E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #61
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Both the Tiahrt Amendment and the provision that requires senate approval to appoint a director to the ATF were passed during the previous administration.

It's not what you think it is.
There is an acting director and deputy director so its not like leadership isn't in place. Obama's current pick for the director seat holds the director seat as we speak so who gives a shi*.

They allowed guns to walk across the border while at the same time criticized americans for being a part of the murders tha took place because of our lax gun control.

2000 guns were put there by the ATF.

On November 23, 2012, two firearms linked to the ATF were found at the scene of a shootout between Sinaloa cartel members and the Mexican military. One of the weapons was an AK-47 type rifle trafficked by Fast and Furious suspect Uriel Patino, and the other was an FN Herstal pistol originally purchased by an ATF agent. Mexican beauty queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez and four others were killed.

Since the end of Operation Fast and Furious, related firearms have continued to be discovered in criminal hands. As reported in September 2011, the Mexican government stated that an undisclosed number of guns found at about 170 crime scenes were linked to Fast and Furious. It is estimated that 200 people have been killed by guns traced to fast and furious.

They are grossly incompetent and Vice crime should be handled at the state level by officers that have a better understanding of whats going on in their backyard.

This has nothing to do with liberal vs conservative as both administrations have allowed this to go on. I simply blame the ATF.

They should be disbanded and responsibilities should be moved to the state level and the FBI.

Last edited by MrWesson; 01-18-2013 at 08:51 AM.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #62
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
There is an acting director and deputy director so its not like leadership isn't in place.
The director works part time!

I hate to blame one side, but this appears to be the typical Republican approach of underfund and undercut until an agency can't function well anymore, then argue to eliminate it because it's not working well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I would love to hear what Busa would have done
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I'd like to know how Busa would handle this situation.
Quote:
What are we to do?
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #63
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:

I hate to blame one side, but this appears to be the typical Republican approach of underfund and undercut until an agency can't function well anymore, then argue to eliminate it because it's not working well.
There has not been a director in 6 years. All 6 of those years were under Democratic control.

Who's the one that should be blamed?

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #64
MrWesson

Quote:

Blame the incompetence of governement in general. The democrats are just to blame in all this.

The major point of all these threads and the reason we are upset on our side is simple.

Assault style weapons contribute to a tiny percentage of crime so why are they after them?

Why pick a scapegoat instead of meeting the problem with a direct solution.

If you want gun free zones then you have to spend money to protect them. Its that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
There has not been a director in 6 years. All 6 of those years were under Democratic control.

Who's the one that should be blamed?
X2

Its not the people themselves who are to blame the fact is you put a bunch of save the world dopes in a room and tell them to write laws all day.

Nothing gets done and the things that do probably shouldn't.

I think the ATF should be disbanded personally but since it exists maybe a full time guy running the place isn't a bad idea.

The only problem with that is who appoints them and at what point do they use their own beliefs to "direct".

It always has to be someone extreme and never someone who comes from the center spectrum. Obama wants liberals in charge and conservatives before him were no different.

Hate Bush all you want but at least the guy was a mild/centrist republican.

Last edited by MrWesson; 01-18-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #65
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
Hate Bush all you want but at least the guy was a mild/centrist republican.
Reagan was a in support of a gun ban:

Ford, Carter, Reagan Push for Gun Ban
In their letter, the three former presidents said: "This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. . . . Although assault weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime. . . .
"While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.
"We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons."
Need more?
Congressman Scott Klug, a Republican from Wisconsin was an opponent of the assault weapon ban and the day before the vote stated his opposition to the ban. Klug only changed his voted after "a last minute plea from President Reagan" in the form of a handwritten note.
"Dear Scott: As a longtime gun owner and supporter of the right to bear arms, I, too, have carefully thought about this issue. I am convinced that the limitations imposed in this bill are absolutely necessary," Reagan wrote Klug. "I know there is heavy pressure on you to go the other way, but I strongly urge you to join me in supporting this bill. It must be passed. Sincerely, Ronald Reagan." http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ising-details/
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #66
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:

In their letter, the three former presidents said: "This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. . . . Although assault weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime. . . .
"While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.
"We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons."
Need more?
Congressman Scott Klug, a Republican from Wisconsin was an opponent of the assault weapon ban and the day before the vote stated his opposition to the ban. Klug only changed his voted after "a last minute plea from President Reagan" in the form of a handwritten note.
"Dear Scott: As a longtime gun owner and supporter of the right to bear arms, I, too, have carefully thought about this issue. I am convinced that the limitations imposed in this bill are absolutely necessary," Reagan wrote Klug. "I know there is heavy pressure on you to go the other way, but I strongly urge you to join me in supporting this bill. It must be passed. Sincerely, Ronald Reagan." http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ising-details/
A few things. First, they point to weapons like a TEC 9, which is neither a military style weapon, nor is it an assault weapon. They come in two flavors, and one is illegal without NFA approval. Second, those numbers a skewed. The actual numbers are less than 3.6% used in crime, and there are some odd millions of ARs in circulation.

Third, the letter was written by another person, and the names placed on it. It is quite clear, especially considering Reagan was diagnosed later that year, your source even states that.
Fourth... The Blaze???

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #67
MrWesson

Quote:

Need more?
Didn't I say bush?

Why are you talking about Reagan?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #68
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
This thread is hilarious.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #69
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
A few things. First, they point to weapons like a TEC 9, which is neither a military style weapon, nor is it an assault weapon. They come in two flavors, and one is illegal without NFA approval. Second, those numbers a skewed. The actual numbers are less than 3.6% used in crime, and there are some odd millions of ARs in circulation.

Third, the letter was written by another person, and the names placed on it. It is quite clear, especially considering Reagan was diagnosed later that year, your source even states that.
Fourth... The Blaze???
So your excuse was that Reagan had lost his mind? Should he have been allowed to have guns at that stage?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #70
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
How can we enforce existing gun laws when law enforcement's hands are tied? Why are we ok with the NRA (and the GOP) blocking our attempts to control illegal fire arms? Could it be they aren't looking out for gun owners, but rather manufactures and dealers?

And why isn't this more talked about?
Hands tied? I guess no one told Bloomberg and Rahm.