E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #81
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
"if you know Marisa Tomei, bring her along."

I met Marisa once. Just as nice in person as in the movies. Only wish your gig were not 100 miles away. If you do something in Connecticut, please post.

And good luck with it!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #82
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteg View Post
well played sir
Not that it matters...I'm going to lose this year's poll to Mango...and whoever those other guys are...SolidJake and Cyberkaa.

I think I'm going to start offering cash for people to vote for me, but please don't tell Mango...especially since he voted for me!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #83
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Not that it matters...I'm going to lose this year's poll to Mango...and whoever those other guys are...SolidJake and Cyberkaa.

I think I'm going to start offering cash for people to vote for me, but please don't tell Mango...especially since he voted for me!
If you buy me an aluminum water pump pulley I'll vote for you.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #84
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoetz628 View Post
"if you know Marisa Tomei, bring her along."

I met Marisa once. Just as nice in person as in the movies. Only wish your gig were not 100 miles away. If you do something in Connecticut, please post.

And good luck with it!!!
Marisa? Okay, I take back everything nasty I said about you...you can be #1 on my gay list...even above Obama...but you have to please get this message to her:

"Marisa, I know you'd love taking a drive with me in my e46 manual. Please read all my Fanatic's posts and you'll learn how deep my love for you is. Also, I make a Quiche Lorraine that every woman who's ever eaten, has then made passionate love to me. True story. Do you like quiche, Marisa?"

Do this for me, and you and I are forever!

/threadjack

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #85
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Marisa? Okay, I take back everything nasty I said about you...you can be #1 on my gay list...even above Obama...but you have to please get this message to her:

"Marisa, I know you'd love taking a drive with me in my e46 manual. Please read all my Fanatic's posts and you'll learn how deep my love for you is. Also, I make a Quiche Lorraine that every woman who's ever eaten, has then made passionate love to me. True story. Do you like quiche, Marisa?"

Do this for me, and you and I are forever!

/threadjack
threadjack + 1 - Listen, if I could get that message to Marisa today, I would. But I sure as hell wouldn't mention anything about you!

Yeah, she was a sweetheart the night I met her. Omg, I'd gladly give up your car for her
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #86
dmax

Quote:
threadjack + 1 - Listen, if I could get that message to Marisa today, I would. But I sure as hell wouldn't mention anything about you!

Yeah, she was a sweetheart the night I met her. Omg, I'd gladly give up your car for her
She's not your type...I just know. If you want a chance of being in her good graces, you should act on my behalf...I'll make sure you get some time with her...don't worry about that.

...and to get thread back on track...

Repeat...drive like a truck in traffic...hold back, be patient, just imagine yourself as 3200 lbs. of killing power! Relax, listen to NPR, look at friendly people stuck in traffic with you, don't ride the clutch, and don't try to fight people that want to get in front of you...just cruise in 1st, off the gas, and you'd be surprised at how little you need to shift.

A recent set

Old 01-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #87
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I've never actually heard of anyone who was tested for parallel parking in their driver's test. It seems to be a common driver's test stereotype that every teen struggles with the parallel parking part of the test. It's somewhat of a joke. Watch any movie or show where a teen is taking a driver's test and they always stress out about parallel parking.
I live in the middle of nowhere PA. There is almost no place to parallel park even if I wanted to. I was still tested on parallel parking. And as I said earlier, it was just about the only part they took seriously on the test.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #88
BluBurry

My Ride: 01' Topaz 330i
Quote:
And another thing... We do things a little differently than in the UK. Not better or worse. Just different. And even though they have the steering wheel on the wrong side, the fact that they never acquired a taste for automatics is a great thing. I'm sure most here with automatics do a superb job of driving. But the average American driver is an idiot behind the wheel and, in my opinion, much of that comes from isolation, or lack of driver involvement. And the number one item that allows for this lack of involvement is the gd automatic transmission. So kudos to the Brits for their manuals, and who cares whether you call it a parking brake, emergency brake, or hand brake.

I agree here. I bought an auto for this specific reason, I wanted to be driven around and not have to worry about shifting or traffic. I tracked and daily'd a modded S2000 6 years prior to this car. I wanted the complete opposite, so i bought a 4-door auto. That being said, I'm a very alert driver. I don't have my hand on the radio or texting ,now that I don't have to shift.
BluBurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #89
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
"Most cars don't even have hand brakes anyway. They have a foot actuated parking/emergency brake that works with a ratcheting motion like a hand brake." Jeez. You sure you are not talking about dodgem cars?

So its a handbrake that you activate with your foot?

The topic is manual gears not automatic. But the last time I drove an auto, which was many years ago, I recall there being a P position that would lock the vehicle when in traffic. It was one up from N (neutral) and two up from D (drive) . I still had a hand brake though. Again no need to sit with your foot on the brake pedal and your brake lights blinding and annoying the crap out of the driver behind you.

"I think you are the odd man out on your driving habits." Obviously. I'm British. We know how to drive manuals. We have to demonstrate it to the authorities before we are allowed to.
My cousin had a manual transmission car (VW Passat CC) that had no had brake. Only an electronic parking brake.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #90
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Over here we learn the two-pedal method... from Parappa the Rappa

Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #91
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Just be like most asssholes that drive WRX STI's and rev the engine at 2-3k just to move up 10 feet
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #92
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Just be like most asssholes that drive WRX STI's and rev the engine at 2-3k just to move up 10 feet
At least the ones I've driven had ridiculously sensitive throttles. Just lightly touch it and it goes right to 2k.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-16-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #93
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
At least the ones I've driven had ridiculously sensitive throttles. Just lightly touch it and it goes right to 2k.
Lol, true.

I test drove a wrx sti and accidentally revved the engine to 4k just to move from a stop.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #94
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I live in the middle of nowhere PA. There is almost no place to parallel park even if I wanted to. I was still tested on parallel parking. And as I said earlier, it was just about the only part they took seriously on the test.
I think my car's PO never learned to parallel park, but practiced at it a lot!

Every one of my wheels look like this. (Mango, don't comment on the dirt. I've driven 400+ miles in the last three days and haven't had a chance to wash the car yet.)

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #95
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
OP, drive it like it's a truck. Keep your distance, don't feel like you need to keep spaces tight to prevent others from getting in...just let them pass.

I've been driving a manual longer than most here I'd bet.

Also, when you're off the gas, remember that those behind you assume everyone has an auto and uses brakes to slow down...in faster traffic when I 'lift' off gas, if someone is close behind, I'll tap brakes lightly a few times...just to make sure the guy behind sees a brake light.

You know, you can cruise in 1st without giving it any gas, right? Maybe 3-4 mph...if not slower. Even in NYC traffic, with enough distance in front, I can usually stay in gear a lot of the time.

HTH
this is exactly how I drive.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote