E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
brokensmile209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 266
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
which bmw scanner can help sloved my problem?

Today i start my car and went inside my house for 10minutes, when i came out my car service engine soon light was on, wth i ask myself, i recently change oil on my car and it been a few thousand mile without problem. I try to resetting the miles back to 15525 on the dashboard and reset the service engine soon light but the service engine soon light didn't go away. I drove the car for 300 miles, i check the remaining miles on my car and it was still at 15525, the miles 15525 didn't even drop after i drive 300 miles after i reset it. Not sure what is going on, so I try to disconnect the battery but when i got to the battery, i can't even disconnect the negative wire that is hook up onto the battery terminal where the negative is hook up too. I know after you loosen the nuts on the negative wire terminal you should be able to pull the negative wire off the battery but that wasn't my case, it was stuck like hell, i pull so hard and almost got my battery ruined, the battery plastic around the battery terminal almost broke off and came out a bit of battery grease. I stop and used a hammer to bang it back down, lucky my car still started or else i'll be paying for a new $200 battery. Worst day ever, i can't even take out my battery. So i need a bmw scanner that can scan and reset my service engine soon light or read the code and tell me what wrong with my car. I went to autozone to get a code read but they bs and say they no longer do that. Which bmw scanner do you guys recommend that will help fix my problem?
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Zchild
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbia, Maryland
Posts: 1,826
My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
I have a Peake R5/FCX 3 scanner for my bimmer; works very well and not very expensive. Just my two and a half cents worth!
__________________
V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
National Capital Chapter BMWCCA
NCC Member Recognition Chairman
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
brokensmile209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 266
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
any more recommend? what about those scanner that used a laptop?
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
bimmernut3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 278
My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmile209 View Post
any more recommend? what about those scanner that used a laptop?
For a simple SES light, I went the 'cheap' way, I bought a blue tooth 'dongle' off ebay for about $12 & down loaded torque lite app for my droid. pair the two, pull code(s), clear code(s) goggle code. Works on my '01 540i, '05 330cic, '96 Z71 truck & wifes '04 Trailblazer. Very simple & cheap. Can also read several items on the car like O2 voltage, coolant temp, RPM's, Speed......
You can go cheap or exspensive, pick your choice.
__________________
'05 330ci

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Blocked Out
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 5,489
My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Carsoft is a cheap one and widely available. Others like INPA , DIS are a bit more expensive and a bit difficult to run. they also need a bit more knowledge to use properly .

I would recommend to get DIS out of all , large variety of features , clear detection of problems and easy to use .

BTW, you can NOT reset check engine light without a diagnostic tool. Disconnecting a battery wont do it, no pressing of any buttons will do it. Just so you know.
__________________
Original BMW Teile ///



====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
bimmernut3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 278
My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Carsoft is a cheap one and widely available. Others like INPA , DIS are a bit more expensive and a bit difficult to run. they also need a bit more knowledge to use properly .

I would recommend to get DIS out of all , large variety of features , clear detection of problems and easy to use .

BTW, you can NOT reset check engine light without a diagnostic tool. Disconnecting a battery wont do it, no pressing of any buttons will do it. Just so you know.
BLOCKED OUT...my droid as mentioned above WILL clear the SES light. Not sure about the "reset" definition.
__________________
'05 330ci

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
Willie00328I
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 386
My Ride: 2000 328I sedan
If you have a iPhone and want to use a scan app you will have to buy a OBD II dongle that transmits in WIFI, they run about $28 on eBay. I found out the hard way when I bought the cheaper $12 Bluetooth dongle, it did not work with my iPhone 4. It does work with the android though.

Willie
Willie00328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
brokensmile209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 266
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Carsoft is a cheap one and widely available. Others like INPA , DIS are a bit more expensive and a bit difficult to run. they also need a bit more knowledge to use properly .

I would recommend to get DIS out of all , large variety of features , clear detection of problems and easy to use .

