E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Letter from a collection agency over a parking ticket?

Today I got in the mail a letter for a collection agency. Saying I Owe the company "precise park link" $100. It has my name address ect and my licence plate number. The letter Came from Saskatoon , A city 3 hours away from me. precise park link does only one Parking lot in my City. Thats SIAST. Its a trade school mixed with a bunch of things. I go there once in awhile to teach TIG welding when they need extra help.

You have to put in two dollars Every day and the machine prints you out a ticket. You place it on your dash or you are given a ticket. I Never did get one. Ive seen the tickets they Issue. Its a piece of paper with the colour plate, and time. Thats it. They dont take pictures of where your parked like a city ticket. I phoned this place and asked about this, then asked if they had proof of my vehicle actually being there.

He didnt really say anything when i asked. All he said was if you dont pay this we will Ruin your credit for the next 10 years as he yelled into the phone. I asked agian " Is there any way you can prove this was my truck parked there? Im sure the guy just wrote down the plate wrong" He replied with " Nope our maids are professionally trained and dont make mistakes" i asked "Your guys? Your the collection agency not the parking company" After a few more questions he hung up on me, After i looked this place up the collection agency and the parking place is only a few block away from each other...My question is, do i have to worry about this or throw it in the trash? They have no proof to say i was parked there without paying. How could this even hurt my credit? Is credit not based on borrowing money and not parking? They have no proof i was even the one that parked the truck, simply because im the owner of the vehicle? It seems like scare tactics to me. Just looks like they are trying to scare me into paying them some cash, when this parking place has no authority to give tickets. What are your guys thoughts

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here

Last edited by E46330iguy; 01-16-2013 at 08:00 PM.
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
ignoring a collections agency is definitely the way to go. They're just bluffing.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
ignoring a collections agency is definitely the way to go. They're just bluffing.

This collection agency is owned or run by the bank, Its owned by the parking company. I have a family member that use to deal in 3rd party collection and basically said its a scam, but wanted the forums thoughts

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Old 01-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
Today I got in the mail a letter for a collection agency. Saying I Owe the company "precise park link" $100. It has my name address ect and my licence plate number. The letter Came from Saskatoon , A city 3 hours away from me. precise park link does only one Parking lot in my City. Thats SIAST. Its a trade school mixed with a bunch of things. I go there once in awhile to teach TIG welding when they need extra help.

You have to put in two dollars Every day and the machine prints you out a ticket. You place it on your dash or you are given a ticket. I Never did get one. Ive seen the tickets they Issue. Its a piece of paper with the colour plate, and time. Thats it. They dont take pictures of where your parked like a city ticket. I phoned this place and asked about this, then asked if they had proof of my vehicle actually being there.

He didnt really say anything when i asked. All he said was if you dont pay this we will Ruin your credit for the next 10 years as he yelled into the phone. I asked agian " Is there any way you can prove this was my truck parked there? Im sure the guy just wrote down the plate wrong" He replied with " Nope our maids are professionally trained and dont make mistakes" i asked "Your guys? Your the collection agency not the parking company" After a few more questions he hung up on me, After i looked this place up the collection agency and the parking place is only a few block away from each other...My question is, do i have to worry about this or throw it in the trash? They have no proof to say i was parked there without paying. How could this even hurt my credit? Is credit not based on borrowing money and not parking? They have no proof i was even the one that parked the truck, simply because im the owner of the vehicle? It seems like scare tactics to me. Just looks like they are trying to scare me into paying them some cash, when this parking place has no authority to give tickets. What are your guys thoughts
Did you park in the paid parking lot without paying?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
pay it and forget about it. i imagine 100 canadian dollars is basically as dear as 100 usd.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Did you park in the paid parking lot without paying?
No thats the thing. I bought the ticket placed it on my dash and at the end of the day i had no ticket on my window, there was almost an identical truck parked next to me and had a ticket, Im guessing the guy who wrote the ticket wrote down the wrong plate but gave the correct vehicle the ticket. They dont have any proof that it was MY truck parked there, Whats stopping the guy that writes these tickets to give his ex girlfriend a ticket saying she was parked there and sending it to the collection agency? They dont take pictures of the vehicles they ticket. Unlike most cities, so if you take it to small claims court they have a picture of the vehicle infront of the no parking sign

Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Honestly I have no idea.

Around here we have Impark and they are a bunch of thieves also.

They basically are allowed to get your contact info from some registery database. So they will know your name, address, and phone number.

When you don't pay the ticket, you just need to make sure you don't park on their lots or they will tow you.

They all claim and say to leave bad credit but who knows if its true.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
Honestly I have no idea.

Around here we have Impark and they are a bunch of thieves also.

They basically are allowed to get your contact info from some registery database. So they will know your name, address, and phone number.

When you don't pay the ticket, you just need to make sure you don't park on their lots or they will tow you.

They all claim and say to leave bad credit but who knows if its true.
My good friend is a sheriff ( Repo man) I talked to him today. If they tow you they only have legal right to remove you from the property, They dont have legal right to impound it, Only the city/ bank does and a police officer must be there at the start of the tow. If the vehicle is towed you can call a sheriff seeing as though they stole your car. He has Legal right to take your car from their lot and return it to you .

Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Have you tried explaining your side of the story to them?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Have you tried explaining your side of the story to them?

Yes i did
Quote:
I phoned this place and asked about this, then asked if they had proof of my vehicle actually being there.

He didnt really say anything when i asked. All he said was if you dont pay this we will Ruin your credit for the next 10 years as he yelled into the phone. I asked agian " Is there any way you can prove this was my truck parked there? Im sure the guy just wrote down the plate wrong" He replied with " Nope our maids are professionally trained and dont make mistakes" i asked "Your guys? Your the collection agency not the parking company" After a few more questions he hung up on me

Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
If it was me I'd just pay the $100 and try to forget about it.

If it was more, then I'd fight it.

Then again... the reason they're only asking $100 is because they probably know most people won't fight it.....

AHH! I don't know. Haha.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
You are in canada, so our US laws won't really help you.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
If it was me I'd just pay the $100 and try to forget about it.

If it was more, then I'd fight it.

Then again... the reason they're only asking $100 is because they probably know most people won't fight it.....

AHH! I don't know. Haha.
Thats the attitude most people have but i worked hard to make that money, Regardless of how much the ticket is, Why do they deserve it because they made a mistake. If i have to ill take it to small claims court

Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Quote:
My good friend is a sheriff ( Repo man) I talked to him today. If they tow you they only have legal right to remove you from the property, They dont have legal right to impound it, Only the city/ bank does and a police officer must be there at the start of the tow. If the vehicle is towed you can call a sheriff seeing as though they stole your car. He has Legal right to take your car from their lot and return it to you .
Around here its different. They tow you and to get your car back you have to pay the towing charge, and any owing amount.

But who knows you might be right that they are not allowed to legally impound it but most people probably don't know their rights.

Regarding the credit report. You should probably call a credit bureau and ask.

I know that you can bad credit if you don't pay your bank loans, mortgage, credit cards, etc. However if you pay your cell phone bill late, they don't report to the credit bureaus.

So for a stupid situation like yours I would call a credit agency and ask to be sure.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
Around here its different. They tow you and to get your car back you have to pay the towing charge, and any owing amount.

But who knows you might be right that they are not allowed to legally impound it but most people probably don't know their rights.

Regarding the credit report. You should probably call a credit bureau and ask.

I know that you can bad credit if you don't pay your bank loans, mortgage, credit cards, etc. However if you pay your cell phone bill late, they don't report to the credit bureaus.

So for a stupid situation like yours I would call a credit agency and ask to be sure.
It really depends on the situation, if you are parked on a private lot and the owner wants your car towed they cant legal impound it but the police can

Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
I've had this happen. Forgot to pay a parking ticket the week I was moving. Got a call eight months later from the biggest douche bags I've ever talked to (collections agency)...they originally wanted like $350 for a $25 ticket, but agreed to $75.

I also had this happen on my I-Pass (tolls) but it was directly with I-Pass. They literally sent me a bill for $3,700 for tolls a year prior. I called and said that I had just gotten a new card, went through a few tolls before I activated the new one, and they agreed to settle it for the amount of the tolls... was $17 and change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
tl;dr
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
tl;dr
Then whats the point of even posting

Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Then whats the point of even posting
To be an a$$hle in typical fashion.

2002 M3