E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Blackbeamer00

My Ride: BMW 323i 2000
Front wheel sound

i just got this car and there is a sound coming from the wheel and it makes a sounds each time it makes a turn like it get faster and faster but after i hit 60MPH it disappears and it is usually from 35MPH to 60MPH. i thought it would be the wheel hub and i replaced that but that hadn't make a difference because it still does it. May it be a brake problem?
Blackbeamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeamer00 View Post
i just got this car and there is a sound coming from the wheel and it makes a sounds each time it makes a turn like it get faster and faster but after i hit 60MPH it disappears and it is usually from 35MPH to 60MPH. i thought it would be the wheel hub and i replaced that but that hadn't make a difference because it still does it. May it be a brake problem?
Still could be the bearing if the Hub wasn't installed correctly. When it makes the sound, which way are you turning? Which hub did you replace?

Last edited by lsteg; 01-15-2013 at 12:00 PM.
lsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Blackbeamer00

It only does it when im driving straight but when i turn or anythibg there is no sound because by then im down to 25mph but it basicly does it when im drivinf straight on an highway or anywhere where its 35mph to 60 mph
Old 01-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Blackbeamer00

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteg View Post
Still could be the bearing if the Hub wasn't installed correctly. When it makes the sound, which way are you turning? Which hub did you replace?
It only does it when im driving straight but when i turn or anythibg there is no sound because by then im down to 25mph but it basicly does it when im drivinf straight on an highway or anywhere where its 35mph to 60 mph
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
lsteg

Quote:
Is this coming from a specific side of the car?
Can you feel it in the steering wheel or is this just a sound?
Have you inspected your tires?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Blackbeamer00

Quote:
Is this coming from a specific side of the car?
Can you feel it in the steering wheel or is this just a sound?
Have you inspected your tires?
Its coming from front driver side an there is no shake or vibrate on the steerin wheel but it does vibrate the car a little. And yes i have i even put the rear to front and its still the same
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
lsteg

Fact checking:

You have a vibration that is coming from the front driver side wheel that only happens when you're going straight at around 35-60mph. This vibration does not follow the tire when they were swapped.

Which wheel did you replace the Hub on?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Blackbeamer00

Quote:
Fact checking:

You have a vibration that is coming from the front driver side wheel that only happens when you're going straight at around 35-60mph. This vibration does not follow the tire when they were swapped.

Which wheel did you replace the Hub on?
on the left side (driver) where the sound is coming from
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
tjyak50

My Ride: Frontier, 240z, W126
OP said sound, not vibration? Or both?
Some tires are noisy?
tjyak50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
lsteg

Quote:
Its coming from front driver side an there is no shake or vibrate on the steerin wheel but it does vibrate the car a little. And yes i have i even put the rear to front and its still the same
Vibration
Sound

Both?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Blackbeamer00

Quote:
Vibration
Sound

Both?
more sound. vibration only on certain points
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
I have the same thing, OP. It's like a whirring noise that sounds like something is slightly chaffing. I'm replacing rotors and brake pads soon, and I think that should fix the problem. Wheel hubs, from forum experience, only make humming sounds when going bad. My sound sounds like metallic parts are slightly rubbing on each other. Under hard braking, the sound goes away, so it must have to do with the brakes.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
CarterRuss

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
I had to replace a wheel hub and it made a noise from 20-50mph, sounded like a flat tire almost, as the wheel rotated it would make a noise. Under braking the noise would actually go away. Replaced it and incorrectly replaced it so it still made the noise. Replaced again correctly (with bearing race installer) and it fixed it. I actually only heard the sound when I drove straight also. The sound went away to my hears at 50+ mph but I would notice that my ears would pop or need to be popped at highway speeds (either coincidence or due to the wheel bearing making such high pitched sounds)

Also could be a unbalanced tire if the steering wheel vibrates a lot from what I am told.

CarterRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Blackbeamer00

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterRuss View Post
I had to replace a wheel hub and it made a noise from 20-50mph, sounded like a flat tire almost, as the wheel rotated it would make a noise. Under braking the noise would actually go away. Replaced it and incorrectly replaced it so it still made the noise. Replaced again correctly (with bearing race installer) and it fixed it. I actually only heard the sound when I drove straight also. The sound went away to my hears at 50+ mph but I would notice that my ears would pop or need to be popped at highway speeds (either coincidence or due to the wheel bearing making such high pitched sounds)

Also could be a unbalanced tire if the steering wheel vibrates a lot from what I am told.
What do you mean installed it corectly with a bearing race instaler? Can you give me directions on how you did it please? But if that doesnt stop it ima try to do replace the brakes.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
G3n15z

My Ride: '00 BMW 318i
Send a message via MSN to G3n15z
Same problem here, but in my case the tires are new and unbalanced.
G3n15z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
CarterRuss

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Here is my thread on my issue: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...067&highlight=

The wheel bearing/hub DIY: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=610725

When you go to put the wheel hub on the spindle, you need to use a bearing race installer. I used a 36mm socket the first time around and damaged the bearing (specifically the bearing holder). The socket puts force on just the inner race, where as the race installer puts equal force on both inner and outer race causing the bearing to move onto the spindle as a whole. You only use the socket to finish securing the hub after, I missed that note in the DIY the first time around

If you look at your wheel hub and it looks like grease or oil is seeping out of the bearing, it is most likely damaged, or if you can wiggle the hub and notice movement. The problem with the hub is that once it is one there, you can't take it off unless you plan to replace.

CarterRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Is it a low kind of "humming noise"? My E46 has made that noise since it was new! I don't have any problems with it; I have actually gotten used to it. It's not loud enough to be annoying and just makes the car feel efficient
2000beamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
college46

My Ride: Alpine White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
Is it a low kind of "humming noise"? My E46 has made that noise since it was new! I don't have any problems with it; I have actually gotten used to it. It's not loud enough to be annoying and just makes the car feel efficient
This may be simple, but have you checked your power steering fluid level? I one time forgot to check and it was below the min level, it started making similar noises around the same mph on hard turns.
sorry to hijack op
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by college46 View Post
This may be simple, but have you checked your power steering fluid level? I one time forgot to check and it was below the min level, it started making similar noises around the same mph on hard turns.
sorry to hijack op
To be honest, I never thought to! Interesting suggestion; will look into it. Thanks!
2000beamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #20
Blackbeamer00

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterRuss View Post

well i put in the hub as that forum showed but there is still that problem. but ima try to change the brakes for now and see if that does anything.

Tags
noise, wheel