E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
The reason I dont miss driving sticks. Suffer in traffic pedals pushers
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #22
diM3tri

My Ride: 330ci + stg2 Scoobie
Every morning to get to school I have to go up a one lane hill that's about a mile and a half long in distance. And it's dead stopped traffic of everyone going to school and work. Driving my 5spd at 6:10 in the morning up that hill is just horrible. But once I get past that hill I can feel the pure joy of driving a manual. It's totally worth it. There's nothin you can really do except blast some music, take your mind off the traffic, and look forward to getting to 5k rpm once you get past the traffic

Current Cars:
'99 Big Turbo B5 A4 (the red one) ^^^
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
diM3tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #23
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drehmacht View Post
I tried keeping my distance today and 4 cars cut in front of me in a 3 second span. Masshole drivers. If I don't move right away when the car in front moves I get honked at
You'll get used to it. I did.
Relax and set your own pace. You'll get there about the same time.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #24
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Traffic sucks in the Boston area, bad enough where I don't like taking my e46 to work because of it.

Any advice/ recommendations (besides getting an automatic)?
Don't ride the clutch or sit with your foot on the brake and the clutch down. Stopping: brake, clutch down, gears in neutral, clutch up, apply hand brake. Start: clutch down, first gear, hand brake off, clutch up and move off. Get into that routine. Pretty soon you will do it without even thinking about it. Sounds like a lot of effort but good driving takes effort. Lazy driving leads to mishaps.

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-16-2013 at 03:42 AM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #25
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
Some good tips given to you OP !

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #26
Rotha

My Ride: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDaddy View Post
Both BMW greensboro. Difference is, now those idiots can show how stupid they are through social media. And now they have no shame about it. This is why society needs bullying.
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #27
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I don't know, traffic never really bothered me. I actually prefer it to an automatic. Automatics have very little engine braking compared to manuals - so you've got to switch from gas to brake quickly and frequently. In a manual (especially the M3, but the 330 wasn't bad either), you can simply let off the gas and not have to touch the brake until you hit idle.

The only times the manual bothers me is if I'm in stop and go traffic uphill. The E90s solved that problem though

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-16-2013 at 07:00 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #28
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Don't ride the clutch or sit with your foot on the brake and the clutch down. Stopping: brake, clutch down, gears in neutral, clutch up, apply hand brake. Start: clutch down, first gear, hand brake off, clutch up and move off. Get into that routine. Pretty soon you will do it without even thinking about it. Sounds like a lot of effort but good driving takes effort. Lazy driving leads to mishaps.
Why are you going through the hassle of shifting so damn much and even going as far applying the parking drive.. seriously? Maybe I've been awake too long and can't find the sarcasm.

For any sort of traffic where I don't have a need for speed, I tend to keep a proportional car distance in relation to speed, I try to look past the first car in front of me and generally look toward what the cars in front of him are doing (speeding up/ braking/ merging) and adjust accordingly. First gear sometimes tends to be tricky so try second, I usually don't let the revs drop below idle and let hills help me out.
tks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #29
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
CDV? How much to remove? Andddddd clutch is probably burning every time i drive already

I tried keeping my distance today and 4 cars cut in front of me in a 3 second span. Masshole drivers. If I don't move right away when the car in front moves I get honked at
CDV (clutch delay valve) delete is free. You basically just uncrew it from the transmission.

Screw those people. You aren't losing much time by letting people pass. The impatient jerks can suck a bag of dicks. Flip them off every time, especially if you are a bigger guy.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #30
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post
Why are you going through the hassle of shifting so damn much and even going as far applying the parking drive.. seriously?
Why? Because that's how you drive a manual. The hand brake isn't just for parking. Its also there in case you get a bump from behind. It minimizes the chance of being shunted into the car in front or under the truck in front. You have to take a driving test to get a licence in the UK. If you ride the clutch or fail to apply the parking brake whenever the car is stationary, even in a traffic queue, you will fail your driving test. I don't know about the US but the differences between a manual and an automatic mean that you can't drive a manual on an automatic license in the UK. You have to take a more stringent test. I'm sure there are good reasons for this. The vast majority of cars in the UK are manual. In fact autos are deemed to be a bit wussy.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #31
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Why? Because that's how you drive a manual. The hand brake isn't just for parking. Its also there in case you get a bump from behind. It minimizes the chance of being shunted into the car in front or under the truck in front. You have to take a driving test to get a licence in the UK. If you ride the clutch or fail to apply the parking brake whenever the car is stationary, even in a traffic queue, you will fail your driving test. I don't know about the US but the differences between a manual and an automatic mean that you can't drive a manual on an automatic license in the UK. You have to take a more stringent test. I'm sure there are good reasons for this. The vast majority of cars in the UK are manual. In fact autos are deemed to be a bit wussy.
It really doesn't make any sense to use the handbrake over the foot brake when stopped unless you lack the skill to quickly transition from brake to throttle without rolling backwards.
Using the hand brake while driving stick is something you do in your first week of learning.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #32
WDE46

