E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #2621
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
If only there was a thread for discussing the SAFE Act....
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #2622
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
If only there was a thread for discussing the SAFE Act....

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #2623
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
we can all only hope that the civil rights and other pro 2A and pro gun groups that have current lawsuits against the state and its legislators for passing the SAFE act win their suits. i have little faith that they will win but im trying to be optimistic.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #2624
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Do you have a registered SBR? or do you want to go through the NFA process? If it's your only AR i'd probably lean
towards 16", it's a lot easier to take it out of state and travel with too.
Yea I guess I can always get it later.. have to talk to my buddy in ATF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
umm... where are these???
Waiting to hear back after Shot Show.. they told me Feb 11
https://danieldefense.com/rifles/law...nt-rifles.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Always get a 16" upper first, but after that go ahead and get an SBR. Personally, I love my 11.5" and it's my favorite rifle. The rifle is ridiculously reliable and durable (which is mainly because of the high quality components, including a DD barrel and gas block). 11.5" is the ideal SBR length IMO. It's as short as you can get and still have it be consistently reliable. 10.3/10.5" uppers are sometimes good, and sometimes problematic, but 11.5" ones are generally all pretty good. Obviously, manufacturer and components make the difference across the board.

In terms of which one is more advantageous, it's all subjective to what you want it for. For CQB use and closer range training (inside 100yds), the 11.5" really excels. When traveling with an SBR, you have to be aware of where you are going since some states ban them. In contrast, the 16" is legal everywhere, and they tend to be a little bit more accurate at longer range due to the higher velocities produced (makes no difference inside 100yds though, it's not generally any quantifiable difference). The 16" barrels aren't as loud either.
I have the SBR for work so this would just be the fun toy. So I'll probably go with the longer of the two. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #2625
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Gotcha.

Talking to one of the managers at our local shop, he's really worried that the owner is going to be out of business soon. They've been selling stuff like crazy, but can't get any inventory to replace it.

Would be very sad to see a local, veteran-owned small business have to close.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #2626
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Quote:
Gotcha.

Talking to one of the managers at our local shop, he's really worried that the owner is going to be out of business soon. They've been selling stuff like crazy, but can't get any inventory to replace it.

My local store is down to mostly used guns...

He has sold EVERYTHING semi-auto, including rifles & pistols... everything he has left is bolt or pump action.

He gets shipments every day - but they're gone by end of business each day..
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #2627
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Gotcha.

While I also find it horrible that small, locally owned places go out of business, I kinda see this as an example of poor money management.

Whether they sell 5 guns in 5 days or 5 guns in one day, the profit should be the same. And with the recent increase in gun prices, they should be making a killing. So regardless of if they can't keep stuff on the shelves, as long as the shipments keep coming at the same, or close to same, pace they should be just fine. It's the same as getting paid once a month or every week, the only difference is budgeting.

BTW, went to Gander Mtn over lunch today...they don't even have bricks of .22LR on the shelf. WTF??? They did, however, have about 200rds of 5.56mm on the shelf though.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-18-2013 at 02:27 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #2628
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
While I also find it horrible that small, locally owned places go out of business, I kinda see this as an example of poor money management.

Whether they sell 5 guns in 5 days or 5 guns in one day, the profit should be the same. And with the recent increase in gun prices, they should be making a killing. So regardless of if they can't keep stuff on the shelves, as long as the shipments keep coming at the same, or close to same, pace they should be just fine. It's the same as getting paid once a month or every week, the only difference is budgeting.

BTW, went to Gander Mtn over lunch today...they don't even have bricks of .22LR on the shelf. WTF??? They did, however, have about 200rds of 5.56mm on the shelf though.
But your employer doesn't suddenly tell you that they are having difficulty finding work for you... these stores can't get rifles to even put on their shelves. The market can't handle this type of demand and the guys who get fawked over are the stores who aren't allowed to really profit much off the price spike.

We've all seen the heckling taking place on this for retailers that are jacking up prices.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #2629
TSR6

Quote:

...and how many after you left?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #2630
king kong

My Ride: mid-engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
...and how many after you left?
I was thinking that too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #2631
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:

Your math is off. These guys sell 5 guns in 5 days but then can't sell Ny more because they can't get anymore.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #2632
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Called my local place yesterday right before closing, asked if they have any ruger 10/22s in stock....he had 5. Got there this morning at 11 (1 hour after opening) and they were all sold out. Their shelves are bare, and they ALWAYS had a ton of stuff. Their walls used to be filled with ARs. Their Glock case looked like it was robbed. He told me people are buying anything semi auto they can get their hands on.

I am actually of belief now that congress won't pass any AWB nor any new gun legislation. My worry is states starting to go apesh!t like NY.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #2633
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
But your employer doesn't suddenly tell you that they are having difficulty finding work for you... these stores can't get rifles to even put on their shelves. The market can't handle this type of demand and the guys who get fawked over are the stores who aren't allowed to really profit much off the price spike.

We've all seen the heckling taking place on this for retailers that are jacking up prices.
This is more the problem. If he's got no inventory, or severely reduced inventory, coming in, there's no point in keeping people around. If his money coming in every month is less than his money going out, it becomes less and less useful to keep his doors open.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #2634
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I love my bad ass ambi safety. I really like the regular/short lever combo. Another to consider would be the noveske/magpul short throw

Install took 5-10 min and probably 2 minutes for somebody who isn't retarded like me. Every gun i build will get the badass safety from now on

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Did a bunch of drills yesterday, strong and weak side and I definitely prefer the standard/short over the standard/short-thin.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #2635
TSR6

Bit the bullet... Gun shop text me, said he had 420 rounds for $250 with my name on it. Perfect timing...wife is away for the day with the girls...

Federal 5.56
Old 01-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #2636
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
i remember when i was paying 160 for that shit...

Old 01-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #2637
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
Bit the bullet... Gun shop text me, said he had 420 rounds for $250 with my name on it. Perfect timing...wife is away for the day with the girls...

Federal 5.56
Not terrible...I would probably have been in for 1000 rounds at that rate. It sucks, but at least I'd have something to feed the M16

Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #2638
TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
i remember when i was paying 160 for that shit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Not terrible...I would probably have been in for 1000 rounds at that rate. It sucks, but at least I'd have something to feed the M16
Yeah.. I have been paying $0.50/round (plus tax) for AE .223 in 100 round packs, $0.65/round (plus tax) for Israeli made 5.56, this is $0.59/round for Fed 5.56 (no tax).

Regardless, I'm set for a while...
Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #2639
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
2,000 lake city 5.56 rounds shipping from sportsman guide. Quite surprised it shipped this early. I only bought it for like $350 a piece. I might just flip them.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #2640
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
2,000 lake city 5.56 rounds shipping from sportsman guide. Quite surprised it shipped this early. I only bought it for like $350 a piece. I might just flip them.
Jesus...lucky bastard. When did you order it?