E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 4.73 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #101
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
Looks like I would need a shock/strut combo that accepts lowering springs, and the Bilstein Touring isn't one of them. I'll stick with my current springs. Going to be ordering all of this pretty soon. Looking forward to getting it on my car.
I have Bilstein Sports on mine and I absolutely love them. They perform REALLY well under aggressive driving!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #102
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Why isn't this thread stickied? Look at all the comments and discussion and wealth of knowledge when compared to the other thread

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #103
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I have Bilstein Sports on mine and I absolutely love them. They perform REALLY well under aggressive driving!
I actually did end up with the Bilstein Touring and I have been very, very happy with them so far. They are said to be 10% stiffer than stock but I wouldn't know what a factory suspension felt like because all my suspension components had 153k miles on them. Both rear shocks were completely dead and I was basically riding on springs. Front struts had some rebound but was extremely slow to and the handling was very sloppy. Car rides 1000 times better and it handles great. I do have some slight understeer at the limit that I completely attribute to my worn, non sporty Continental tires. I'm looking at a few choices and I'm taking the car to get re-aligned in a few weeks because my buddy who did the previous alignment (no charge) didn't have the proper tools for the rear and the car tramlines like crazy.

One very happy BMW owner here. Total suspension rebuilt was $500. That's crazy cheap compared to my old Cadillac.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #104
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
I actually did end up with the Bilstein Touring and I have been very, very happy with them so far. They are said to be 10% stiffer than stock but I wouldn't know what a factory suspension felt like because all my suspension components had 153k miles on them. Both rear shocks were completely dead and I was basically riding on springs. Front struts had some rebound but was extremely slow to and the handling was very sloppy. Car rides 1000 times better and it handles great. I do have some slight understeer at the limit that I completely attribute to my worn, non sporty Continental tires. I'm looking at a few choices and I'm taking the car to get re-aligned in a few weeks because my buddy who did the previous alignment (no charge) didn't have the proper tools for the rear and the car tramlines like crazy.

One very happy BMW owner here. Total suspension rebuilt was $500. That's crazy cheap compared to my old Cadillac.

Awesome!

And thanks Flash for the recommendation on this being stickied. Between the part#s and complete listing, I think it's helpful too!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #105
juslookin

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
subbed for later use
juslookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #106
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by juslookin View Post
subbed for later use
Good idea. I think this should be stickied since it appeals to a broad audience (pretty much the entire audience)

Hell, I even use it myself when friends ask me questions! I have to fish for it though!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #107
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Question for those that have updated their suspensions. I've attached a PDF of a list I've compiled of stuff to buy aside from shocks and struts. Is this overkill?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suspension.pdf (408.5 KB, 166 views)

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #108
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
Question for those that have updated their suspensions. I've attached a PDF of a list I've compiled of stuff to buy aside from shocks and struts. Is this overkill?
Not in the slightest. I've replaced all of that stuff on mine. it's cheap

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 AM   #109
nehiuno

My Ride: 330
Would either one of these kits be a all in one besides the contrôlée arm bushings. For me to start my overhaul
Thanks in advance for your. Reply. I've been surching for days to find a full kit for best price because I am on a budget but want to do it right.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ngs/ES2593733/

Or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-325X...71526f&vxp=mtr. Includes bumb stops
nehiuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #110
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

both look fine to me

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #111
nehiuno

My Ride: 330
Sweet thanks.
nehiuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #112
terzinator

My Ride: 325iT 5-sp RWD Sport
In your original post, you mention that one should get an alignment after doing the RTABs... but what about for other bits?

Do you recommend getting an alignment after doing the CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS only?

After replacing struts/springs?

After ANY suspension adjustments/replacements?

(Could get expensive unless you do everything at once, but just curious as to the consensus on this.)

E46FANATICS Touring Forum!

Last edited by terzinator; Today at 11:56 PM. REASON: Fear.

Last edited by terzinator; 02-25-2013 at 08:55 AM.
terzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #113
aurelius

My Ride: ZHP Sedan + 2 E30s
correction on front strut mount p/n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post

Associated hardware

Strut mount (2 per car), part number 31336752735
Regarding the front strut mounts (also called guide supports), the part number quoted above is for certain E39 and X3 models.

Per realoem, these days it appears BMW sells a kit which includes 5 different pieces, including the mount itself. Diagram below indicates part number for the kit you need depends on whether your E46 was built prior to November, 2003. But then again the "early" part number doesn't seem valid and or available.

If anyone knows if the "later" number can be used on <11/2003 build dates, do tell.

Note there is also apparently a core charge, so save your old parts.

Last edited by aurelius; 03-19-2013 at 02:52 PM.
aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #114
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
In your original post, you mention that one should get an alignment after doing the RTABs... but what about for other bits?

Do you recommend getting an alignment after doing the CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS only?

After replacing struts/springs?

After ANY suspension adjustments/replacements?

(Could get expensive unless you do everything at once, but just curious as to the consensus on this.)
CABs=yes. Camber can change and as a result, toe could be affected.

RTABs=yes.

Struts=likely not affected but by removing the strut body, you can possibly change the camber slightly.

Springs=yes especially if different height.

Do as many components as you can together at one time. your car may/may not feel fine after getting the above components done, but unless you get it on a rack, you'll never know for sure. your tires will tell you though after some time

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #115
aurelius

My Ride: ZHP Sedan + 2 E30s
Bump for post #113.

Cannot imagine a standard wear part such as the strut mount is NLA on E46 cars built prior to November '03.
aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #116
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

all e46 mounts should physically fit all years. i haven't seen any information that says otherwise. just go to your favorite vendor, plug in your car year and voila.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/ES50765/

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #117
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2008 135i M-Sport
I have done 1 and 2 already. 3 looks scary.

My hellrot sedan thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...382&highlight=
E46Enthusiast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #118
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
I just wanted to say thank you for putting this thread together. It was a great reference point as I got all my suspension parts together.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #119
amnesiak

My Ride: 2001 325i
Hi all, I've got a 2001 325i with 185k and the sport suspension (or what's left of it, ha). I'm in desperate need of a suspension refresh. I've got a couple of additional questions on this incredibly useful thread.

1: I drive a lot in snow & rough roads - I live in Seattle but I ski almost 100 days a year, camp, etc. I am considering the Bilstein B12 kit (sport, with eibach prokit springs). Would the adjustment in ride height negatively impact my "offroad" activities much?
2: For such a non-stock strut and shock kit, such as the bilstein kit, are the bump stops necessary?

Thanks again - this forum has already saved me thousands of dollars.
amnesiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #120
blitzyj

My Ride: 318i e46
Thanks for this thread. Still need some advice:

I have replaced my front control arms + bushings, tie rods and sway bar links. Still my e46 is very unstable at bulky roads, steering wheel pulls towards left / right creating dangerous situations.

The front struts seem a little bit rusted, could this be the issue of an unstable e46? My car has 110,000 miles and dont know if they recently been replaced. Hope someone can help me on this.

Last edited by blitzyj; 04-06-2013 at 06:39 AM.
blitzyj is offline   Reply With Quote