E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #21
Beem-me
Banned User

My Ride: 2006 M3 3 pedal
What an extremely detailed and well put together DIY. How long did it take you to do this??

How long do you think it would take a shop to do this with a lift and the tools and everything??? thanks
Beem-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #22
hueyhy

My Ride: E46 330i
Just wanna know anyone has experience finishing the shifter bushing job without removing the shaft/exhaust.
I heard you can do it. but not sure how hard it would be.
hueyhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #23
Tony3series

My Ride: 2003 325Ci (5-speed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyhy View Post
Just wanna know anyone has experience finishing the shifter bushing job without removing the shaft/exhaust.
I heard you can do it. but not sure how hard it would be.
Ditto and bump for an extremely detailed DIY! Feel more comfortable in attempting to tackle this now
2003 BMW 325ci: Sport package, F1 Racing Stage II clutch/lightweight flywheel, AFE intake, Ebay headers,KONI YELLOWS/new mounts, Beisan Vanos seals, angel eyes, CDV delete, Curt trailer hitch, LED tails, lip spoiler, blacked out grill&trim&bumper reflectors. Tons of maintenance items done.
Tony3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
LoveBeingUseless

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beem-me View Post
What an extremely detailed and well put together DIY. How long did it take you to do this??

How long do you think it would take a shop to do this with a lift and the tools and everything??? thanks
it would take 1-2 hours probably. It took me just a couple hours aswell, It takes more time for me cause I constantly am stopping to take pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony3series View Post
Ditto and bump for an extremely detailed DIY! Feel more comfortable in attempting to tackle this now
Thanks guys I appreciate it!

I just wanted to add that you might be able to get at the shifter itself out without dropping the exhaust/drive shaft, but it is definitly more challanging and confined. I have never attempted any part of this job without removing the exhaust/driveshaft.

For more updates, Follow me on Instagram! @LoveBeingUseless
LoveBeingUseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
mynewe45ride

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingUseless View Post
I just wanted to add that you might be able to get at the shifter itself out without dropping the exhaust/drive shaft, but it is definitly more challanging and confined. I have never attempted any part of this job without removing the exhaust/driveshaft.
After looking at my exhaust flange bolts, i am hesitant to try taking them out. Is there any way to drop the driveshaft from the front+tie it up without removing center support and perform the work?
Dec 2011 - window regulator, vcg, vanos seals, fuel filter, PS hoses+resorvoir, water pump, wp pulley, belts, thermostat, spark plugs, springs, FCAB & RCAB
Aug 2012 - Driver & Passenger Seat Belt Tensioner to fix Airbag light
Dec 2013 - Rear Diff & subframe bushing, Shocks & Struts, Wheels
mynewe45ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #26
LoveBeingUseless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewe45ride View Post
After looking at my exhaust flange bolts, i am hesitant to try taking them out. Is there any way to drop the driveshaft from the front+tie it up without removing center support and perform the work?
I think you can do, definitely tougher. another member on here told me he did it not to long ago!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #27
Jay Cartay

My Ride: Subaru Impreza STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post
So if I want to do exactly what you did, I would get:

25-11-1-469-397 Shifter Ball Mount
25-11-1-222-015 Shifter Idler Arm Rear Mount
23-41-1-466-134 Dowel Pin
25-11-1-220-439 Nylon Washers
25-11-7-519-669 Shifter Idler Arm Trans Mount Bushing
25-11-7-546-373 E60 545i Short Throw Shifter
25-11-7-580-281 Gear Selector Input Shaft Joint

And for added kicks and giggles I'd throw in a UUC DSSR.

That about makes up the whole parts list right? Maybe a few exhaust bolts too....
Sorry to revive an old thread, but could you help me out and tell me which of these parts are E60 and which are E46? I'm going to try and assemble the list of parts for my own car, but am finding that some of the part numbers you've given don't come up on RealOEM.com
Jay Cartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 AM   #28
Jay Cartay

My Ride: Subaru Impreza STi
I've now also noticed that your 325i has a different shifting arm and different selector rod and input shaft joint than the 330cd which I have.

So now I also need to know if I would need to change those parts or whether I would just fit the E60 short shifter to my existing set up and just change:

25-11-1-222-015 Shifter Idler Arm Rear Mount E46 330cd
25-11-1-220-439 Nylon Washers E46 330cd
25-11-7-522-149 Rubber Boot E46 330cd
25-11-7-519-669 Shifter Idler Arm Trans Mount Bushing "Different part number for my car but same sort of part)
25-11-7-522-149 Rubber Boot E46 330cd

And hopefully that will freshen it up and give me the short shifter. Otherwise I will have to change the shifting arm and selector rod. The selector rod for the 330cd (25117528395) has a joint included as part of it. It's different to the joint your car uses.
Jay Cartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #29
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
LoveBeingUseless, thanks for the awesome DIY. It was great to have all the nice pictures & text, without having to wade through Bentley.

For my East Coast car, getting the four exhaust manifold nuts removed was a total PITA. The nuts just laughed at PB Blaster & heat, and an impact wrench rounded the darned things off instantly. Nut extractors did no good. It took a full day of whittling with a Dremel to cut the nuts off. Nonetheless, it was worth the pain to get the exhaust and driveshaft out of the way. I also had to do a selector shaft seal replacement while I had everything apart, so I needed all the room I could get.

The "bitch clip" earns its name - I struggled with that thing for a good hour. I installed teflon bushings in the selector arm during reassembly.

One thing I belatedly realized was that a UUC DSSR will not fit over the end of the E60 shifter or a new selector rod joint. Apparently BMW has added extra thickness (to the plastic) on those parts, deleting the yellow washers. At least with the DSSR I had, you would have to shave down the mating new parts to get it to fit. I sent the DSSR back for a refund, because I didn't want to disassemble everything to play MacGuyver.

As it turns out, the bulk of my old shifter's sloppiness was due to the worn selector rod joint - the foam was gone. It shifts very tightly now, and I love the shorter throw with the E60 shifter. I splurged on the ZHP knob, too.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #30
ZHPinthe103

My Ride: 325i Black on beige
How long do you think this will take for a shop to install the e60 545i shifter into my sedan
Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #31
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cartay View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but could you help me out and tell me which of these parts are E60 and which are E46? I'm going to try and assemble the list of parts for my own car, but am finding that some of the part numbers you've given don't come up on RealOEM.com
Hey, sorry to just read this thread again, hope I'm not too late.

As far as I can tell, only the part that's listed as 545i shifter in my post is the only E60 part.

The rest of the bushings are the same EXCEPT the rod bushing (I addressed this in another post elsewhere) but this bushing that connects the transmission and the selector rod could be of different shapes (circle or oval) and I would say is important to find out which you have.

EDIT: Jaundice's post

It is possible to grind down the extra bushing that protrudes from the metal, which is what I did, and it feels awesome and tight...

Last edited by tks; 02-09-2013 at 12:57 AM.
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
TopazID

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
very good DIY mate. i must do this soon oh btw your Guibo needs replacing soon
Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #33
BringsMeWomen

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Great thread! Just wondering how much did everything cost? Thanks
BringsMeWomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #34
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
BringsMeWomen - for rough parts prices, take ruskisky's list and run it through RealOEM. I can't seem to find my receipt, unfortunately. You can check Tischer or other online vendors for current prices, but I don't know about shipping to Canada. Don't think you'll need the yellow washers (the shifter and the selector rod joint incorporate them now, as I mentioned above).

If you pull the exhaust, it would be wise to get the four exhaust manifold nuts; they're self-locking, one-time use. Also replace the two gaskets. Check RealOEM for the part numbers for those items. I can only imagine what a nightmare dropping the exhaust on a Canadian car will be.

The ZHP weighted knob is sweet and worth the $$$.

ruskisky - thanks, good to know for future reference about the DSSR fitment. I had everything assembled when I discovered the problem, and by that point I was beat from struggling with the exhaust and said, "Eh, heck with it." Fortunately overhauling everything else has made a world of difference.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #35
tks

Yeah, I called the company that made the DSSR and they said that the shifter won't fit because of that bushing but I ordered it anyways knowing I'd have to shave something hehe.

As far as the costs, the most expensive thing you'll run into is the shifter itself, 55 bucks or so, the rest are bushing.. I don't think it went above 125 iirc. The DSSR itself is over 100 so that's what made it so pricey and you're looking at 200 bucks for entire parts but overall a good investment. This again is just from recollection, do some searching!

I also ordered the 4 bolts for the exhaust because mine were different sizes (why i dunno) and I think those are like either 10 bucks each or something too lol.

Dropping the exhaust is a must I would say if you want to struggle less in the long run.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #36
ZHPinthe103

Does the e60 shifter sit at "perfect neutral"?

Will it fit a 03 325i?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #37
tks

Personally, I haven't noticed the difference or maybe I have gotten used to it, but complemented with the ZHP knob it sits just fine, perfect to me
Old 04-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #38
Tiyal

My Ride: 2002 325I
awesome write up and photos!!
Tiyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #39
LoveBeingUseless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPinthe103 View Post
Does the e60 shifter sit at "perfect neutral"?

Will it fit a 03 325i?
Yes it will fit the 03 325i with a 5 speed trans. That is exactly what my car is actually.

To answer your other question, yes. The shifter since perfectly centered like oem. The shifter geometry is spot on with factory shifter, just a slightly short shifter height and increased levering length on the bottom of the pivot point. This is what shortens the throw.

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! I'm glad it is helpful

Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #40
ZHPinthe103

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingUseless View Post
Yes it will fit the 03 325i with a 5 speed trans. That is exactly what my car is actually.

To answer your other question, yes. The shifter since perfectly centered like oem. The shifter geometry is spot on with factory shifter, just a slightly short shifter height and increased levering length on the bottom of the pivot point. This is what shortens the throw.

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! I'm glad it is helpful

Thanks. This is an amazing mod. I had the dealer install the E60 545i shifter when I went in for an oil change two weeks ago. However, the shift knob is about 2 mm off center. It slightly points towards the steering wheel side. Would it be difficult for them to go back in and make it perfectly centered or does it not really matter in the terms of shift linkage dynamics?