E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
PITT M3 RR

My Ride: E46 M3
Imola 2002 E46 M3 - Documentation thread

I like to start these threads to keep track of my cars, the mods and the maintenance I do.

Picked up this 109K 02 Imola on black 6MT slick top in Tennessee in december and immediately I've torn into it.

-TMS subframe reinforcement kit -$141
-Akg Motor mounts 75D - $140
-Akg Tranny mounts 75D - $40
-Akg Subframe bushings 75D - $180
-Akg Differential Bushings 75D - $130
-FCP Lemforder Flex disk ?(guibo) - $93
-Fobi driver side e-brake cable - $24
-Bilstein PSS10's
-Ground control camber plates
-Custom subframe reinforcement brace

I bought these because I noticed I had a loud bang when shifting hard in lower gears on the way home, so once I made the 13 hour trip, I got under there the next day to find 109K mile bushings at the end of their life and a tiny crack just now starting at the subframe mounting point on the body, probably due to the shitty bushings.

I've removed everything in preperation for the install of all these parts next week. Can't wait to get this round of maint / mods out of the way so I can start personalizing the vehicle.

Already installed was a UUC short shift kit, body colored grilles (meh).

UUC SSK / AFE STG1 Intake / AKG Red Motor mounts / AKG Red Tranny mounts / AKG Red Subframe bushings / AKG Red Differential bushings / AKG Red RTABS / TMS Subframe reinforcement / Custom in trunk subframe structural brace / Bilstein PSS10's / Ground control camber plates / Turner RSM

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 01-16-2013 at 03:43 AM.
PITT M3 RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
PITT M3 RR

UUC SSK / AFE STG1 Intake / AKG Red Motor mounts / AKG Red Tranny mounts / AKG Red Subframe bushings / AKG Red Differential bushings / AKG Red RTABS / TMS Subframe reinforcement / Custom in trunk subframe structural brace / Bilstein PSS10's / Ground control camber plates / Turner RSM
Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
Thank you so much for this. My subframe is cracked and torn, and I was trying to give the shop thats going to do the work an image of what I wanted to do to brace it up after it gets repaired. They probably knew what I was talking about, but I couldnt find the other thread that gave me the idea to do it. Now I can actually show them what I'de like done. have you noticed an improvement in stiffness at all? I would imagine so. Beautiful car btw
Eisenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
PITT M3 RR

Youre welcome man - glad I could help. Ill be adding more to this thread as I progress.

Also I any speak for the stiffness yet, havnt driven it. Ill report back when I do eventually.

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 01-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Nice work so far.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
PITT M3 RR

Thanks man

The good work is continuing haha

Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
fatskidmark

Nice car brah! Did you swap out the front grills for black ones or are go'n to rock the body colored?
fatskidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
dmz

My Ride: M3
Manual and no sunroof? Nice find!
dmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
PITT M3 RR

Grilles won't be body matched - ill hang on to them I think, but the flat black accents are best looks wise.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Subscribed so I know what to do when the subframe takes a dump. Nice car btw.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
PITT M3 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmutm3 View Post
Subscribed so I know what to do when the subframe takes a dump. Nice car btw.
Bring it to me haha, well work out a deal.

Also 7 degrees outside is killing my progress.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
Bring it to me haha, well work out a deal.

Also 7 degrees outside is killing my progress.
Same weather here. Funny that you had to drive to Tennesse to get the M3. When I was ready to buy all the ones I liked were in NJ or PA. I ended up driving to NJ for mine. Needless to say you are just a tad too far for me. Hehehe
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
PITT M3 RR

Haha no worries and yea I flew here to atl to Memphis and drive 12 hours home. I had a blast.

If you're dropping 15K+ you can expand your horizons a bit...that's why I didn't mind it logistically.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
PITT M3 RR

Cleaned painted subframe after I removed the bushings, installed AKG subframe bushings with antisieze, installed diff bushings and torqued subframe studs to hand tight + 1/4. Also RTV'd the edges of the mounting points to block water.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
Kwipp

My Ride: lsb m3
How noticeable is the difference with that custom strut brace a long the back?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
JamaicanBlueE46M3

With the rear brace that u built inside the trunk, what that long treaded screw I see going down the middle?
JamaicanBlueE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
PITT M3 RR

I still havnt driven it - bit it will be very stiff.

The screw is welded to where the stud threads in and again at the angled portion on the cross brace. Il make a diagram at work tonight to show you.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
SocratesRising

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
I too just purchased an 02 Imola Red, sunroof delete, manual seat beauty as well. I wish I had your mechanical skills and a garage - I would probably never leave the house! Nice work!
SocratesRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
PITT M3 RR

Todays progress wasn't to bad...

- Installed new guibo and tranny mounts using proper torque specs.

- Installed the new emergency brake cable

- I RTV'd all the welds under the car and smeared it over the painted areas

- Installed the differential

- Installed rest of the rear suspension minus the coilover kit

- Installed the AKG RTABS (Powerflex were in there before so thats cool)

- I also finished up the brace with one more connection point

I called AKG and they told me I could either keep or eliminate the middle tranny mount so I decided to keep it in

RTABS greased and installed

I also decided to tie the brace into the frame rail as well to distribute what ever load there is a little bit more.

Rear differential installed, along with most of the rear assembly...I have Ebrake shoes ready for the morning at autozone. The ones in the car were non existant so that will sold my no ebrake problem.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #20
wbean

My Ride: 04 Estoril blue M3
wow that is amazing work.

if only you were around my area this looks much more professional than what our local shops will charge an arm for to do!

kudos to you sir.
wbean is offline   Reply With Quote