E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
cbage55

My Ride: 325I
Bluetooth, streaming music through bluetooth and Iphone connection

Hello-
I purchased the Dice mediabridge 1500 and I just installed it. There is a loud ticking when text is scrolling and the bluetooth says "phone linked" whenever I switch songs or do anything on my phone. It is like it disconnects the bluetooth and reconnects all the time. Is there a better solution to the Dice? Please let me know becuase I really want to return this. I want bluetooth through the steering wheel controls, streaming music from iphone through bluetooth and using steering wheel controls, etc. Basically everything the dice does, but without all the bugs i comes with. Thanks
cbage55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Not sure this is a better solution, but it is an option.

Make or buy yourself an Aux input cable for your head unit.

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Au...+E46+aux+input

Then buy one of the Belkin units. Supports A2DP, Bluetooth hands free phone calls and you can skip and pause music with the device.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetoo...music+receiver

Issues to be aware of -

1. you probably want to power the unit from the radio or switched power so it stays on when you turn the car off but goes to sleep or shut off when the radio shuts off. Also this will kill the BT connection when you leave the car. I was somewhere yesterday and I was hanging outside the car, BT still connected, however, my phone still rings and when I answered the call I could not hear, took me a moment to realize the BT link was still active.

2. you have to push the button to resycn the phone each time you enter the car.

3. If you are not listening to the Aux source like Pandora or a playlist, if a phone call comes in it will not mute your current audio from the radio or CD player. Most phones will ring anyway when BT is connected so you will need to pay attention, then bring up Aux on your head unit to use the hand free connection.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I have the DICE Bluetooth mediabridge and I am extremely happy with it. It actually made me look forward to driving my car again. The ticking you hear can be eliminated by turning off the scroll feature or by shortening a set of wires behind the radio. There is a DIY somewhere here for that. Also, you can change the announcement settings in the unit so it doesn't annoy you with the British accent.

There really isn't any other good option besides the Bluetooth mediabridge for the features you're looking for. There are combinations of other systems, but I have to say I am satisfied with my mediabridge. Try reseating the main connector on yours as well. One big feature I like about my mediabridge is that once I start the car, my phone instantly connects and I have full control through the steering wheel.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
JFOJ, when you say you should wire this into the radio, is that because the 12v cigarette plug is powered even when the car is off? Should I just cut the adapter off the Belkin and wire it to the 12V accessory wires?
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
BimminLSB///M3

My Ride: M3
I just purchased a Grom Audio device, has aux, bluetooth, usb charging, everything I wanted for not a bad price $124.99.
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_a...connector.html

Last edited by BimminLSB///M3; 01-17-2013 at 08:58 AM.
BimminLSB///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimminLSB///M3 View Post
I just purchased a Grom Audio device, has aux, bluetooth, usb charging, everything I wanted for not a bad price $124.99.
Plus a $50 bluetooth dongle. That's way too expensive.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
BimminLSB///M3

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Plus a $50 bluetooth dongle. That's way too expensive.
No. The price is $74.99 BEFORE adding a $50 bluetooth dongle. My total was $125 which includes bluetooth.

The Belkin Bluetooth module on Amazon is $70.
BimminLSB///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
There are plenty of other aftermarket stereos with Bluetooth linking to the iPhone. The iPhone should link automatically every time the unit is powered on, with these units. There are also device interface's that will let you hook up your steering wheel controls to most aftermarket stereos, as long as the stereo has that capability built in. The easiest way to get advice on this would be to call Crutchfield. You don't necessarily have to buy from them, you can just take their advice, and buy elsewhere. I found that Amazon usually has lower prices than Crutchfield on most units.
BTW - February is the best month for buying this sort of stuff, since the new models are released at CES, which just wrapped up. You can get a good deal on last years models, which are usually no different on features, they just update the looks.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
ngillan

My Ride: Is Blacked Out
sub'd

'02 325ci
Smoked Turn Signals, Tail Lights, and Side Markers, 17"CSL Replicas, Plasti-Dip Grille and Reflectors, Carbon Fiber Wrapped Pillars
Replaced Water Pump, Expansion Tank, Power Steering Pump, Drivebelt Pully, ABS Control Module, Passenger Window Regulator, VCG

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
There are plenty of other aftermarket stereos with Bluetooth linking to the iPhone. The iPhone should link automatically every time the unit is powered on, with these units. There are also device interface's that will let you hook up your steering wheel controls to most aftermarket stereos, as long as the stereo has that capability built in. The easiest way to get advice on this would be to call Crutchfield. You don't necessarily have to buy from them, you can just take their advice, and buy elsewhere. I found that Amazon usually has lower prices than Crutchfield on most units.
BTW - February is the best month for buying this sort of stuff, since the new models are released at CES, which just wrapped up. You can get a good deal on last years models, which are usually no different on features, they just update the looks.
I don't want a new head unit. I'm looking for things similar to the Belkin. There is another one called a Tunelink that does a similar thing. I already have an aux input so I'm basically looking for solutions to wire into that and a 12v source.

