E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Shockingtaco

My Ride: 2004 330I ZHP
Oil Valve Gasket + First Post

Just purchased my first car, 04' 330i ZHP, extremely happy with car and i'm excited to be able to join the community! Just have a question hope you guys could offer me some advice.

I just recently purchased a 330i zhp and so far I'm really happy with it, I took it in to get an inspection the other day and everything seems pretty much fine except for the oil valve gasket which has a slight leak onto the heat shield. I noticed this pretty much as soon as I got the car, mainly just a faint smell of oil after the car is off, no leaking, no smoke. Is this a problem I should repair as quickly as possible or something that doesn't need instant attention?
Shockingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Congrats and welcome. My best advice is to see the links in my sig and do it all--especially those items you have no proof of.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockingtaco View Post
Just purchased my first car, 04' 330i ZHP, extremely happy with car and i'm excited to be able to join the community! Just have a question hope you guys could offer me some advice.

I just recently purchased a 330i zhp and so far I'm really happy with it, I took it in to get an inspection the other day and everything seems pretty much fine except for the oil valve gasket which has a slight leak onto the heat shield. I noticed this pretty much as soon as I got the car, mainly just a faint smell of oil after the car is off, no leaking, no smoke. Is this a problem I should repair as quickly as possible or something that doesn't need instant attention?
Congrats on your new ride.
Its not a problem unless you run the engine with low oil for a long time.
Just check the oil level regularly, 5 minutes after you turn off the engine.
The oil light will come orange after you turn off the engine if you are about half a quart low, and oil light will come orange while driving if you are a quart low.
That is if the sensor is working correctly and you dont want to check the dipstick too often.

Leaky VCG is a well known problem for us, and I have tried many times to fix it on mine. Now, I just keep on topping up the oil till it gets warm enough to work on it. I will just change the Valve cover itself, since 2 sets of new gaskets didnt resolve the issue.

I'd say do VCG, spark plugs and VANOS seals together if you dont have records of the later two.
I like working on one side of the engine at a time.
Do a search on DIY for VANOS, VCG and spark plugs. You will get information on the part numbers and how to's.

Read Mango's thread and prioritize what you have to do first.
Sometimes Mango can go a little overboard on maintenance but he has saved many cars from potential disasters. So, do what you feel needs to be done after reading his threads. Mango
Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
It's important to know to completely avoid the Victor Reinz replacement VCG.

These have a recent history of numerous leaks in short order after installation.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
It's important to know to completely avoid the Victor Reinz replacement VCG.

These have a recent history of numerous leaks in short order after installation.
+1 on that

I replaced the first victor reinz with elring gasket and still have a leak. Next will be OE gasket with a new VC.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Shockingtaco

My Ride: 2004 330I ZHP
Thanks for the help, much appreciated, i'm thinking about switching the spark plugs , so far thats #1 on my list, should be pretty easy... However I will probably need to do a bit more research on the VCG DIY beforehand.
Shockingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Of course you don't touch the VCG to do the plugs.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
borrelli49

My Ride: 323ci
i had a pretty decent leak coming from my valve cover gasket. i pulled it off and it broke apart like plastic. So i put a new Fel-pro on it last night. only took 45 min or so. anyone that does not know much about cars should be able to do it.
borrelli49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first post, maintenace, oil burning