BTW, you can NOT reset check engine light without a diagnostic tool. Disconnecting a battery wont do it, no pressing of any buttons will do it. Just so you know.
DIS? where can i get DIS? a program i have to buy? how much? or i can download somewhere? or will the Peake R5/FCX 3 scanner do?
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
brokensmile209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 266
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
I have a Peake R5/FCX 3 scanner for my bimmer; works very well and not very expensive. Just my two and a half cents worth!

can you tell me more about this Peake R5/FCX 3 scanner? is this the best plug in play tool to clear my problem?
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
My325XI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 775
My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
I bought a $25 code reader off Amazon. Works great and its for any OBD II vehicle.
__________________

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,925
My Ride: 325Ci
No one recommending BMW scanner 1.4?
OP, if you are looking for a simple to use and easy to understand and set-up scanner buy a BMW scanner 1.4. You can change settings and code your car accordingly as well. Comes from China for $32, takes a little time. Else buy the same from US seller for a little higher price. There is a long thread on the BMW scanner.
DIS, carsoft, INPA are great but a pain to setup and higher chances of messing up if you dont know what you are doing.

For you current problem, go to autozone or such and ask them to read/clear code. They will do it for free.
Also, battery will cost you $100 not $200. At autozone 49DL is the model number, if you dont have a convertible.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #12
brokensmile209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 266
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
No one recommending BMW scanner 1.4?
OP, if you are looking for a simple to use and easy to understand and set-up scanner buy a BMW scanner 1.4. You can change settings and code your car accordingly as well. Comes from China for $32, takes a little time. Else buy the same from US seller for a little higher price. There is a long thread on the BMW scanner.
DIS, carsoft, INPA are great but a pain to setup and higher chances of messing up if you dont know what you are doing.

For you current problem, go to autozone or such and ask them to read/clear code. They will do it for free.
Also, battery will cost you $100 not $200. At autozone 49DL is the model number, if you dont have a convertible.
The new law in California stated that AutoZone can't do that anymore, last time I check with AutoZone I was given a no reply....will have to check out bmw scanner 1.4

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
miweber929
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 91
My Ride: 02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
No one recommending BMW scanner 1.4?
OP, if you are looking for a simple to use and easy to understand and set-up scanner buy a BMW scanner 1.4. You can change settings and code your car accordingly as well. Comes from China for $32, takes a little time. Else buy the same from US seller for a little higher price. There is a long thread on the BMW scanner.
DIS, carsoft, INPA are great but a pain to setup and higher chances of messing up if you dont know what you are doing.

For you current problem, go to autozone or such and ask them to read/clear code. They will do it for free.
Also, battery will cost you $100 not $200. At autozone 49DL is the model number, if you dont have a convertible.
The reason no one is recommending them is the latest batch are crap and are a waste of money. Do yourself a favor and buy one from these shores.

And Autozone will not reset the code, it's against their policy.
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,925
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmile209 View Post
The new law in California stated that AutoZone can't do that anymore, last time I check with AutoZone I was given a no reply....will have to check out bmw scanner 1.4

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
I am aware of the CA law not erasing the code, but I was not aware of not even reading the code.
Some stores here in CO will only read the code and not erase it.
May be try a different store and ask them to read it. Almost all the auto parts store will read the code for free.
You have a OBDII car(same year and model as mine) so any generic scanner can read the code. You do not need a BMW specific scanner. It definitely helps to narrow down a problem but is definitely not a necessity.

OP, your problem is not the scanner, but the code. Get it read at the auto parts store or from someone who has an OBD2 scanner. The SES light can be caused by some small as a loose gas cap to something major.
You can decide on which scanner to get later, but the first thing to do is to know what caused the SES light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929 View Post
The reason no one is recommending them is the latest batch are crap and are a waste of money. Do yourself a favor and buy one from these shores.

And Autozone will not reset the code, it's against their policy.
Are you speaking for the whole community, advising against BMW scanner? It looks like only the people receiving broken items are posting on the threads, whoever receives a working item, they dont post. Only issue is, the one coming from overseas will take more time and more delay if you have to send one back. I believe xcar360 who are the ones coming with this product for cheap is a sponsor on this site now. So, one can directly deal with them.
No offense, but dont bash on a product because someone else couldnt get it to work or got a bad product. Or, did you get a bad one too? They are replicas of the BMW scanner 1.4 from PAsoft, which cost $650. You cant expect to have same level of quality and customer support from the cheaper(super cheap) version.

I am not asking OP to reset the code at auto zone, at least read the code to see what caused it.

I was giving OP a choice since everyone else seemed to give their choices. I bought BMW scanner 1.4 from a US seller paying more than $32($48 to be exact) because I needed it immediately to code my retrofitted xenons. However, the chance of people receiving the broken item from China or Taiwan is same as getting one from US seller. It is the same product with higher mark up price because it is being sold from a seller in the US. I have compared the one from US seller(mine) and the one ordered recently through xcar360(another forum member here). Both are same, even the sticker is attached in the same position(covering the indicator lights).


