E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #161
z00
Banned User

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
But the point from doing dips is to workout chest and tris. There is no need to go all the way down to workout shoulders. Even without weights, my shoulders ache when I go all the way down.

Two moves that strain shoulders for most people. Behind the head pull-downs and going all the way down on dips. For the lucky few who don't have shoulder issues, they can do those moves. They'll benefit from it like you're saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
My point is that going past parallel is good prehab to prevent shoulder issues. If there is pain, lower the weight and work your way up using the full range of motion.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #162
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Not going past parallel is a no rep in my opinion
I only go slightly past parallel. Too far past parallel and I lose all tension in the muscles that I'm working, and it places more emphasis on the shoulders than I prefer.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-17-2013 at 02:36 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #163
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
But the point from doing dips is to workout chest and tris. There is no need to go all the way down to workout shoulders. Even without weights, my shoulders ache when I go all the way down.

Two moves that strain shoulders for most people. Behind the head pull-downs and going all the way down on dips. For the lucky few who don't have shoulder issues, they can do those moves. They'll benefit from it like you're saying.
I disagree with the bolded part. I do a dip to work the entire range of motion. Maybe I am just lucky with my lack of injuries though.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #164
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I only go slightly past parallel. Too far past parallel and I lose all tension in the muscles that I'm working, and it places more emphasis on the shoulders than I prefer.
Fair enough. I don't really do any dedicated shoulder work, so I try to hit as much as I can from these kinds of movements.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #165
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
when you guys are discussing weighted dips, are you talking tricep dips (as upright as possible with elbows in tight to body) or chest dips (tilted far forward, wider elbows).
Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #166
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
when you guys are discussing weighted dips, are you talking tricep dips (as upright as possible with elbows in tight to body) or chest dips (tilted far forward, wider elbows).
If I'm doing bar dips I usually lean over a bit but I am usually more upright when I do them on the rings (which is more often).
Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #167
M3Inline6

Quote:
Fair enough. I don't really do any dedicated shoulder work, so I try to hit as much as I can from these kinds of movements.
Ah okay! I do a lot of dedicated shoulder work (..military press, reverse cable/dumbbell flies, lateral raises, etc.).

Quote:
I do both! My elbows also never bow out.....I just adjust the tilt angle.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #168
z00
Banned User

I do dips tilted forward. Your tris still get worked out but not as much as when you're pressing straight. Dips for upper body is like squats for lower body.

Quote:
That's why. I lift 4 days/w. One of them is mostly for shoulders.
Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #169
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
hmm i only do bodyweight tricep dips where I am upright as possible, those kill. Done chest dips before but never really included them much in routines, I prefer a mix of flat/incline barbell & dumbbell presses with some flies and cable isolation work

might try some weighted chest dips to see where I am at, I do tricep dips after my chest workouts and I can only get about 8-10 with just bodyweight so no need for additional weight
Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #170
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
I do dips tilted forward. Your tris still get worked out but not as much as when you're pressing straight. Dips for upper body is like squats for lower body.

That's why. I lift 4 days/w. One of them is mostly for shoulders.
I've been getting this weird burning sensation in my chest from dips lately. It's strange and I don't know what it is.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #171
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Did weighted pull-ups with 45lbs AND fat grips for 5x5. My forearms are completely trashed. Can't even grip my bat today. Haha
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #172
BreakMyWallet

I haven't been able to do dips since my shoulder surgery. I'd only do ring ones if I got back into it though.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #173
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Did weighted pull-ups with 45lbs AND fat grips for 5x5. My forearms are completely trashed. Can't even grip my bat today. Haha
Quote:
I haven't been able to do dips since my shoulder surgery. I'd only do ring ones if I got back into it though.
that's all I do.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #174
M3Inline6

Whatz iz diz fatz gripz youz speakz ofz!??
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #175
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Whatz iz diz fatz gripz youz speakz ofz!??
it's a cover for the barbell that makes the grip fat lol
Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #176
z00
Banned User

Keep your elbows tucked in when you do dips. I see some guys doing them with their elbows wide open. I noticed when I let my elbows out chest muscles don't feel right. Might not be exactly what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I've been getting this weird burning sensation in my chest from dips lately. It's strange and I don't know what it is.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #177
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
impressive, i admire your strength. chest dips ftw too
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #178
BreakMyWallet

By the end of the set with the fat gripz you literally are hanging by your fingers squeezing to hold on. Absolutely terrible the next day
Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #179
M3Inline6

Quote:
By the end of the set with the fat gripz you literally are hanging by your fingers squeezing to hold on. Absolutely terrible the next day
My hands are small, so everything feels like a fat grip to me.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #180
BreakMyWallet

I guarantee they aren't smaller then mine. Haha