E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
B4MC1S

My Ride: 2004 M3 Mystic Blue
Question How does the TPMS on E46 M3 work?

I recently installed new rims. And my TPMS light is going off. I have searched countless post, but it does not answer my question. Are the TPMS for 2004 E46 M3 direct or indirect? Meaning is the sensor installed inside the wheel or is it based of the ABS. Also if it is not indirect, that means I will have to install new sensors on the new rims, right? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!
B4MC1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
All years M3 the sensors were based on dsc/abs/wheel speed-spin sensor. This meant that changing your rims (IE getting bigger rims) would change the way the system is reading the wheels.

Any change in rotational speeds and is senses like you got a flat tire.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
wildpig

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Convert
Outer diameter of all wheels must match original or else flat tire warnings will trigger.

Now I thought that if you hold down the tire warning button, shouldn't it reset and adapt to the new tire spec?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Look up the procedure to reset it. I can't quite remember how it's done. The light will go away. Don't worry.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
Outer diameter of all wheels must match original or else flat tire warnings will trigger.

Now I thought that if you hold down the tire warning button, shouldn't it reset and adapt to the new tire spec?

1. No

2. No

3. Read you manual.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
B4MC1S

I resolved the issue a while back. If you have the RED warning sign, press down the tire warning button to make it go away. But if you want your vehicle to recognize new wheels, press the tire warning button once so it lights up YELLOW. And drive your vehicle around while it's YELLOW and the YELLOW indicator will go away once vehicle recognizes your new setup.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4MC1S View Post
I resolved the issue a while back. If you have the RED warning sign, press down the tire warning button to make it go away. But if you want your vehicle to recognize new wheels, press the tire warning button once so it lights up YELLOW. And drive your vehicle around while it's YELLOW and the YELLOW indicator will go away once vehicle recognizes your new setup.

Thats interesting - but it is not the re-learn new diameters procedure.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
B4MC1S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thats interesting - but it is not the re-learn new diameters procedure.
I am not sure of any other methods of re-learning new diameters, but I followed the procedure mentioned in the manual: