E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Diarmaid

My Ride: E46 318i 2000
E46 318i engine tapping (video included)

2000 M43 engine 1895cc petrol. Anyone have a similar noise coming from their E46/E36 and know the fix?
Is it the hydraulic lifters or the timing chain tensioner?
It makes this noise when the engine is cold and right up untill it reaches normal temperature. It fades in and out sometimes untill it reaches normal temperature.
It clears temperarally after I rev to about 3500rpm.
Oil used - 0W40.
Tried additives before but they don't work anymore.
Diarmaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
jcjdavis1

My Ride: 323ise 1999 saloon
Hi. Do an engine flush, use cheap car diesel oil, clean under the rocker cover and replace the oil spray bar then a complete oil filter change. I use 10/40 oil in my car as it is at 113000 mls with no adverse affects. See if that helps. Jim
Old 05-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Diarmaid

Thanks for the reply!
I tried an oil flush a few months ago - no real improvement, I also had the rocker cover off - couldn't really see any noticable damage or signs of a worn out part. I had the oil spray bar out too, no blockages so didn't replace - how much is a new one?.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
jcjdavis1

My Ride: 323ise 1999 saloon
Hi. I googled your problem and came across this-

It could well be a hydraulic tappet, and once they've started making a noise they're finished. The additives you can buy will keep it quiet by expanding the oil seal but it won't last long. The best course of action is to try and identify the noisy one (use a screwdriver held against the cam cover and to your ear) and replace two or three. The M43 engine is quite easy to work on and when you have the special tool you can compress the valve and hook out the rockers before lifting out the old hydraulic tappet and dropping a new one in. Jim
Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarmaid View Post

2000 M43 engine 1895cc petrol. Anyone have a similar noise coming from their E46/E36 and know the fix?
Is it the hydraulic lifters or the timing chain tensioner?
It makes this noise when the engine is cold and right up untill it reaches normal temperature. It fades in and out sometimes untill it reaches normal temperature.
It clears temperarally after I rev to about 3500rpm.
Oil used - 0W40.
Tried additives before but they don't work anymore.
I'm finding more and more people with an M43TU like myself on here Mind if I add you?? Trying to keep a database of people ...

Get yourself a gardening hose and use it as a stethoscope to try and find where it is loudest ...

This is my thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...510&highlight=

I don't think that's your problem, but I'm willing to bet if you put your hand on your Tappet Cover you should be able to feel it ...
Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Diarmaid

I changed the hydraulic tappets - noise is now gone.

I bought 8 of them (8 valve engine) cost me 160 euro.

Did the work myself.

I bought this tool (40-50 euro)
- http://cdn.priceprobe.net/i/1638252....6d317.12116885

so that I could take out the old tappets without removing the camshaft etc.
All it does is compress a valve spring so that you can easily remove the cam follower and just lift out and replace the tappets.

The tool took a while to set up right for the arkward working space, but all and all it took probably 2 hours, maybe more.

*****NOTE -
before you compress the springs, study the position of the cams and valves so that there is enough space to remove the followers past the cam lobes, also you don't want to hit a valve off the piston when compressing the spring with the tool. To move the cam position, turn the starter for a SPLIT SECOND (remove all tools and loose parts from the area so that nothing gets broken or caught in the camshaft)
Also, when putting the followers back in, it is important that when you compress the spring you also (using a screwdriver or something) put a bit of pressure on the top of the valve so that it moves WITH the spring and doesn't become un-clipped and fall into the cylinder.

Last edited by Diarmaid; 06-19-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
What's the mileage on your car? Mine is at 84,000kms. I'm dreading the day I hear that noise. M43 here also.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Diarmaid

100,000 miles.
I'd say that if you kept up with regular oil changes you will be fine. BMW services change the oil every 15,000 miles which seams far too long to go without an oil change. I change mine every 7 - 8,000 since I bought it over a year ago.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarmaid View Post
100,000 miles.
I'd say that if you kept up with regular oil changes you will be fine. BMW services change the oil every 15,000 miles which seams far too long to go without an oil change. I change mine every 7 - 8,000 since I bought it over a year ago.
That may be it. I change mine every 10,000 kms or 6000 miles since 2000 when I got it. Then again, your car has double the mileage of mine. 100,000miles is around 160,000 kms.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 06-19-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Msporter

My Ride: 316i E36 Msport
Thank you so much for this post and video i have exactly the same problem!

I have an E36 1999 with an M43 1.9 engine and recently the ticking noise on startup when cold has become really bad.

Could u maybe give me a more detailed set of instructions to comeplete this work?

Thanks
Msporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
shathiso morima

My Ride: Bmw E46 318I
Msporter did you fix your car?i also have the same problem on an E46 2000 318I M43 engine
shathiso morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Msporter

My Ride: 316i E36 Msport
No dude i havent had the balls to even attempt to compress the valve springs incase i lose them into the cyliner haha, however i did find out that the lifters are 25 each from bmw parts because they have to come all the way from germany

Or u can also try the wynss hydraulic lifter treatment that takes the noise away for a few weks then it comes back again.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
shaunn

My Ride: BMW E46 318i
mine has stated

Hi all guess what my cars lifters are also stuffed now chain changed as well as the tenshoner
shaunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Hektik

My Ride: BMW 318ci
I've just started getting it last couple days on cold starts only. Its only for a few secs then smooth as normal but think I'll give the oil change / flush / filter and the Wynns treatment stuff ago before having (a mechanic) mess with changing tappetts.

How is all your guys tappets? Is it also just on colds start? did it get worse? mines currently on 74k miles
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektik View Post
I've just started getting it last couple days on cold starts only. Its only for a few secs then smooth as normal but think I'll give the oil change / flush / filter and the Wynns treatment stuff ago before having (a mechanic) mess with changing tappetts.

How is all your guys tappets? Is it also just on colds start? did it get worse? mines currently on 74k miles
Does your sound like the video Hektik? As that does sound rather rough, mine on start you can hear slightly then with in 30/40 seconds sounds normal. I use 5/40 Fully Synthetic Oil in mine wonder if that may make a difference, but if its that noise then more likely tappets as others have said.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
Hektik

My Ride: BMW 318ci
aww cant hear the vid Shaun atm cuz at work (obv not much work getting done!! lol) will deffo have a gander later. As say mine sounded quite loud is the worrying part... will soon see.....

Tags
engine, lifters, noise, tappets, tapping