E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
e46beater

My Ride: 00 328i
Car wanders/pulls

Having an issue locating the cause of why my car wants to pull on the road. Its unlike a normal alignment issue because you can let go of the wheel and the car drives straight. Its more or less when the road is a little uneven or has a groove the car seems to catch it and pull that direction very easily and getting the wheel to stay centered requires more effort.

When I purchased the car the owner said it was just aligned but they didn't have the spec sheet (supposed to be aligned according to the BMW spec). I just replaced the LCA mounts/bushings and the problem still persists. Also there is no real abnormal wear only some light feathering on each inner tire.

Any suggestions on what to look at next? Could caster (if adjustable?) be out of adjustment? The car has 150k on it and i'm sure there's some other worn out parts they maybe contributing to the problem.
e46beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
Having an issue locating the cause of why my car wants to pull on the road. Its unlike a normal alignment issue because you can let go of the wheel and the car drives straight. Its more or less when the road is a little uneven or has a groove the car seems to catch it and pull that direction very easily and getting the wheel to stay centered requires more effort.

When I purchased the car the owner said it was just aligned but they didn't have the spec sheet (supposed to be aligned according to the BMW spec). I just replaced the LCA mounts/bushings and the problem still persists. Also there is no real abnormal wear only some light feathering on each inner tire.

Any suggestions on what to look at next? Could caster (if adjustable?) be out of adjustment? The car has 150k on it and i'm sure there's some other worn out parts they maybe contributing to the problem.
See sig, second link, scroll to bonus. Personally verify that a proper alignment is done.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
e46beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
See sig, second link, scroll to bonus. Personally verify that a proper alignment is done.

Awesome link thank you very much for the info. I sort of assumed with this many miles I'm probably looking at replacing most components. I just bought tie rod ends and new lower control arms. Struts are next.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Awesome link thank you very much for the info. I sort of assumed with this many miles I'm probably looking at replacing most components. I just bought tie rod ends and new lower control arms. Struts are next.
Yep its just the way it is. Most wandering problems is alignment and RTABs. but it's best to replace as much as you can.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Could be your tires too. Some tires tramline really badly, especially when they start to get worn, like Falken FK452s.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
e46beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Could be your tires too. Some tires tramline really badly, especially when they start to get worn, like Falken FK452s.
Failed to mention they are new bridgestone 225 tires on stock 17x8 wheels. Thanks for the help though!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Check your tire pressure too...use door jamb pressure to start and modify slightly from there if needed.

Bet your front tires are too high.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
e46beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Check your tire pressure too...use door jamb pressure to start and modify slightly from there if needed.

Bet your front tires are too high.

Pressure in check thanks though
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

OP. Next time you drive your car try this:

Get up to speed (around 30 mph) in 2nd gear then safely hit the gas. Does the rear end wag or step out to the side?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
e46beater

Quote:
OP. Next time you drive your car try this:

Get up to speed (around 30 mph) in 2nd gear then safely hit the gas. Does the rear end wag or step out to the side?
Tried it a few times last night... the combo of a anemic auto and no hp not much happened, the car goes fairly straight.

I did notice something this morning though, I took a friend to work today and the problem seemed worse he's around 250lbs or so.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
123Shift

My Ride: 2001 325i
e46beater- any updates or is the car still wandering? I've been experiencing the exact same problem with my 325i with only 45k miles. I notice it more on blacktop which is softer and more likely to have concave road sections than on concrete which is harder. I did the control arms and bushings with little improvement. I read in another thread the steering guibo is often the culprit. I'm waiting on that to see if it helps but I'm not that enthusiastic as my steering seems tight and no clunk in the column. If not I'm going to swap my front tires to the rear because they aren't matching and see if that has any effect. Other people have also suggested tie rods and RTABS as well as strut bushings. Its driving me nuts. I hold the wheel straight on a straight highway, next thing I know I'm headed into the other lane. Keeps me paying attention though! LOL
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
e46beater

This week I changed out the suspension which was completely blown, I think that had a lot to do with it. I noticed while under the car the rear TAB's seem loose as well. Havent been able to drive the car due to the weather but I'll let you know how it drives now with the suspension change.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
e46beater

Ive driven the car since the suspension upgrade and its a lot better, I didnt realize how blown my struts were but it did contribute a lot to the problem. I still have something loose in the steering as at a stop I can turn the wheel and hear a decent clunk side to side. I need to dig into that next then get everything realigned.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
123Shift

That sounds like the common symptoms of the steering guibo. Cost is about 50 bucks and from what I've read a pretty easy diy. I'm looking to do mine this weekend.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
e46beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Shift View Post
That sounds like the common symptoms of the steering guibo. Cost is about 50 bucks and from what I've read a pretty easy diy. I'm looking to do mine this weekend.

Got one on the way! Thanks for the feedback. Let me know how it goes
Old 03-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
123Shift

Put it in today. Went in easily but didn't see much difference. Think the old one was just fine. Now my steering wheel is not centered. Now I have to figure out how to fix this. Seems it always something!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
e46beater

Good to know.. I have to be honest even my 300k Integra drove better than this car.. its amazing how many front end issues this car can have.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Good to know.. I have to be honest even my 300k Integra drove better than this car.. its amazing how many front end issues this car can have.
completely different suspension design. the particular 3-series suspension formula demands lots of work from the bushings. it's a high-performing, yet high-wear suspension. it's suited for the type of car that must handle well yet ride comfortably.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
e46beater

Quote:
completely different suspension design. the particular 3-series suspension formula demands lots of work from the bushings. it's a high-performing, yet high-wear suspension. it's suited for the type of car that must handle well yet ride comfortably.
Ok has more front end issues than my 06 WRX Sti with 275 slicks with 115k on it lol. Even comparing apples to oranges my BMW has had a cushy life and still demands more maintenance on the front end than those two cars or even my 03 Duramax that pulls the STi to events lol
Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Ok has more front end issues than my 06 WRX Sti with 275 slicks with 115k on it lol. Even comparing apples to oranges my BMW has had a cushy life and still demands more maintenance on the front end than those two cars or even my 03 Duramax that pulls the STi to events lol
Yep. like i said. BMWs have to do two jobs since it's a BMW (luxury brand)

it must ride comfortably yet perform at a high level. Good luck on an integra or sti riding comfortably. (former Impreza owner here)

A lot is asked of the BMW bushing system. that is why they wear quickly.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS