E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
It's weird, I have the 2.5 with bolt ons and raced my friend from 3rd gear in his 330i with intake/full exhaust and we were dead even the entire time.

Is it me or do the m52 have more balls than the m54's because he should have walked me according to how fast everyone says the 330i is on this forum and make it seem the 323i can't get out of its own way. Both cars are 5 speed too

///M

Last edited by Redline; 01-19-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
metlic53

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
It's weird, I have the 2.5 with bolt ons and raced my friend from 3rd gear in his 330i with intake/full exhaust and we were dead even the entire time.

Is it me or do the m52 have more balls than the m54's because he should have walked me according to how fast everyone says the 330i is on this forum and make it seem the 323i can't get out of its own way. Both cars are 5 speed too
maybe your friend doesn't know how to drive
i also raced my friend in his 330i when i had the 2.5 and he was at 100 before i was at 80, i just raced him again after my motor swap and we were dead even but i pulled him from 100-120, maybe cuz my motor is 79k miles and his was 140k i dont know. I like my 3.0 alot better, before i couldn't spin the tires for nothing, now, i can sit there with the brakes on and spin the tires up and down the rpm range, in my 2.5, it simply wouldn't let me unless i screamed it to 7k rpms and dumped it and it still wouldnt keep the tires spinning. mines a 5 speed too. try driving your friends car and see if the outcome changes
metlic53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #23
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
What's wrong with your current motor? If I were going to drop that kind of coin on my E46 I'd use it on a limited slip diff.
Good post. This venture seems like a massive waste of time and money. If you're swapping engines, you'd better be making 300+whp to make it worth it.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
My current motor is am M52tuB25 with 184,450 miles. Lsd isnt a necessity. The porsche cayman has an open diff and does just fine.

I just want a quick revving, peaky, high compression motor that breathes and screams in upper rpms (yes i described the s54 but its not going to happen as im not spending 8k for a swap)

Problem with the s52 is reliability if i try to put dual vanos on it. And to have it done isnt cost effective. If i could put it in as is that would be great but idk how im going to handle the electronics. So too much of a headache.

Is it me or do the m52's rev a bit faster and sound a little meaner? Doesnt the 3.0 have lower compression than the 2.8?
The S52 is anything but a high revving screamer. I'd get an M54 and do the P&P and Shrick cams. Make sure you secure the OPN (ideally by getting an ATI damper).

Or an M52b28 and same deal. But if you're really working the motor- you'll eventually wish you had gone for the M54- because I believe it's peak numbers have the potential to be higher by just enough that it'd piss you off.

The M52s have proportionally more torque than the M54s IIRC, but the 330 is still stronger than the 328.

And the E36 M3 vs a 3.0 liter E46 is more or less a wash. E36s have even higher instances of OPN failure and the subframe itself can fail.

Last edited by Grande D; 01-19-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw, e46, engine swap