Yeah the hand brake usage doesn't make sense to me. Occassional use on hills makes sense but not just sitting in traffic. The normal brakes are better for that and will stop a rear ending better than the hand brake.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
It really doesn't make any sense to use the handbrake over the foot brake when stopped unless you lack the skill to quickly transition from brake to throttle without rolling backwards.
Using the hand brake while driving stick is something you do in your first week of learning.
Well it makes sense to the licensing authorities who set the test criteria so that's all that matters if you want to pass a test in the UK. Its been working for me for nearly 40 years of driving manuals. Its second nature to me. I actually had to think hard about it to write it down. One part of the test is the hill start. You have to park on a steep hill, applying the hand brake, of course. Then you have to set off without stalling, rolling back, over revving or hopping. You fail that you fail the test. Managing the hand brake is an important part of the test.

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-16-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
WDE46

Quote:
Well it makes sense to the licensing authorities who set the test criteria so that's all that matters if you want to pass a test in the UK. Its been working for me for nearly 40 years of driving manuals. Its second nature to me. I actually had to think hard about it to write it down. One part of the test is the hill start. You have to park on a steep hill, applying the hand brake, of course. Then you have to set off without rolling back or hopping. You fail that you fail the test. Managing the hand brake is an important part of the test.
That's the only practical application I can think of. Most people know about it. Technically you could heel-toe and accomplish the same thing, though that's generally for a good downshift.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-16-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
Rotha

handbrakes wear out so quickly though

Quote:
Both BMW greensboro. Difference is, now those idiots can show how stupid they are through social media. And now they have no shame about it. This is why society needs bullying.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #36
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotha View Post
handbrakes wear out so quickly though
They're not exactly expensive or difficult to replace though. Its just a little drum brake inside each rear rotor. The UK are a nation of manual drivers. Americans are a nation of auto drivers. Legally you guys wouldn't be allowed to drive a manual in the UK. I guess its horses for courses.

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-16-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #37
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Well it makes sense to the licensing authorities who set the test criteria so that's all that matters if you want to pass a test in the UK. Its been working for me for nearly 40 years of driving manuals. Its second nature to me. I actually had to think hard about it to write it down. One part of the test is the hill start. You have to park on a steep hill, applying the hand brake, of course. Then you have to set off without rolling back or hopping. You fail that you fail the test. Managing the hand brake is an important part of the test.
If its part of your licensing test, then I won't sit here and disagree with you. Ill just accept that things are different there. I honestly wish driving test were so much stricter over here. To get a license you have to A: breathe oxygen. That's all.

I just never find the need to use my handbrake over my foot brake while driving. It's just not the way I was taught and that's where the difference lies. You drive how you were taught.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #38
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Over here if you get your license on an automatic, you're licensed to drive a manual. Even if you take your test on a manual car, you're not expected to use the handbrake at a hill. A little bit of roll back is not considered to be an issue. Though these days unless the hill is really steep, I can usually get the car going without rolling back or overrevving the car.

If you take the test on one of the newer cars that have automatic hill hold functions, do you still have to use the handbrake on your test? And what about cars that don't have hand brakes?

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-16-2013 at 09:43 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #39
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
If its part of your licensing test, then I won't sit here and disagree with you. Ill just accept that things are different there. I honestly wish driving test were so much stricter over here. To get a license you have to A: breathe oxygen. That's all.

I just never find the need to use my handbrake over my foot brake while driving. It's just not the way I was taught and that's where the difference lies. You drive how you were taught.
Is it really that easy in the US? Here in the UK there are so many ways to fail a driving test its difficult to count them. You can fail if the examiner thinks you didn't use the rear view mirror enough. They are currently talking about adding a motorway driving component to the test even though motorways are by far the safest place to be in a car. They are over the top to be honest. Obsessed with road safety. We have about 1,800 road deaths a year. When you consider there are probably 3 or 4 billion road journies a year that's ridiculously small. Yest the motorist is considered public enemy No 1. We have 6,000 deaths a year in our dirty hospitals. That's people who go into hospital perfectly healthy, catch a bug and die as a result. Something seriously wrong with the priorities in this country.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #40
Rotha

Quote:
I guess its horses for courses.
is that cockney?

Quote: