E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 AM   #41
tigermj

My Ride: 1999 318i E46
hi newb here

recently bought a 1999 318i e46 1.9L with already 189k

previous owner of the car does his own oil change. reading the thread and it seems that BMWise is the place to go. Im planning of doing oil change service and called them for a quote and told me a base price of 280aud. didn't have the time to ask details of the service but anybody knows what kind of oil and oil filter do they use? do they use OEM oil and oil filter? and does the base price includes any other extras like top up fluid etc.

Wanted to know if its worth going there for minor service such as oil change or can do it to other non exclusive BMW service center which quote me for 149aud using valvoline oil but i think the package price (also include top up, check belts, suspension etc)only applies for using semi synthetic oil but probably add more cash if full synthetic but still cheaper than BMWise

thanks

Last edited by tigermj; 01-17-2013 at 04:22 AM.
tigermj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #42
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermj View Post
hi newb here

recently bought a 1999 318i e46 1.9L with already 189k

previous owner of the car does his own oil change. reading the thread and it seems that BMWise is the place to go. Im planning of doing oil change service and called them for a quote and told me a base price of 280aud. didn't have the time to ask details of the service but anybody knows what kind of oil and oil filter do they use? do they use OEM oil and oil filter? and does the base price includes any other extras like top up fluid etc.

Wanted to know if its worth going there for minor service such as oil change or can do it to other non exclusive BMW service center which quote me for 149aud using valvoline oil but i think the package price (also include top up, check belts, suspension etc)only applies for using semi synthetic oil but probably add more cash if full synthetic but still cheaper than BMWise

thanks
They have all the equipment, work all day on bimmers, use all the proper stuff and are straight up guys. The other mob you mentioned wouldn't even know about rear subframe cracking.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #43
tigermj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaD View Post
They have all the equipment, work all day on bimmers, use all the proper stuff and are straight up guys. The other mob you mentioned wouldn't even know about rear subframe cracking.
Thanks for the heads up

Just recently purchased the bimmer and don't have a straight up service history records when i got it. wanted to start with the basic stuff like change oil and fluid checks and work from there. Still contemplating if ill do the tranny fluid drain / change since it is already 189k but tranny's performance is at par. Just wanted to be proactive but need to confirm to whoever will be handling my e46 if its really required for now.

currently searching some thread on service tips that needs to be done to help keep my bimmer in top condition. I know it will be a lot (esp. lot of cash which i don't have right now )

After fluid checks don't know whats next

thanks

Last edited by tigermj; 01-18-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #44
Rob32R

My Ride: BMW 530i E60,VW R32
Heard a lot of good reviews about BM Connections in Adelaide their work ethic and knowledge, as well as customer service is second to none.
Rob32R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #45
tigermj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob32R View Post
Heard a lot of good reviews about BM Connections in Adelaide their work ethic and knowledge, as well as customer service is second to none.
Thanks for the info. Will check it out
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #46
3one8

My Ride: 318i
Hi Just got my 318 serviced, and wanted to give a thumbs up to the guys at BM Wise again for great service and advice.
3one8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #47
tigermj

what brand of oil is used by BMwise when they do oil change service ? are they using OEM oil filter ? or only the dealership uses OEM oil filters?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #48
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
They use OEM stuff.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #49
tigermj

is there a big difference in using oem oil filter versus non oem ?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #50
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
if you're doing it yourself why not just oem? the price difference is very small.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #51
tigermj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ating View Post
if you're doing it yourself why not just oem? the price difference is very small.
no i can't do it myself coz i don't have the tools and space . Will there be much effect on the condition of the car using oem versus non oem filters ?

Last edited by tigermj; 08-17-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #52
Davconelectric

My Ride: 330
BMWise- Best Adelaide BMW Service

None

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #53
tigermj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
None

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #54
tigermj

BMWise quoted 280aud for engine oil /filter change and not sure if it is just pure oil change and no other similar checks, re grease or top ups of fluid as similar to bmw inspection I below? or it would be a separate service ?

The BMW Inspection 1 Service
This is the less involved service for your BMW design to assure the safety and functionality of your vehicle.

Undercar

Change engine oil and Oil Filter, check engine at is at normal operation temperature.
Check for transmission leaks.
Check for rear axle leaks.
Visually check fuel tank, lines, and connections for leaks.
Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Check for leaks.
Check power steering system for leaks.
Check thickness of front and rear disc brake pads.
Check brake disc surfaces.
Clean brake pad contact points in calipers.
Grease wheel center hubs.
Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage, and joint disc.
Check front control arm bushing for wear.
Check brake and clutch system connectors and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
Check for free movement of the parking brake cables. Adjust parking brake if necessary.
Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary.
Check condition of tires (outer surfaces (left/right)), tread wear and pattern; In case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if required.

Engine Compartment

Scan diagnostic system with BMW scan tool.
Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks.
Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir; add fluid if required.
Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
Check air conditioner for operation.
Reset Service Indicator.

Body/Electrical

Check battery electrolyte level and add distilled water if required.
Perform battery load test.
Check lighting system, i.e. headlights, fog-lights, parking, backup, license plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated makeup mirrors, luggage compartment lights.
Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
Check wiper and washer system(s); wiper blades, washer jet positions.
Check condition and function of safety belts.
Oil hood, trunk/tailgate, and door hinges.
Grease hood, trunk/tailgate and door latches. Check operation of all latches.
Check central locking/double lock.
Replace Cabin Filter if applicable.
Check heater/air conditioner blower, rear window defogger.
Check rear view mirrors
Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn cover, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations, or accessories.

Road Test

Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission.

thanks