand that mate and I'm sorry I'm unable to help you as I haven't purchased the unit yet, I do hope you get it sorted soon though

I guess for me the one thing that is stopping me from purchasing the unit is the GPS issue and whether the unit can be rooted or not.

I use the GPS navigation quite a lot (Googe maps) so it's something I'd really like to work
Well since the GPS works with 1 soft but not well with igo it's definetily not a harware issue so it will be "easy" to solve....Since igo does not "remember" the settings we might have to edit them directly on the SD card...but we could also edit the speed settings, the guys at gpspassion or gpsunderground will have a solution for us, or in the worst case you use another navigation app such as copilot or navigon...

Last edited by jchuillier; 01-15-2013 at 04:16 AM.
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #1962
Chayan

My Ride: 330i 04
Can you install any other navigation app instead? like Navigon
Chayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #1963
jchuillier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayan View Post
Can you install any other navigation app instead? like Navigon
Well, since it's a standard Android 4.0.4 I don't see why it would not be possible, i didn't try yet but it should work, I installed a new launcher and it runs perfectly...
Old 01-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #1964
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
More questions for Enco owners please and thank you
  • Does Google maps/Nav auto recalculates the route if you go off the designated route? (The Dynavin Android 2.2 O/S doesn't auto recalulate ) - EDIT- just thought about this, this probably can't be tested at the minute until the GPS is fixed right??
  • Does the sound cuts out when reverse gear is selected or does it just lower?
  • Can the unit be tethered by USB cable to the likes of a samsung Galaxy II/III ? (I know we can Tether over wifi but I have a usb cradle/dock in my car for my Galaxy II and interested to see if USB tethering might work to the Enco).
  • How sensitive is the Touchscreen? (Dynavin screen has a bit of a mind of it's own when clicking on letters etc so looking to see ease of use etc on the Enco).
  • Does the time and date on the Android side save (like it would on a phone) or does it lose time/date setting each time the unit is restarted ?(Dynavin units required the time to be manually set each time the unit is started or a GPS or WiFi/Internet connection to set it).

Would love to see a review of the new units on the Android side

Last edited by CTRob; 01-16-2013 at 02:46 AM.
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #1965
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
More questions for Enco owners please and thank you
  • Does Google maps/Nav auto recalculates the route if you go off the designated route? (The Dynavin Android 2.2 O/S doesn't auto recalulate ) - EDIT- just thought about this, this probably can't be tested at the minute until the GPS is fixed right??
  • Does the sound cuts out when reverse gear is selected or does it just lower?
  • Can the unit be tethered by USB cable to the likes of a samsung Galaxy II/III ? (I know we can Tether over wifi but I have a usb cradle/dock in my car for my Galaxy II and interested to see if USB tethering might work to the Enco).
  • How sensitive is the Touchscreen? (Dynavin screen has a bit of a mind of it's own when clicking on letters etc so looking to see ease of use etc on the Enco).
  • Does the time and date on the Android side save (like it would on a phone) or does it lose time/date setting each time the unit is restarted ?(Dynavin units required the time to be manually set each time the unit is started or a GPS or WiFi/Internet connection to set it).

Would love to see a review of the new units on the Android side
Google Navigation does recalculate automatically. It does this on 2.3.2 on my custom tablet installation, as well.

Not sure on the sound cutting in and out, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that the rear camera is treated as any other "Input", so the sound will likely go completely out.

The touchscreen works as well as any other resistive touch touchscreen I have used. No complaints.

I wouldn't bank on being able to USB tether.

Time and date seem to save just fine on the Android side. It's always correct, but I am always tethered via WIFI.

Here's how I get around the fact that GPS is (until we can gain root access) irreparably broken:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oft.tgps&hl=en

I run the server on my phone, and the client on the radio. There's a widget for each, that just requires a touch once you have your WIFI tether going. It's not ideal, since it completely bypasses the GPS hardware in the radio, but everything works exactly how it should with TetherGPS running.

