E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Nemesis251

My Ride: looking for M3
Right to walk away???

I've been looking for a M3 for a while and today I went to check out a Carbon Black vert at the local BMW dealership. The car had a little over 67,000 miles and the test drive was great. I asked for any service history that they could find but the salesperson was only able to get info up to around 39,000 miles. I asked if they could find out if Stage II inspection was done in which they told me no. The manager said they would do the inspection and take care of any problems if I would buy the car, I told him to call me after the inspection was done then we can talk. The manager then stated, "That's the best solution he could offer." I walked out. Was I right?
Nemesis251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Steezy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis251 View Post
I've been looking for a M3 for a while and today I went to check out a Carbon Black vert at the local BMW dealership. The car had a little over 67,000 miles and the test drive was great. I asked for any service history that they could find but the salesperson was only able to get info up to around 39,000 miles. I asked if they could find out if Stage II inspection was done in which they told me no. The manager said they would do the inspection and take care of any problems if I would buy the car, I told him to call me after the inspection was done then we can talk. The manager then stated, "That's the best solution he could offer." I walked out. Was I right?
They told you "no" on they didn't know if the inspection was done? Or they told you "no" as in it was not done?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
In my opinion...YES

Funny thing about cars...."There's another one just down the street".
Keep looking, you'll find your baby
Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Nemesis251

No as in they didn't know if it was done. The manager claimed the car was checked out by his service dept but could not say it has been done. Shouldn't that be tracked with the VIN once its done by a BMW dealer?

Last edited by Nemesis251; 01-19-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
3coupe

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Get it in writing and buy the car. Make sure it says any problem, that gives you the right to walk away for pretty much any reason if they don't fix it to your standard.
3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
AmazingNutz
Banned User

My Ride: carpet
First rule of buying a car: don't get attached to the car! Oh and BTW, never EVER trust someone when they tell you not to worry and that everything would be fixed when you come back or if you buy the car on the spot. Guess what? They ain't fixing shjt.

Sent from my G6
AmazingNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
mfanatic12

My Ride: O5 M3
Yes you did the right thing. I wouldn't of done anything different.

Last edited by mfanatic12; 01-19-2013 at 01:21 PM.
mfanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Steezy

Quote:
No as in they didn't know if it was done. The manager claimed the car was checked out by his service dept but could not say it has been done. Shouldn't that be tracked with the VIN once its done by a BMW dealer?
It can be tracked by VIN, ONLY if it was done by a BMW dealer. If it was done by an INDY shop, you can't track it. The only way of knowing is getting back to the previous owner(s). Don't fall into the dealer's BS. They say they will take care of everything, just so you can fall into it and buy the car... most likely if the valves need adjusting (part of inspection II) they probably won't do it. If the previous owner didn't do inspection II, who knows what else he's passed up on. I say wait and find a car you know has been maintained and taken care of.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
I wouldn't be scared off right away. If it's a nice, clean car, maybe the PO had an indy do all the work when the warranty ran up? If it's at a BMW dealership and they're selling it and not sending it to auction, chances are it's a decent car.

Plus they said they'd do inspection 2 for you, that's a big chunk of change there.

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS

Last edited by VonGeiss; 01-19-2013 at 01:43 PM.
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
I'm missing specifically why you walked away from the car. No-one is going to do a major Inspection on a car when you are making zero commitment to it. They said they would do the Inspection if you bought it. Thats reasonable. Just get an independent PPI, then agree to buy contingent upon the Inspection being done before delivery.

Re: no records after 39K miles - that means it was done at indy shops - which is probably true of >95% of cars that old. Short of finding a single owner car (probably about 1% of M3s out there now) - I'm not sure how you plan to improve upon that.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Nemesis251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm missing specifically why you walked away from the car. No-one is going to do a major Inspection on a car when you are making zero commitment to it. They said they would do the Inspection if you bought it. Thats reasonable. Just get an independent PPI, then agree to buy contingent upon the Inspection being done before delivery.

Re: no records after 39K miles - that means it was done at indy shops - which is probably true of >95% of cars that old. Short of finding a single owner car (probably about 1% of M3s out there now) - I'm not sure how you plan to improve upon that.
I understand the dealer not having the records. Not a issue. I asked for any info they had just because the more, the better. Being a BMW dealer, wouldn't they check the vehicle and inspect it before putting it out for sale? Wouldn't they know that anyone who has done some homework about a M3 would ask about that? I was upfront before even test driving the car that my only concern was the inspection. I told the manager that I didn't want to buy without the inspection done. I offered to come back in if they would do it. He offered to let me talk to the service manager, after waiting a little over 30 mins, the sales manager came back without the service manager asking if will buy the car if they did the inspection, I told him I want to buy the car but the inspection is my only concern. He replied, if I bought the car today, he would take care of any problems found. I told him I would like to wait till the inspection done, then go from there. The manager told me that's the best solution he could offer, I told him to have a nice day and left.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Nemesis251

The car in question:http://www.bmwofmobile.com/used/BMW/...af731a82c2.htm
Old 01-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
inspection II being done by the dealer, thats a HUGE amount of cash being saved, i did mine at an indy shop for 1300ish. i dont see why you walked away, get a PPI done if it checks out ok, and has SOME service records, why not buy?

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
d'ray18

My Ride: E90 335
Your first instinct is usually right.. Keep looking if felt uncomfortable..

2008 E90 335i
d'ray18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
They're not going to do Inspection II "on spec." Most buyers won't insist, and if they end up sending it off to auction, they won't get that investment back.
I'd have a PPI done, and then buy it contingent on Inspection II being done.
Sounds like the sales guy is a jerk, but you're not marrying him. Guy who sold me my car was a jerk too but the car was perfect.
I'd think a cold and snowy January is a good time to buy a convertible M3.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
They don't even know how to do math. Stay away.

The ad states "at $1050 below Kelly Blue Book..." They list the car at 23,990 and KBB price is 24,600 (again, these numbers are in THEIR ad)

To me, that is only $610 under KBB.
When sellers are this stupid, I tend to stay away. But that's just me.

IDK maybe u do math differently...
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #17
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
That's not always a bad thing, depending on how you manage it. They know different customers have different priorities. They're not going to invest in totally reconditioning the car when one customer may just need fresh floor mats and a full tank to be happy, and another would forgo cosmetics as long as a valve adjustment was done.

Just list the items on a make-ready. That way they know you're definitely buying, and the dealer MUST take care of everything on the list, as it's an integral part of the contract.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
yannis4ny

My Ride: 2004 325ci vert
this is it right? http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=CDM_U
This car has an accident, minor or major doesn't really matter, it drops the price because it had bodywork.
also the previous guy bought it on 06/25/2012! Why did he sell it?
I wouldn't buy this car. I consider you lucky for walking away!

Last edited by yannis4ny; 01-19-2013 at 08:57 PM.
yannis4ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
NICKBRUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonGeiss View Post
I wouldn't be scared off right away. If it's a nice, clean car, maybe the PO had an indy do all the work when the warranty ran up? If it's at a BMW dealership and they're selling it and not sending it to auction, chances are it's a decent car.

Plus they said they'd do inspection 2 for you, that's a big chunk of change there.
Seriously not ever car out there is going to have a full paper trail along with it. That doesn't mean it is a POS. If you could make the purchase contingent on completion of inspection 2 I don't see a problem, especially if you negotiated a price your happy with.

|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Kwipp

My Ride: lsb m3
Vert... yup walk away... But in all srs if they are willing to stand behind the car and do inspection two I would consider it. Inspection 2 is pricey.
Kwipp is offline   Reply With Quote