Quote:
No. The price is $74.99 BEFORE adding a $50 bluetooth dongle. My total was $125 which includes bluetooth.

The Belkin Bluetooth module on Amazon is $70.
That's not too bad then.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-17-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
WDE46

**** I just found this post:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=423044

Apparently you can just buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tofgamonlco-20

My car is equipped for the iPod so I can just plug this into the cord. HAHAHAH AMAZING! Now I forget if I uninstalled the iPod thing when I put in my aux cable. I hope I didn't!

EDIT: If this link expires, the product is simply a small adapater that plugs into an Apple 30 pin connector and makes it bluetooth!

Last edited by WDE46; 01-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I have the DICE Bluetooth mediabridge and I am extremely happy with it. It actually made me look forward to driving my car again. The ticking you hear can be eliminated by turning off the scroll feature or by shortening a set of wires behind the radio. There is a DIY somewhere here for that. Also, you can change the announcement settings in the unit so it doesn't annoy you with the British accent.

There really isn't any other good option besides the Bluetooth mediabridge for the features you're looking for. There are combinations of other systems, but I have to say I am satisfied with my mediabridge. Try reseating the main connector on yours as well. One big feature I like about my mediabridge is that once I start the car, my phone instantly connects and I have full control through the steering wheel.
shorting a set of wires behind the radio?
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
WDE46

I just ordered this:

Patuoxun Bluetooth A2DP Music Audio Receiver Adapter for 30-Pin iPod iPhone Dock Speaker

and this:

Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone

My car has the OEM iPod connector installed. This adapter was made before Apple switched it's devices to the USB charging format (old was firewire). Therefore, the current adapter won't power this bluetooth adapter that was made for the USB charging iPhone 3G and up. So you use this charging adapter so the BT adapter can get power. This is going to be incredible.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Chriis325i

My Ride: Now:325xi Past:325i
I have a 2002 325i Business radio No Bluetooth. If I buy this with the bluetooth will I have the full bluetooth functions with the steering wheel and all?
Quote:
Chriis325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
WDE46

E46 iPhone 5 Bluetooth

I am reporting back on my experiment. I have installed the items from my post above. It works perfectly. The audio quality is quite good and comparable to the aux in hard wire. Here's a picture of the ridiculously simple setup. It took less than 30 seconds.

I should add that steering wheel controls don't work. At least not in pandora. I haven't used the "music" app yet.

BMW VIN Decoder

Last edited by WDE46; 01-21-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

My Ride: BMW 325 xi
I am just looking to keep oem CD player in 2002 325 xi and add aux I'm confused with all the option tossed around what may be the BEST not necessarily easiest or cheapest experience for adding Bluetooth tech and wanting to keep the steering wheel controls...?
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou3viLL3sLuGGa View Post
I am just looking to keep oem CD player in 2002 325 xi and add aux I'm confused with all the option tossed around what may be the BEST not necessarily easiest or cheapest experience for adding Bluetooth tech and wanting to keep the steering wheel controls...?
I think the DICE media bridge may be your best bet. That or what was posted above by another member.

BMW VIN Decoder
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

My Ride: BMW 325 xi
Thanks I'm leaning toward that but I'm seeing a ton of mixed reviews on the mediabridge and I can do w/I Bluetooth but won't give up steering wheel controls and would prefer to see text on CD player through iPod or aux..
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
gorgerax

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Thanks I'm leaning toward that but I'm seeing a ton of mixed reviews on the mediabridge and I can do w/I Bluetooth but won't give up steering wheel controls and would prefer to see text on CD player through iPod or aux..
FWIW, My recommendation is to stay away from the Mediabridge. (Actually now its the "Audiovox; driven by Dice Electronics Mediabridge) I've had 3 in the last year and all three have failed in way way or the other. The first one lasted @ 2-3 months before it crapped out and the other two had issues right away (Only one channel worked, would not pair, etc.

I was in a local car stereo shop in Portland last week looking for other options to have bluetooth and to integrate with the steering wheel controls. I noticed they were an Audiovox dealer and was surprised the sales guy never mentioned or suggested the Mediabridge. The owner came over and said he had sold 6 units and ended up "buying back" 4 of them.
gorgerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
gorgerax

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
FWIW, My recommendation is to stay away from the Mediabridge. (Actually now its the "Audiovox; driven by Dice Electronics Mediabridge) I've had 3 in the last year and all three have failed in way way or the other. The first one lasted @ 2-3 months before it crapped out and the other two had issues right away (Only one channel worked, would not pair, etc.

I was in a local car stereo shop in Portland last week looking for other options to have bluetooth and to integrate with the steering wheel controls. I noticed they were an Audiovox dealer and was surprised the sales guy never mentioned or suggested the Mediabridge. The owner came over and said he had sold 6 units and ended up "buying back" 4 of them.
gorgerax is offline   Reply With Quote