So, here's where I'm at with rooting this thing. After peeking inside, I found a button on the Android board. Since it's a Telechips board, I figured holding down this button would put it into FWDN mode, I could hook up via USB, the laptop would see it, and I could read/write the NAND. If I could pull a full backup with FWDN, I could extract that with the Telechips tools, put in a new version of SU with the appropriate privs, pack it back up, and send it back to the radio. So, I held the button down, powered it on... "NO SIGNAL" on the radio screen, which is a good sign it's in FWDN mode...but it never did allow a connection from either of my laptops. I tried two, one of them with XP, just in case something was funky with Windows 7. Nada. Sonofabitch.

So, without some sort of software exploit, some sort of APK that roots it for us, there's no getting in. Those kind of exploits are beyond my ability, unfortunately.

As-is, I'm "OK" with tethering my phone to it for GPS functionality. I have to tether it for internet access anyway, so it's just one more click. But, while that's me, and I don't mind fussing a little, that's definitely not what I paid for.

So, it's time to put Enco's feet to the fire. I have created a Paypal dispute, and requested a refund of half of my purchase price. Half of the radio works fine, and the half that provides the GPS functionality is crippled by a software bug, and short-sighted engineers who left no method for updating or patching Android. It's only fair that I'm compensated for that half.

I also gave them an alternative. Provide me with instruction on how to gain root, so that I can insert my fixed Framework.jar, and I will cancel the refund request.

It's a shame that a good product is rushed out the door with a crippling software bug, rendering it useless to most people.

Here are the possible outcomes, from least likely to most likely:

1. I get a refund of $280
2. I get root access, and can help everyone fix their radio.
3. Enco and Paypal both tell me to off, and I get nothing.
4. Eventually, someone releases a software exploit for 4.0.4 that gives us root, and we can fix it anyway.

At least I know I tried.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #1966
GRNMSTR

My Ride: '04 Fern Green 330ci
Hey guys hopefully I don't get burnt for this, but I'm in a huge rush to order one of these now that I know I can get it installed this Saturday. Can anyone give me the readers digest version of the best setup for my 04 330ci with business CD and HK speakers. Hoping to order tonight :/

Much appreciated fellas.
Yusef
GRNMSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #1967
CTRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post

4. Eventually, someone releases a software exploit for 4.0.4 that gives us root, and we can fix it anyway.

At least I know I tried.
Thanks for the comments PainBreak

What I meant about reverse and sound or no sound was in relation to the Dynavin units - With previous models when reverse was engaged (whether you have a reverse camera or not installed) the sound would always cut out from whatever source you were listening to however with the newest Dynavin model the D99+ Dynavin corrected this by allow the user to select an option that when reverse is engaged (again whether you have a reverse camera or not installed) you can either have the audio mute completely or you can have the audio play but at a lower volume (much much better option ) - I'm just wondering is this possible to emulate with the new Enco units?

I think all the new unit Enco owners need to follow suit here.

I think Jchuillier already said it - noise needs to be made here folks!

Last edited by CTRob; 01-17-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 AM   #1968
jchuillier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
So, it's time to put Enco's feet to the fire. I have created a Paypal dispute, and requested a refund of half of my purchase price. Half of the radio works fine, and the half that provides the GPS functionality is crippled by a software bug, and short-sighted engineers who left no method for updating or patching Android. It's only fair that I'm compensated for that half.

I also gave them an alternative. Provide me with instruction on how to gain root, so that I can insert my fixed Framework.jar, and I will cancel the refund request.

It's a shame that a good product is rushed out the door with a crippling software bug, rendering it useless to most people.

At least I know I tried.
Yep same for me with my no sound issue, can you PM some details of your Paypal dispute and I will do the same once I've started mine so we can tell paypal that more than 1 unit has some "issues"

Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #1969
jchuillier

Started a Paypal claim this morning with 4 issues

1) No sound
2) No root
3) GPS speed in iGO (giv me root and I'll sort this one)
4) Some apps won't install in playstore (dropbox) because "this app is not compatible with your device" which is supposed to be a standard Android 4.0.4 ICS

I think if we link our claims with painbreak they will have to move.

