E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Sometimes hard to get into first gear from neutral (Solved)

Strange problem that I've had since owning the car.

Sometimes at a dead-stop, I'll put the car in neutral. When I go to shift into first, the shifter won't go in! It's like it goes in half-way and hits a wall and won't get in there. If I move it into 2nd then 1st a couple of times, or even 3rd, it tends to loosen up and allow the shifter to move into place. It does not do this all the time, just completely randomly. This does this on occasion with reverse as well, but is much less common.

What could cause this? Would changing the transmission fluid help? My mom's Porsche is a 2005 and has about 50k miles, and it sometimes does the same thing.

Solved:

Turns out this is a thing that just happens on occasion to manual transmissions, changing fluid helps with it.

Last edited by Zell; 01-18-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
I haven't had this problem, but I would offer to trade my car with your Mom's for a few years.....

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Zell

It's a base Boxster, my E46 is faster

But boy the gearbox in that thing is sublime. Very, very short throw and smooth as butter to use.

Last edited by Zell; 01-15-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
I've had this exact same problem, but only with first. All I have to do is let the clutch out and push back in. Then I can easily shift into first. It only happens after start up and occurs once every month or so.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I've experienced this with just about every manual transmission car I've ever driven. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think it's just the way the syncros/gears happened to be positioned at that exact moment. I wouldn't at all be concerned. I'd say this happens to me about once a month?? it can be awkward at a stop light. your transmission fluid should be changed anyway

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
Hammer432

My Ride: 2001 330i 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcollins View Post
I've had this exact same problem, but only with first. All I have to do is let the clutch out and push back in. Then I can easily shift into first. It only happens after start up and occurs once every month or so.
Same here, I've just learned to deal with it.
Hammer432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
1st gear engagement fix
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
afstud

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6-speed
i usually quickly throw it in 2nd then to up to first everytime from a dead stop and it works great that way.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Anyone else have a problem in which the shifter leans to the right a bit at start up but fixes itself later presumably after the car and transmission have warmed up. Usually when the lever is in neutral it is between 3 and 4, but with this issue, it is pushed over in line with 5. This is not a big problem but shifting into third becomes tough because I have to find it first.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by afstud View Post
i usually quickly throw it in 2nd then to up to first everytime from a dead stop and it works great that way.
This is what do and it generally works no problem. I did just also flush my transmission fluid and shifting is smoother but it still does this occasionally.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
e4ortysix

My Ride: 03 325ci vert
Mine dos this every once in a while. Mostly when its cold. Like others said it's pretty commen. I replaced my clutch and everything about 4k ago and still does it. I wouldn't worry about it.
e4ortysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
Zell

Good to know that it's not a sign of transmission failure. I'm going to do my transmission fluid soon, hopefully it will at least help. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Anyone else have a problem in which the shifter leans to the right a bit at start up but fixes itself later presumably after the car and transmission have warmed up. Usually when the lever is in neutral it is between 3 and 4, but with this issue, it is pushed over in line with 5. This is not a big problem but shifting into third becomes tough because I have to find it first.
Yeah it's some spring inside the trans sticking. Can't remember what it's called but its common and I have it too. Super annoying and makes me suck at driving while my car is cold.

It's fixable but I think it's difficult. Try searching its been covered.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
have the same issue sometimes.. i thought it may be something to do with the links and you mounts. guess i can stop wondering now

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
shahbaz99

My Ride: Clean 330ci
very normal on all manual cars. usually if you just let go of the brake and roll back or forward ever so slightly, it will go in gear like butter. usually putting it in second and then back in first should work though. basically dont worry about it, there is nothing wrong with your car as far as this topic goes.

Last edited by shahbaz99; 01-16-2013 at 09:31 AM.
shahbaz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Yeah it's some spring inside the trans sticking. Can't remember what it's called but its common and I have it too. Super annoying and makes me suck at driving while my car is cold.

It's fixable but I think it's difficult. Try searching its been covered.
Yep. That's been discussed for nearly a decade on the forums. There's a 250+ page thread either on m3f or bf.c. from 2007ish? I forget. anyway the trans needs to be dropped and you need a special tool set. The parts themselves for the fix are like $20.

My particular trans is VERY resistant to this. my 98 M3 was worse. I think its just a matter of age. basically do it when you do the clutch.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
Cyanide72

My Ride: 2002 325i
Happens to me also. Like afstud, I just throw it into 2nd then back into first and it works 100% of the time for me.

On a side note, it used to happen in my parents brand new Lexus as well, so I wasn't too shocked when it happened again on my E46.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
shahbaz99

My Ride: Clean 330ci
Quote:
ive had that issue since day one of E46 ownership. Its called the detent pin i think. once the car warms up after 5 min it goes away. basically dont put it into the right side until the car is warm or else your going to have the annoying sticky shifter for a few minutes. My very experienced mechanic said its not worth replacing until you need a new clutch because you have to drop the tranny to get to it. my car has 200,000km(120k miles) on it and the original clutch still feels tight and strong, gonna be awhile lol.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
Redryan98

My Ride: 07 Legacy GT 5MT
I'm wondering if doing all of the detent bushings/pins in the trans would fix the difficulties going into 1st/2nd gear. I plan on replacing them all when I do my clutch next year using this kit:
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-...mw-zfdetentkit

The hard part will be finding/making the tools to get this done.
Redryan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Change the oil. That fixes the majority of the can't get into first comments
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote