E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #41
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
If he lags and you crash, he'll probably respawn in another car.
This isn't feasible yet.. and it goes hand in hand with the automated driving thing..

GPS.. accurate mappings of roads, etc..

%99.5 is taken care of by people in a "call center"... the rest is GPS, computer programming, etc..

as much as i hate to say it. eventually... computers will be able to drive cars with a lower accident percentage than people... once that happens.. once that happens... insurance will get on board. less accidents for automated cars than real people..
it will be rocky at first. large cities, then small cities..............

i am probably crazy and wrong..

i want to to drive my car. i like driving..
but.. if i decide to get drunk, or do other drugs.. then, why not let me car drive me back... especially if there is a real person controlling it...

in the short term.. it will be "cool"... i drove a guy's maseratti back from the bar.. or an m3. or a tesla type s. or anything..

it won't work with manual cars. but... the huge number of "drive by wire" cars.. done... i need to go to toyota, and work it out on lame ass cars..

saturn used to be the car company for people that hate cars. it is the prius now..

do you trust prius drivers more, or some guy in a call center who is driving their car as part of their job?
think about it.. just think....
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #42
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0482 View Post
I have a more realistic option, and I don't care if anyone steals my idea anymore..
Outsource your driving to India, Mexico, even Indiana..
Someone sits in a cubicle, you grant them access to your car.. they drive it remotely using some computer monitors, and a desk mounted steering wheel, brake and gas pedal...
If you get drunk and need a ride home, pay $20, some dude in Bangalore drives your car back while you sleep in the driver's seat.. just hope that the internet doesn't lag too bad or cut out in the process.. (so.. the "audi", automated thing can help out for the few seconds here and there of internet issues)..
For anyone who's had experience with R/C cars (or heli's, planes, etc. Even with autopilot and stabilization) will know just how difficult it is to try and drive/Control a moving object from a relatively short distance without ever crashing/bumping into anything...

And, that's without any signal lag.
I hate to see what would happen when it's done half a world away > Even Experienced race car drivers or commercial pilots can't drive/land without bumping into something sometimes (and in a machines they are very familiar in) I can't imagine what some under paid kid at a call center will do with your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0482 View Post
This isn't feasible yet.. and it goes hand in hand with the automated driving thing..

GPS.. accurate mappings of roads, etc..

%99.5 is taken care of by people in a "call center"... the rest is GPS, computer programming, etc..

as much as i hate to say it. eventually... computers will be able to drive cars with a lower accident percentage than people... once that happens.. once that happens... insurance will get on board. less accidents for automated cars than real people..
it will be rocky at first. large cities, then small cities..............

i am probably crazy and wrong..

i want to to drive my car. i like driving..
but.. if i decide to get drunk, or do other drugs.. then, why not let me car drive me back... especially if there is a real person controlling it...

in the short term.. it will be "cool"... i drove a guy's maseratti back from the bar.. or an m3. or a tesla type s. or anything..

it won't work with manual cars. but... the huge number of "drive by wire" cars.. done... i need to go to toyota, and work it out on lame ass cars..

saturn used to be the car company for people that hate cars. it is the prius now..

do you trust prius drivers more, or some guy in a call center who is driving their car as part of their job?
think about it.. just think....
From what has already occurred with our economy from outsourcing... manufacturing, IT/networking, credit card processing, I hate to see what will happen once we give up control of our own vehicles to distance "call-center" in india or other cheap labor force, ie: south africa...

Mental exercise, image this >
1. If a Bank wanted to take your vehicle back from one late payment... They'll be more than happy to give said "call center" company a buzz to have your car repo'd from ANYwhere! Possibly leaving you, your wife/daughter/son stranded in a place of danger.

2. If a business property has vague "No parking" sign(s) on their premises...
Instead of calling for a shady local tow truck company to remove your vehicle, Just give remote-driver-company a call. Again leaving you stranded without recourse.
Because who are you going to call to get your vehicle back? A local tow company or more likely make long distance international calls to india to ask or explain where your vehicle has been moved???

3. If a car dealership (or USED car dealer) wanted to "reclaim" your vehicle because there was a "mistake" in YOUR finances that "they didn't catch earlier" or some other dirty scam... Boom! You can bet your pretty underwear they'll give said call-center a friendly reminder to have your ride repo'd, remotely!

Be careful what you wish for...
Some food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.k View Post
The only people I could see that would use this are the ones that are super loaded and don't give a sh1t about what could happen to the car once it drives off.
+1
That's why those people have butlers and valets drive & park their rides since the age of the chariots.
Just saying..

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 01-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #43
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
From what has already occurred with our economy from outsourcing... manufacturing, IT/networking, credit card processing, I hate to see what will happen once we give up control of our own vehicles to distance "call-center" in india or other cheap labor force, ie: south africa...

Mental exercise, image this >
1. If a Bank wanted to take your vehicle back from one late payment... They'll be more than happy to give said "call center" company a buzz to have your car repo'd from ANYwhere! Possibly leaving you, your wife/daughter/son stranded in a place of danger.

2. If a business property has vague "No parking" sign(s) on their premises...
Instead of calling for a shady local tow truck company to remove your vehicle, Just give remote-driver-company a call. Again leaving you stranded without recourse.
Because who are you going to call to get your vehicle back? A local tow company or more likely make long distance international calls to india to ask or explain where your vehicle has been moved???

3. If a car dealership (or USED car dealer) wanted to "reclaim" your vehicle because there was a "mistake" in YOUR finances that "they didn't catch earlier" or some other dirty scam... Boom! You can bet your pretty underwear they'll give said call-center a friendly reminder to have your ride repo'd, remotely!

Be careful what you wish for...
Some food for thought.
Make the payments on your car. And you have no proof of things like this happening outside of movies. "From what has already been occurred"

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Last edited by Grande D; 01-12-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #44
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
^
yeah Face-palming my grammar... Good early morning to you too.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #45
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Audi receives two US awards for piloted parking
  • System for piloted parking in parking garages convinces the experts
  • Ricky Hudi: “Our technologies save the driver both time and effort.”
  • In future Audi cars will automatically find the nearest available parking space
The technologies that Audi is developing for its future piloted driving system have been highly acclaimed by US experts. The “Popular Science” magazine has named the Audi system for piloted parking in parking garages “Product Of The Future.” The editorial team is thus recognizing the most significant developments presented by Audi at the Consumer Electronics Show 2013 (CES) in Las Vegas.

The new Audi system was also commended as “Best Automotive Technology” at this year’s CES by specialized media network “The Verge.” Ricky Hudi, Head of Electrics/Electronics Development at Audi: “The awards acknowledge our development work and show that we are on the right track.”

The system is about to enter the practical phase – Audi is currently in the process of equipping a parking garage in Ingolstadt with the necessary technology. With the new technology, cars can maneuver autonomously in and out of parking spaces in above-ground and underground parking garages. The driver activates the function with the aid of a smartphone app. The parking garage’s central computer takes over part of the control function and guides the vehicle via WLAN to the nearest available parking space.

Laser sensors in the parking garage record the car’s movements; the computer processes these together with additional movement data to produce the precise location of the vehicle. It also has a map of the parking garage and registers which parking spaces are occupied. It uses this information to plan the route – thus ensuring that the vehicle has an unobstructed path from the starting point to its destination. For its part, the car monitors its surroundings while on the move by means of 12 ultrasonic sensors; in future, four video cameras will also be used.

Audi is working all out on a host of piloted driving technologies. They will not only assist the driver in the parking garage, but also in traffic jams and when maneuvering into parking spots and in small garages – whenever required.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #46
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
It is pretty trick though......you must admit!
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #47
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Should roll out in new Q7 and Q5 first, not A8L or R8 or RS6...
Old 01-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #48
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
!

Installed on this Audi A7, Piloted Parking allows a driver to drop themselves off and have the car autonomously drive away on its own and find its own parking spot. The car can then later be retrieved by "calling" it back with a specially designed smartphone app.

Read more at autoblog
Look at 1:02 of the video. Does anyone else notice that as soon as the car takes off, it cuts the wheel and is about to drive straight into the curb / sensor?

Didn't read the whole thread if this has already been brought up...
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #49
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3Duke View Post
Look at 1:02 of the video. Does anyone else notice that as soon as the car takes off, it cuts the wheel and is about to drive straight into the curb / sensor?

Didn't read the whole thread if this has already been brought up...
Dude, technology like this existed 5 years ago: http://www.streetfire.net/video/126-...bmw_180380.htm

Do you think a modern Audi would hit a curb going at 5mph with current technology? Just imagine what will be possible in another 5 years.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #50
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
This is witchcraft
Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #51
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
I read that this software required a Wi-Fi connection to be able to operate (even though it will probably evolve into 3G or 4G before this even becomes available to the public); so why is it worth the extra thousands of dollars just to risk the car being pulled over for an expired tag or not being able to find a parking space or losing the Internet connection it requires to be able to function? And people wonder why America has so much obesity! Park you damn car!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #52
BMWh0r3

My Ride: 325CIvic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
That moment when you step out of the door, notice that your phone's battery is dead and you have no ****ing idea where your car is.
my luck would be to pull up, get out of the car, and lock my damn phone inside it with the keys. then what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06E46M3 View Post
come on jonjon, the woman couldnt have been driving because the car isnt 3 blocks away upside down in a ditch
why wasn't she in the kitchen?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #53
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
at 1:01 soon as it started auto driving it went right for the curb then the video cut ... lol
Old 01-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #54
915bimmer

My Ride: e quatro seiz
Mati 'Teo's girlfriend was driving that car!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #55
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
would suck to get stuck behind that car cuz it took forever to park.
HAHA, no sh*t that thing is sooooo fvcking slow! I'd be so angry if stuck behind it, and I might have to call 911 cause like there's no driver in there and it's moving!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #56
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 915bimmer View Post
mati 'teo's girlfriend was driving that car!
lol
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #57
ZimZimma328Ci

My Ride: Mopar
Send a message via AIM to ZimZimma328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
That moment when you step out of the door, notice that your phone's battery is dead and you have no ****ing idea where your car is.
Bahahaha That would be my luck. But this feature is definitely amazing technology! I would love it...as long as I could teach it not to park in between other cars, or move itself if someone pulled in the park beside it.