E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #3521
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,313
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
That video is retarded.
Everybody knows that glass is hard. You can't scratch glass with metal.
And little controlled bangs with a hammer isn't proof.
I thought you posted a video of a guy dropping the phone (waist heigh, not 2 inches) on concrete floor.
Of course he won't do that. It's his property. What I said was it offers some protection against drops. And it does. Like two layers of any other material.

Get your crap out of this thread. Posting here- all the while insinuating somehow that other phones don't have the exact same potential weaknesses.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #3522
Five_seveN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,547
My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Get your crap out of this thread. Posting here- all the while insinuating somehow that other phones don't have the exact same potential weaknesses.
sorry, but i dont see that at all from his posts besides, this is the place to have these arguments anyway
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining any set of responses that ends with anyone expressing admiration for Marshmallow.

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #3523
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,313
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
sorry, but i dont see that at all from his posts besides, this is the place to have these arguments anyway
Oh he said not all iPhones. Not- all iPhones. Whoops.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #3524
boostedisbetter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 1,613
My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
That video is retarded.
Everybody knows that glass is hard. You can't scratch glass with metal.
And little controlled bangs with a hammer isn't proof.
I thought you posted a video of a guy dropping the phone (waist heigh, not 2 inches) on concrete floor.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6M5q5TRuAsY
__________________
carsig
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #3525
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 363
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Of course he won't do that. It's his property. What I said was it offers some protection against drops. And it does. Like two layers of any other material.

Get your crap out of this thread. Posting here- all the while insinuating somehow that other phones don't have the exact same potential weaknesses.

I replied to someone who said a case isn't needed.
Where did I say other phones don't need case, only the iPhone?
__________________
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #3526
CP3
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
That video is retarded.
Everybody knows that glass is hard. You can't scratch glass with metal.
And little controlled bangs with a hammer isn't proof.
I thought you posted a video of a guy dropping the phone (waist heigh, not 2 inches) on concrete floor.
You can scratch glass. I've had nothing come in contact with my glass screen except dust that got caught between my incipio dual pro silicone liner and the glass. There were two light scratches in the glass (possibly in the oleophobic coating or whatever superficial coating is on the glass). Either way, it won't buff out. You only notice it when you hold it in a certain light.
CP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #3527
2000beamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 525
My Ride: 2000 323i
With all due respect; this thread is pointless. If some idiot feels the need to drop his iPhone on a hard surface with no protection at all, more power to him! As we all know, the phone will get scratched/shatter/chipped, and the apple store will probably offer a free replacement as they always do! But why is it worth the hassle?!?! Put a damn case on the thing and you won't have to worry about this!
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
2000beamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #3528
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,313
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3 View Post
You can scratch glass. I've had nothing come in contact with my glass screen except dust that got caught between my incipio dual pro silicone liner and the glass. There were two light scratches in the glass (possibly in the oleophobic coating or whatever superficial coating is on the glass). Either way, it won't buff out. You only notice it when you hold it in a certain light.
How do you know it won't buff out? Or by buff- do you mean wipe with your shirt...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #3529
bry330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal
Posts: 532
My Ride: 2002 330i
Lol y'all bitches bitching about case or no case. Seriously?
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #3530
lab rat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,138
My Ride: '02 330iT
I would never put a case on my phone. What's the point of having this cool thin new toy and not being able to see it?
The phone has been in and out of my pocket for two months. Still looks like new.
__________________
Because sleeper.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #3531
CP3
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
How do you know it won't buff out? Or by buff- do you mean wipe with your shirt...
Because I've tried with a microfiber cloth?
CP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #3532
Five_seveN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,547
My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3 View Post
Because I've tried with a microfiber cloth?
he's gonna come back and say microfiber is not a proper buffing technique but is rather used to clean off fingerprints
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining any set of responses that ends with anyone expressing admiration for Marshmallow.

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #3533
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 958
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
So when you put an iphone (or any touchscreen phone) in your pocket, how do you keep it from pocket-dialing or opening apps or sending the launch codes or whatever?

Is there a simple way to lock the screen that doesn't involve entering your password every time?
__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
As a juror, do you think the trial was a publicity stunt?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #3534
HBizzo88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: california
Posts: 740
My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
So when you put an iphone (or any touchscreen phone) in your pocket, how do you keep it from pocket-dialing or opening apps or sending the launch codes or whatever?

Is there a simple way to lock the screen that doesn't involve entering your password every time?
My phone doesn't turn on through my clothes. Your skin has to touch.

What type of phone do you have????
__________________
HBizzo88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #3535
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 343
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
So when you put an iphone (or any touchscreen phone) in your pocket, how do you keep it from pocket-dialing or opening apps or sending the launch codes or whatever?

Is there a simple way to lock the screen that doesn't involve entering your password every time?
Lol, by hitting the 1 button on the top, then you just slide to unlock without the password.

The password is only turned on after (x) amount of time, which mine is set to 3 hours.
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #3536
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 958
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBizzo88 View Post
My phone doesn't turn on through my clothes. Your skin has to touch.

What type of phone do you have????
One with the launch codes, obviously. DUH

J/k, I currently have a BB that slips into it's little case before I drop it in my pocket. No butt-button pushing here.

But I have an iPad and see how sensitive the screen is. That's what prompts my question about the iPhone in a pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Lol, by hitting the 1 button on the top, then you just slide to unlock without the password.

The password is only turned on after (x) amount of time, which mine is set to 3 hours.
So you just hit the button before you drop it in your pocket, it's a one-touch deal, right?

And then you touch the screen or hit the button again and swipe the little slide thingy to unlock it?
__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
As a juror, do you think the trial was a publicity stunt?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #3537
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,313
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3 View Post
Because I've tried with a microfiber cloth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
he's gonna come back and say microfiber is not a proper buffing technique but is rather used to clean off fingerprints
"Buff" by my definition means to polish. What you did was clean the screen. Not buff it. That's what I was wondering. Had you "buffed" it with some polish I'm sure the scratch would go away- because if you can only see it when the light hits it right that means it probably isn't in the glass itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
So when you put an iphone (or any touchscreen phone) in your pocket, how do you keep it from pocket-dialing or opening apps or sending the launch codes or whatever?

Is there a simple way to lock the screen that doesn't involve entering your password every time?
It's a capacitive screen. So it won't just unlock in your pocket. You have to click the home or lock button- then swipe the screen correctly. I don't think it'd be possible to unlock your phone in your pocket by accident. The screen will work through some clothing, but unless you're wearing silk pants and going commando- it's not likely.

And yeah- you can either have the password set to delayed entry- or not use one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #3538
bry330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal
Posts: 532
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
One with the launch codes, obviously. DUH

J/k, I currently have a BB that slips into it's little case before I drop it in my pocket. No butt-button pushing here.

But I have an iPad and see how sensitive the screen is. That's what prompts my question about the iPhone in a pocket.



So you just hit the button before you drop it in your pocket, it's a one-touch deal, right?

And then you touch the screen or hit the button again and swipe the little slide thingy to unlock it?
u havent held an iphone in your life?
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #3539
JetLif3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Shaolin/Zulu
Posts: 67
My Ride: 2005 BMW 325ci
I just bought my iPhone 5 yesterday, and my computer refuses to recognize it whatsoever. I have Windows 7 and have already tried stopping and restarting Bonjour, and yes I have the current version of iTunes. I have read that the USB cable is sometimes defective, but if that's the case, why doesn't charge in an outlet just fine? Can anyone help me out here?
JetLif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #3540
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,778
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
So is there a jail break yet?
Yes....


....but it hasn't been released to the public. JailBreakNation is a great site to follow.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use