In the meantime i'll move the unit to the truck and see if I get sound using the short connexion cable....you never know
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #1970
Caravagio'sM3

My Ride: E46 M3
Subscribed.
Caravagio'sM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #1971
jchuillier

At least the paypal claim got them moving, just got a mail from them within 2 hours, they say they will send a new software to fix the GPS issues, I wonder how it will change things but let's wait and see.

I asked again for the root option because like that we would be able to solve A LOT of issues ourselves (and improve their device but I don't think they understood that yet...)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #1972
CTRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
At least the paypal claim got them moving, just got a mail from them within 2 hours, they say they will send a new software to fix the GPS issues, I wonder how it will change things but let's wait and see.

I asked again for the root option because like that we would be able to solve A LOT of issues ourselves (and improve their device but I don't think they understood that yet...)
Excellent news great start folks
Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #1973
jchuillier

Well, the potential is there for this to be a great unit so we have to push a little bit to get things moving
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #1974
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
this thread is making me tired.....

jchuillier, you dont have sound because your unit is defective. Either the wiring or the unit itself. Sorry and good luck dealing with your "friends" Jolly and Charles....

Painbreak, remember our conversation when I told you these were not "clones"....well now you know what I was talking about. You clearly know a lot about android, its too bad you didnt go the dynaivn route, it sounds like you could have done something interesting like M3evolution has done with his custom ROM.

Too bad you have to start doing payment disputes to get a reaction out of your vendor. There is a reason I do business here, and a reason I sell only dynavin. You guys are finding out why that is......the hard way...

As I said at the beginning of this thread, this has all happened before.....and apparently will happen again as people seem to keep walking into this "great deal"....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-17-2013 at 11:41 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #1975
bjornh

My Ride: 320iAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
this thread is making me tired.....

jchuillier, you dont have sound because your unit is defective. Either the wiring or the unit itself. Sorry and good luck dealing with your "friends" Jolly and Charles....

Painbreak, remember our conversation when I told you these were not "clones"....well now you know what I was talking about. You clearly know a lot about android, its too bad you didnt go the dynaivn route, it sounds like you could have done something interesting like M3evolution has done with his custom ROM.

Too bad you have to start doing payment disputes to get a reaction out of your vendor. There is a reason I do business here, and a reason I sell only dynavin. You guys are finding out why that is......the hard way...

As I said at the beginning of this thread, this has all happened before.....and apparently will happen again as people will keep walking into this....
So jeff, where can I purchase your $500 Android 4.0 unit?
bjornh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #1976
J&T Distributing

I think you missed the point.... I said before in reference to these units that while good specs are nice, and cheap prices are nice, neither means much if the units dont work for their intended purpose...Is all a combination of compromises. Im not going to argue with you guys, I think this thread speaks for itself. I just hope people do their homework so they know what they are getting into before they spend their money.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #1977
jchuillier

Well jeff, sorry to say so but shipping and android 2.3.5 nowadays....come on, the software is FREE .....I'm sure there must be some dynavin engineer somewhere in China who's able to run 4.xx (4.12 is really nice on my 3 year old phone not designed to run it.....) on a device.

Enco is FAR from perfect I'll give you that, but it's easier (If they want to do it) to fix the problems they have (defective unit or cable for me and root system for all of us) than to improve your unit with it's outdated specs cpu, ram and os...and when dynavin will release a 4.xx device it'll be 1500$ because of the higher cpu and ram...please prove me wrong and I'll be your next customer.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #1978
J&T Distributing

....$1500.....not likely, if anything it will be the same or even cheaper as android hardware has gotten very cheap since the dynaivn units originally came out. The software on the other hand is the tricky part (as proven by this thread), android may be free, but in house competent development is not. Now whether or not dynavin chooses to further invest in the android stuff is up to them. Since we got the licensing for iGo Primo winCE stuff last year im a bit on the fence as to if I think android in a car stereo is "worth it" at this point....but its up to the customers to determine that.

As I have said before, this thread is none of my business, but I have been following it.....and I just wanted to point out that your struggles reinforces why I started my business in the first place.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-17-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #1979
jchuillier

Well, from a customer point of vue

1) Android software that you pay for is registered on your google account, so you can pay for a software on your phone and use it in your tablet, in your dynavin
2) WinCe is abandonware, even from MS
3) The marketshare of android in the phones is about 60%, Ios 25%, blackberry and bada maybe 7 each and Wince (or windows phone 7) is at a whooping 1%....where will you get new apps and new devs to work on such a DEAD platform, just to think that there are 7 times more people using the shitty blackberry system than WinCe....

Since you're an importer (or a distributor or a reseller) for them, tell them that if they stay out of android they are cutting themsleves from a LARGE (how about 60% of the population using smartphones) part of their potential customers...

This being said the ENCO problems are not to be minimized and with painbreak I'm probably one of the idiots doing the beta test for them, but the problems are "only" software related and if they give us root access they will be solved in 2 weeks, and the product exists, so they are closer to give ME (because I can't speak for anybody else) the solution I want (an android 4.xx system) than anybody else I can think of at the moment.

Yes I am pissed off because I have no sound, but one must also be a bit philosophical, it's a little TOY that I put in my big TOY, so it's not life threatening, and I like to do some beta test, must be because I work in racing and EVERYTHING is ALWAYS broken
Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #1980
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
Well, from a customer point of vue

2) WinCe is abandonware, even from MS
3) The marketshare of android in the phones is about 60%, Ios 25%, blackberry and bada maybe 7 each and Wince (or windows phone 7) is at a whooping 1%....where will you get new apps and new devs to work on such a DEAD platform, just to think that there are 7 times more people using the shitty blackberry system than WinCe....

It is a common misconception with these types of units that winCE and Android can be compared.....not really, they are not equivalent, they serve two different purposes, two different types of customers, two different markets....

On a WinCE device, WinCE is not something you see, its just the background system that runs the navigation program that you DO see. WinCE is commonly used for this purpose across a wide variety of gps devices. It may be old, but it works well and is the "go to" system when running a stand alone nav. The better nav programs (like iGo) are intuitive and effective. WinCE does not do anything else in the unit, the rest of it is conventional car stereo hardware (and the same as the android units).

Android units on the other hand are flexible, you deal more with the OS directly, but can take a lot more work to get it where you want it, to an "android guy" this is fantastic but to a regular non-tech user it can be frustrating and a deal breaker.

Ask me how I know.....

By the reception I have received on this thread I think some of you guys see me as some kind of enemy or something.....Ive mostly stayed out of it but chime in when it seems things are getting bad........Im not some sleazy salesman, go dig up my history here, I was in your same position 3 years ago, just a member on this forum trying to work out the bugs on these new-fangled dynavin units.....and trying to help fellow forum members avoid getting ripped off by shady dealers. So I saved my pennies and bought a pallet load of dynavins and have been earning my reputation ever since.

Im a bit protective of these forums as I am trying to keep things from going back to the way they used to be with people getting ripped off all the time by vendors who come in here, unload a bunch of half working product, and split.....Im not saying that is what enco is doing BUT you are now having to dispute your purchase with enco through paypal just to get them to respond to you....not a good sign....

Its good that you are posting it on this forum but you too will soon be buried in this thread and most readers will never see this....keep in mind this is the third go round for this, you are not a "beta tester", this thread is over a year old and enco/szenco/erisin/hualingan units have been around for more than 3 years.....

Good luck guys, I wish you well and I hope things work out for you.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-17-2013 at 02:48 PM.