E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #3541
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
"Buff" by my definition means to polish. What you did was clean the screen. Not buff it. That's what I was wondering. Had you "buffed" it with some polish I'm sure the scratch would go away- because if you can only see it when the light hits it right that means it probably isn't in the glass itself.

Told you

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #3542
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLif3 View Post
I just bought my iPhone 5 yesterday, and my computer refuses to recognize it whatsoever. I have Windows 7 and have already tried stopping and restarting Bonjour, and yes I have the current version of iTunes. I have read that the USB cable is sometimes defective, but if that's the case, why doesn't charge in an outlet just fine? Can anyone help me out here?
Some cheap cables charge the phone but won't sync it. Maybe the "security chip" in your cable is bad. I could see the cable charging the phone if that's the case.

Does your phone vibrate and start charging when plugged into the computer? It should still charge via USB even if the cable is defective (in the way that you've described).

Do you have another iPod or iTunes device- to test the functionality of the USB port/iTunes interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
Told you
Forgive me for correcting him. What I said is the truth. Using "buff" when you mean clean is not the same thing at all.

Last edited by Grande D; 01-16-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #3543
Five_seveN

Quote:

Forgive me for correcting him. What I said is the truth. Using "buff" when you mean clean is not the same thing at all.
that's why I posted it

Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #3544
Grande D

Quote:
that's why I posted it
Oh. Oops. It's gotten to the point where whenever someone brings up the iPhone 5 I think they're trying to start something.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #3545
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
It's a capacitive screen. So it won't just unlock in your pocket. You have to click the home or lock button- then swipe the screen correctly. I don't think it'd be possible to unlock your phone in your pocket by accident. The screen will work through some clothing, but unless you're wearing silk pants and going commando- it's not likely.

And yeah- you can either have the password set to delayed entry- or not use one.
OK, thanks. We can talk about underwear habits in another thread.

v8 5, thanks also for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry330i View Post
u havent held an iphone in your life?
Not enough, apparently. I'll turn in my CoolGuy Club membership card at the front desk if that'll make you happy.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #3546
Grande D

In an unfortunate turn of events- my 5 ended up fully submerged for five seconds or so. It worked perfectly, other than the fact that it would restart immediately after being shut off. Put it in rice for a couple of hours and shut it off; it stayed that way. 48 hours later I took it out and it is 100% functional.

This submersion also involved the iPhone being flung into a rock. No damage besides a small ding on the band.

This phone is one tough cookie

Last edited by Grande D; 01-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #3547
Five_seveN

Quote:
In an unfortunate turn of events- my 5 ended up fully submerged for five seconds or so. It worked perfectly, other than the fact that it would restart immediately after being shut off. Put it in rice for a couple of hours and shut it off; it stayed that way. 48 hours later I took it out and it is 100% functional.

This submersion also involved the iPhone being flung into a rock. No damage besides a small ding on the band.

This phone is one tough cookie
surprised the rice was able to dry out the internals seeing as how you cannot disassemble the phone like some Androids

Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #3548
Grande D

Quote:
surprised the rice was able to dry out the internals seeing as how you cannot disassemble the phone like some Androids
I took the sim card out. That allowed a decent place for moisture to escape. I could have popped it open- but I haven't opened a 5 yet and was trying to avoid it. I doubt much moisture even got in. I think the initial problem was water getting in the lock button contact.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #3549
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Any word on jailbreak?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #3550
Five_seveN

Quote:
I took the sim card out. That allowed a decent place for moisture to escape. I could have popped it open- but I haven't opened a 5 yet and was trying to avoid it. I doubt much moisture even got in. I think the initial problem was water getting in the lock button contact.
nice. good peace of mind knowing youre not completely fkd if it comes in contact with water

Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #3551
Solo118

My Ride: '02 330ci, '12 MDX
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
Any word on jailbreak?
It exists, but not ready for primetime.

http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-6-jail...ne-on-ios-6.1/

Edit: Just looked into it a bit further and it looks like its really close!

Gone and will be missed!

Last edited by Solo118; 01-24-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #3552
Shaban

So it's ready, but they won't let the public have it until 6.1 is released? Weird
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #3553
Grande D

Apple is worth less than Exxon again! Since the release of the iPhone 5 their market cap has fallen by approximately $250bn, more than the market cap of companies like Amazon, Microsoft and Google!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #3554
Asher454

My Ride: '04 TiAg 325xi
I have an iPhone 5.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #3555
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
They only have one reliable exploit. They need to keep that a secret so they can use it to dig into future iOS releases for other exploits.

They'll release a jailbreak using a second exploit discovered through the original reliable exploit. And they don't want to release it too early because Apple will just patch the second exploit right before 6.1 release.

Does that make sense?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #3556
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
They only have one reliable exploit. They need to keep that a secret so they can use it to dig into future iOS releases for other exploits.

They'll release a jailbreak using a second exploit discovered through the original reliable exploit. And they don't want to release it too early because Apple will just patch the second exploit right before 6.1 release.

Does that make sense?
Explained for the layman.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #3557
rkhettry23

My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post

Does that make sense?
Absolutely. They want to maximize the amount of time the JB will be "useful". Tons of people mess up their phones and are forced to upgrade. This will make that lifespan longer. They don't want to tip their hand.

2002 325xi--Parted Out
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #3558
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Explained for the layman.
Imagine it was an actual jailbreak. They know how to break out of jail right now, but they also know they'll get caught again (Apple will release a patch that will invalidate the jailbreak). They want to use the knowledge how to break out of jail right now to develop other ways to break out, so that, when they get caught again, they'll have easy ways to get out and keep getting out.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #3559
Volvoguy

My Ride: IS300;Volvo s60T;
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Imagine it was an actual jailbreak. They know how to break out of jail right now, but they also know they'll get caught again (Apple will release a patch that will invalidate the jailbreak). They want to use the knowledge how to break out of jail right now to develop other ways to break out, so that, when they get caught again, they'll have easy ways to get out and keep getting out.
Very good metaphor.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #3560
Shaban

IOS 6.1 was released today! I hope that means a jailbreak will be available VERY soon