DIS, INPA, carsoft, etc available over ebay are also cheaper pirated versions. They use vag-com cables modified to work with the stated programs.The Vag-com cables you see for $10 are also the replicas from China, and you have the same chance of getting a bad one.
Plus you can do a lot of damage to the car if you dont know how to use them. I have all those softwares and prefer BMW scanner to read and code simple things on my car. If I have to do something that BMW scanner can't do, then only I resort to INPA.
That is the reason I advised OP on getting a BMW scanner.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
brokensmile209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 266
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I am aware of the CA law not erasing the code, but I was not aware of not even reading the code.
Some stores here in CO will only read the code and not erase it.
May be try a different store and ask them to read it. Almost all the auto parts store will read the code for free.
You have a OBDII car(same year and model as mine) so any generic scanner can read the code. You do not need a BMW specific scanner. It definitely helps to narrow down a problem but is definitely not a necessity.

OP, your problem is not the scanner, but the code. Get it read at the auto parts store or from someone who has an OBD2 scanner. The SES light can be caused by some small as a loose gas cap to something major.
You can decide on which scanner to get later, but the first thing to do is to know what caused the SES light.



Are you speaking for the whole community, advising against BMW scanner? It looks like only the people receiving broken items are posting on the threads, whoever receives a working item, they dont post. Only issue is, the one coming from overseas will take more time and more delay if you have to send one back. I believe xcar360 who are the ones coming with this product for cheap is a sponsor on this site now. So, one can directly deal with them.
No offense, but dont bash on a product because someone else couldnt get it to work or got a bad product. Or, did you get a bad one too? They are replicas of the BMW scanner 1.4 from PAsoft, which cost $650. You cant expect to have same level of quality and customer support from the cheaper(super cheap) version.

I am not asking OP to reset the code at auto zone, at least read the code to see what caused it.

I was giving OP a choice since everyone else seemed to give their choices. I bought BMW scanner 1.4 from a US seller paying more than $32($48 to be exact) because I needed it immediately to code my retrofitted xenons. However, the chance of people receiving the broken item from China or Taiwan is same as getting one from US seller. It is the same product with higher mark up price because it is being sold from a seller in the US. I have compared the one from US seller(mine) and the one ordered recently through xcar360(another forum member here). Both are same, even the sticker is attached in the same position(covering the indicator lights).


DIS, INPA, carsoft, etc available over ebay are also cheaper pirated versions. They use vag-com cables modified to work with the stated programs.The Vag-com cables you see for $10 are also the replicas from China, and you have the same chance of getting a bad one.
Plus you can do a lot of damage to the car if you dont know how to use them. I have all those softwares and prefer BMW scanner to read and code simple things on my car. If I have to do something that BMW scanner can't do, then only I resort to INPA.
That is the reason I advised OP on getting a BMW scanner.
So the bmw scanner can help clear my SES light easy right?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,925
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmile209 View Post
So the bmw scanner can help clear my SES light easy right?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Yes, it will clear the code, as long as you have fixed the problem which made that code appear at the first place.
If something needs to be fixed and you just clear the code, you will get the code back immediately.

Just go to a local auto parts store and get the code read for now. And you can fix it at least. See if any fellow members here in your area can check it out for you. Go to the regional forums and see if someone near you can have a look at it.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
brokensmile209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 266
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Yes, it will clear the code, as long as you have fixed the problem which made that code appear at the first place.
If something needs to be fixed and you just clear the code, you will get the code back immediately.

Just go to a local auto parts store and get the code read for now. And you can fix it at least. See if any fellow members here in your area can check it out for you. Go to the regional forums and see if someone near you can have a look at it.
Yes I will call and ask around town, will have to place a order on the bmw scanner asap, at the hospital at the moment, I really appreciated your help thank you

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
shovelit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 364
My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
I have BMW scanner 1.4 and it works great. Had it for about a month. Cleared codes and changed some coding as well.
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
Zardoz33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 234
My Ride: 2001 325xi
I was thinking about getting a scanner also. Has anyone tried the Creader VI+ ? Only found 1 old thread on it.
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
brokensmile209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 266
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz33 View Post
I was thinking about getting a scanner also. Has anyone tried the Creader VI+ ? Only found 1 old thread on it.

haven't heard of that before but will look into it, look promising on some of the youtube video
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use