E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Obama uses children as pawns to gain postive support for new gun regulation

WASHINGTON (AP) Three days after six teachers and 20 students were killed by a rampaging gunman at a Connecticut elementary school, an 8-year-old Maryland boy pulled out a sheet of paper and wrote President Barack Obama, asking for "some changes in the laws with guns."

"It's a free country but I recommend there needs (to) be a limit with guns," Grant Fritz said in the Dec. 17 letter. "Please don't let people own machine guns or other powerful guns like that."

In the days after the Dec. 14 shooting in Newtown, Conn., children around the country apparently had the same idea as Grant. They put their feelings about the massacre on paper and began sending letters to a receptive White House.

"I am writing to ask you to STOP gun violence," wrote Taejah Goode, a 10-year-old from Georgia. "I am very sad about the children who lost their lives. So, I thought I would write to you to STOP gun violence."

On Wednesday, when Obama announced a package of proposals to reduce gun violence, he was joined on stage by Grant, Taejah and two other children. Each had expressed their concerns about gun violence and school safety to the one person they think can make a difference the president.

Obama read from their letters for the group of Cabinet secretaries, administration officials and others in a White House auditorium for the long-awaited announcement.

"These are some pretty smart letters from some pretty smart young people," Obama said. "So what we should be thinking about, is our responsibility to care for them, and shield them from harm, and give them the tools they need to grow up, and do everything that they're capable of doing. Not just to pursue their own dreams, but to help build this country. This is our first task as a society, keeping our children safe. This is how we will be judged. And their voices should compel us to change."

Obama called on Congress to require background checks for every gun buyer, to ban assault-style weapons and to limit high-capacity ammunition magazines.

Before the announcement, the White House shared letters from Grant, Taejah and 11-year-old Julia Stokes with The Associated Press. None of the writers, including Grant, who is closest in age to the 6- and 7-year-olds killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School, said they opposed efforts to tighten access to guns. The White House did not immediately respond when asked whether it had received letters from children who disagreed with Obama on the need for stricter gun control.

The National Rifle Association, the powerful lobbying group for gun owners, has pledged to fight attempts by Congress to enact new restrictions, viewing such efforts as an infringement on the Second Amendment right to bear arms. Some sportsmen and people who own guns for protection also oppose many gun control laws.

Julia, who lives in the District of Columbia and dotted the "I'' in her name with a heart, wrote that she has four brothers and sisters and "I know I would not be able to bear the thought of losing any of them." She closed her letter by acknowledging that Obama can't make all the changes people want by on his own.

"I know that laws have to be passed by Congress but I beg you to try very hard to make guns not allowed. Not just for me, but for the whole United States," Julia wrote, signing the letter with "my love and regrets."

From the stage, Obama responded: "Julia, I will try very hard."

The White House also did not give a reason for withholding the hometowns for Grant, Taejah and a fourth student also on stage, 8-year-old Hinna Zeejah.

http://news.yahoo.com/letters-childr...120303911.html

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Yes, he's using them as pawns b/c Sandy Hook wasn't an accident
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
Yes, he's using them as pawns b/c Sandy Hook wasn't an accident
Ib4 all the conspiracists

Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Ib4 all the conspiracists
yahoo news isn't much better

Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
yahoo news isn't much better

The article is taken directly from the Associated Press. :p

I never trust Yahoo News directly.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
badfast

My Ride: A Car
God forbid! Children wrote the President a later in an event where 20 children were murdered in a school. Obama read their letters and had the authors of the letters on stage. God forbid! I am disgusted. </s>
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
The White House also did not give a reason for withholding the hometowns for Grant, Taejah and a fourth student also on stage, 8-year-old Hinna Zeejah.
Probably because they would receive threats from the conspiracy crowd.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
God forbid! Children wrote the President a later in an event where 20 children were murdered in a school. Obama read their letters and had the authors of the letters on stage. God forbid! I am disgusted. </s>
It was manipulative and obvious. Anyone who couldn't see through it... well that's weak minded.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
We all know politicians are crocks of sh!t. Anyone with a half brain can see the through the phoniness. The man is never genuine or humble in his actions. As is the case with all modern day politicians. But hey who am I trying to convince someone with Obama goggles on?

And if he cared so much about the "children", he and congress would get our spending under control and bring on the budget cuts so that myself and other young people are not burdened with having to pay back this country's enormous debt for the rest of our lives. Ironic if you ask me.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
My 2 year old nephew is currently drafting a 10 year budget plan. I'm really hoping the president takes it into consideration.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
My 2 year old nephew is currently drafting a 10 year budget plan. I'm really hoping the president takes it into consideration.
I can agree to this. I hope Congress takes it into consideration too

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-16-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
MDydinanM

Quote:
We all know politicians are crocks of sh!t. Anyone with a half brain can see the through the phoniness. The man is never genuine or humble in his actions. As is the case with all modern day politicians. But hey who am I trying to convince someone with Obama goggles on?

And if he cared so much about the "children", he and congress would get our spending under control and bring on the budget cuts so that myself and other young people are not burdened with having to pay back this country's enormous debt for the rest of our lives. Ironic if you ask me.
Like I mentioned in another thread, I think our debt issues should be our number one issue and should take precedence.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Quote:

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
bimmerfan08

Quote:
I'd like to shake this young man's hand and congratulate him on a feat that congress can't seem to accomplish.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
so far it looks kind of like a kitty. Or maybe a cow. I'm really not sure. I'm sure the president will understand, though.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
bimmerfan08

Quote:
so far it looks kind of like a kitty. Or maybe a cow. I'm really not sure. I'm sure the president will understand, though.
Nicely done

Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Both the NRA and Obama ought to back off using children as props and proxies in these sorts of debates.

I found the NRA's personal singling out Obama's own children to try to make their point particularly specious and troubling. Obama's use of children, while perhaps on somewhat firmer grounding, was still inappropriate.

All parties should cease and desist on this.

Last edited by Rhumb; 01-16-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Yea........ Those kids TOTALLY whipped out paper and starting writing out those letters themselves...

Haha. Country has turned into a bunch of mouth breathers
You people fall for anything Holy Sh!t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-16-2013 at 08:30 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Both the NRA and Obama ought to back off using children as props and proxies in these sorts of debates.

I found the NRA's personal singling out Obama's own children to try to make their point particularly specious and troubling. Obama's use of children, while perhaps on somewhat firmer grounding, was still inappropriate.

All parties should cease and desist on this.
That is the closest you have ever come to the center, yet you still lean left a smudge.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
That is the closest you have ever come to the center, yet you still lean left a smudge.
Just noticed that. I think he didn't want to fully admit the truth so he scribbled some of the NRA's wrongdoing in there just to stay slightly left of center.